12 years ago today, Sony bought Gaikai for $380 Million, Do you think it was worth it?

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Or studios back in the day. Actually back then they could’ve bought either Square or Capcom still don’t understand why Sony didn’t acquire Square or Capcom when they were in the brink of bankruptcy. Ig Sony aren’t sharks, that’s a prime asset (Capcom) that is easily worth 20 billion in gaming, park/merchandise, esport/EVO & entertainment/media. I remember the rumors of MS eyeing Capcom as an acquisition.

Sony would be better of spending 1 million or less & hiring people who emulate PS games on PC & hiring them officially to offer modern PS consoles (PS4/PS5/PS6) PS3 games through emulation that can be purchase for $10 or more. It’s pretty crazy that what 10 years pass & we still don’t have PS3 emulation that plays PS3 games at 60fps 1080 minimum Sony taking extremely long to make simple decisions that adds a benefit for people to buy your console & not go to pc. I feel like Nintendo has a better emulator then PS at this point

I have to wonder how old you are for you to have no semblance of reality.

Sony used to own a big percentage of Square and a smaller percentage relative to the whole of Square Enix. They sold those shares back to Square Enix because they were in financial trouble.

You seem to want to have your cake and eat it too. Sony is making their best financial decisions they've ever made the last few years and they finally have the money and runway to spend, but you want them to make decisions like they used to which resulted in having no money to spend... you literally can't have both.

Capcom is not worth 20 billion.

1 million or less