Zenless Zone Zero tops gacha revenue chart for launch month, earns nearly $100 million on mobile alone

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
source: sensor tower

including pc and console it'll probably be over $150mil. Hoyo is dominating the gacha market right now with 5 entries in the top 10 of monthly revenue (china and global revenue are separate entries), ZZZ should have no problem clearing $1 billion in its first year. Screenshot 2024-08-01 12.47.21.png

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
I fucking hate gachas man, whoever invented this genre should go straight to hell. There's crazy stories of people spending a thousand dolars and not getting a single copy of the character they want

Last edited:

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
“Why does Sony/PS needs to make a gacha game at a first party level” “they have 3rd party to cover it”

Easy profit, easy growth, easy ip expansion (especially onto mobile)

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I fuckng hate gachas man, whoever invented this genre should go straight to hell. There's crazy stories of people spending a thousand dolars and not getting a single copy of the character they want
Thankfully there's enough competition in the space that that kind of system isn't tolerated any more. Early days were the wild west though, and fundamentally still a predatory system that relies on FOMO and artificial scarcity to make people spend

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
According to chinese outlet GameLook Zenless Zone Zero was estimated to have made ~$300-350 million in July

7月成绩最好的,毫无疑问是话题度拉满的《绝区零》。作为米家新作,游戏上线前就备受期待,首月全球全平台(含PC和PS主机)GameLook的预估流水更是达到惊人的22-25亿,一骑绝尘。
(my translation) "July's best performer is without a doubt the hot topic "Zenless Zone Zero". As the new game from Mihoyo, it was highly anticipated even before release. In its initial month, GameLook estimates that globally across all platforms (including PC and PS consoles) it reached an astonishing 2.2-2.5 billion yuan (CNY->$307-348 million USD) of revenue, far outstripping its peers."
以下为GameLook盘点的7月流水首破3000万的游戏产品名单:

·米哈游《绝区零》

7月(纳入统计28天)全球全平台预估流水22-25亿

作为7月的“唯一真神”,《绝区零》定档7月导致多款新游不得不改变档期,暂避锋芒。上线以来,游戏口碑在玩家社区意外出现明显的两极分化态势。至于《绝区零》是否成为了二游中首款高质量动作游戏,答案仁者见仁。

毋庸置疑的是,上线至今玩家对《绝区零》的讨论从未中断。如今从首月成绩来看,米哈游“翻车论”似乎可以休矣。

根据三方数据估算,《绝区零》海外手游端预估收入在3亿人民币左右;至于国区收入,如果iOS和安卓收入按1:1.5或1:2计算,大概在6亿-7亿左右——游戏全球手游端首月流水在10亿人民币左右。

当然和米家所有游戏相同,《绝区零》还有主机和PC收入,尤其此次还有米家战网加持,且海外同步上线EGS商店。根据GameLook观察,随着游戏包体越来越大、以及PC游玩的舒适性,如今二次元游戏收入结构中,PC端首月收入超过50%的产品已经越来越多。GameLook相对乐观以手游PC 收入比1:1计算,《绝区零》首月PC流水在10亿人民币左右。

至于主机端,游戏公测次日进入美国、英国、法国、德国、加拿大、日本等多个国家PS畅销榜前十,但亚洲成绩更突出:拿下日区PS畅销冠军,出现日区畅销榜前三被米哈游“御三家”霸占的情景——按照原神当年PS流水来保守估计,《绝区零》7月份的PS端收入在3-4亿人民币左右。

因此GameLook综合估计,《绝区零》首月全平台流水大概在22-25亿之间,也让米哈游护城河自此增加至三款游戏。下一代米家游戏《星布谷地》刚刚获得版号、正在路上,这可能是米哈游走出二次元藩篱的首款产品。
"Below is a list of games that broke 30 million CNY (~$4.2m USD) in July according to GameLook's accounting:
Mihoyo 'Zenless Zone Zero'

July (28 days counted) Global platform revenue estimated 2.2-2.5b CNY

The 'one true god' of July; many games shifted their schedules to avoid its launch ever since it was slated for a July release. Since launch it has elicited polarized opinions among players. The answer to whether it has become [mihoyo's] 2nd high caliber action game will depend on the individual.

Regardless, players have been actively debating the game since its launch, however these results seem to put the '[mihoyo] jumped the shark' (lit.: rollover crash) theory to bed.

According to 3rd party estimates, the global (non-CN) mobile revenue was estimated to be around 300m CNY ($42m USD). As for domestic revenues, if the iOS and android revenues are estimated at 1:1.5 or 1:2, that gives a figure of 600-700m CNY ($84-98m USD). Combined global mobile revenue would be around 1b CNY ($140m USD).

Of course, like other Mihoyo games, ZZZ also has PC and console revenue, of particular note is the simultaneous release on the mihoyo launcher (on pc) and the overseas epic games store. According to GameLook's observations, as game install sizes grow larger and the comfort of playing on PC increases, the revenue split of '2D' games (i.e. anime waifu collectors) has started to exceed 50% in the first month. GameLook's optimistic estimate places mobile game and PC revenue at a 1:1 split, meaning the PC revenue of ZZZ was 1b CNY in the first month.

As for consoles, the game entered the top 10 best sellers in the US, UK, France, Germany, Canada, Japan, and multiple other countries. Its performance in Asia was especially noteworthy - it obtained the title of best selling game in Japan, and the top 3 in Japan was dominated by Mihoyo's 'big 3'. Based on Genshin Impact's revenue, conservatively the PS accounted for 300-400m CNY in July ($42-56m USD).

Therefore GameLook estimates the total revenue of ZZZ in the first month to be 2.2b-2.5b CNY across all platforms, adding a 3rd big game to Mihoyo's fortress. Also, Mihoyo's next game, '星布谷地' (no official title yet, rumored to be some sort of animal crossing like game - lit translation 'starry cloth valley') has just gotten a version number and is on the way. This may be Mihoyo's first foray outside of the 2D game(waifu collector) space"

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I fucking hate gachas man, whoever invented this genre should go straight to hell. There's crazy stories of people spending a thousand dolars and not getting a single copy of the character they want
Facts and these games would be so much better if the gacha elements were removed.

“Why does Sony/PS needs to make a gacha game at a first party level” “they have 3rd party to cover it”

Easy profit, easy growth, easy ip expansion (especially onto mobile)
just cuz it’s good for Sony doesn’t mean it’s good for consumers…I already said other parts of Sony are free to do gacha and they already are, some doing extremely well. But “PlayStation” should be focused solely on PLAYSTATION. Mobile and PC are a waste of resources… and console gamers get less and lower quality products in the end.

26 Nov 2023

Those things don't happen as much now. Most gachas have a limit where you'll be guaranteed to get the character. Older games like early FGO were insane where there was no safety net and thats how people ended up spending thousands of dollars without even getting what they want.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Facts and these games would be so much better if the gacha elements were removed.

just cuz it’s good for Sony doesn’t mean it’s good for consumers…I already said other parts of Sony are free to do gacha and they already are, some doing extremely well. But “PlayStation” should be focused solely on PLAYSTATION. Mobile and PC are a waste of resources… and console gamers get less and lower quality products in the end.
yeah unfortunately the game really gets bogged down by the mobile game core of the gameplay loop. I would love to play for hours a day but the limited energy/stamina system fucks everything up, and everything is RNG. If they put out a standalone game with none of the bullshit fomo it'd easily be a 10/10 game

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer
26 Nov 2023
yeah unfortunately the game really gets bogged down by the mobile game core of the gameplay loop. I would love to play for hours a day but the limited energy/stamina system fucks everything up, and everything is RNG. If they put out a standalone game with none of the bullshit fomo it'd easily be a 10/10 game

I get this point of view and especially with Hoyo games, they're close to or practically full fledged SP JRPGs, but, with gacha elements. It's understandable to want ZZZ or any of their other games to be SP games, but on the other hand I love that they're living games that continue to expand and grow not just mechanically but narratively as well. If it wasn't a gacha it wouldn't be able to grow this way. It's like watching an anime/show, there's always new content to look forward to and I think it's okay for the games to exist in this way especially given how insane the quality it is, I mean the first and third arc of Star Rail is absolute peak JRPG and I'd want more moments like that for a long time to come.

Would the games be better without gacha and RNG limitations, probably yeah, but they also wouldn't be able to add the content and story the game that they do currently if it was a one and done experience.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I get this point of view and especially with Hoyo games, they're close to or practically full fledged SP JRPGs, but, with gacha elements. It's understandable to want ZZZ or any of their other games to be SP games, but on the other hand I love that they're living games that continue to expand and grow not just mechanically but narratively as well. If it wasn't a gacha it wouldn't be able to grow this way. It's like watching an anime/show, there's always new content to look forward to and I think it's okay for the games to exist in this way especially given how insane the quality it is, I mean the first and third arc of Star Rail is absolute peak JRPG and I'd want more moments like that for a long time to come.

Would the games be better without gacha and RNG limitations, probably yeah, but they also wouldn't be able to add the content and story the game that they do currently if it was a one and done experience.
thats understandable but they could have that same evolution if they took a Destiny style approach and did yearly expansions for $20-$30. But of course that'll never happen since they're making significantly more money with their current model. It is what it is

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Those things don't happen as much now. Most gachas have a limit where you'll be guaranteed to get the character. Older games like early FGO were insane where there was no safety net and thats how people ended up spending thousands of dollars without even getting what they want.

I've quit FGO because the whole game was built around summoning SSR, absolute crazy.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
thats understandable but they could have that same evolution if they took a Destiny style approach and did yearly expansions for $20-$30. But of course that'll never happen since they're making significantly more money with their current model. It is what it is
That business model wouldn't work well in Asia which is the core audience, despite the massive amount of whaling there's even more massive numbers of f2p. On the one hand I appreciate the fact that Mihoyo is one of the few game companies that reinvest their profits into the games, but on the other hand it still introduces weaknesses into the game design that can't be ignored. I still really like ZZZ but it just feels like... Come on guys you made so much money on genshin and hsr, can't you just give us something traditional for once

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
That business model wouldn't work well in Asia which is the core audience, despite the massive amount of whaling there's even more massive numbers of f2p. On the one hand I appreciate the fact that Mihoyo is one of the few game companies that reinvest their profits into the games, but on the other hand it still introduces weaknesses into the game design that can't be ignored. I still really like ZZZ but it just feels like... Come on guys you made so much money on genshin and hsr, can't you just give us something traditional for once
Good point, I forgot how important f2p was for these games success. Let's hope they can be like ShiftUp and eventually make a full fledged single player game one day. They've shown you can do both

Reactions: anonpuffs

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I already said other parts of Sony are free to do gacha and they already are, some doing extremely well. But “PlayStation” should be focused solely on PLAYSTATION.
You do realize games from Hoyoverse are essentially PS games exclusively only on the PS console.

PS making a inFAMOUS gacha game like Genshin & only releasing it on PS5/PS4 & Mobile would bolster PS console & games increase first party/ps studios games output.

There’s no downsize if PS got a Korea/Asia base studio to make these games on the side. If anything at the very least we would just get Astro Bot 1 singleplayer game per year & could’ve seen 2 at the very least.

I’d take a anime gacha using one of PS ip then some woke agenda driven mid like Concord

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Charging for DLC like expansion don’t work for mobile. Idk of any mobile game that charge for expansion or major dlc not saying you couldn’t do it but it’s likely not a viable model. Gacha system allows them to make it F2P + free PVE content aswelll as monetize the new “heroes” aswell as monetizing for cosmetic.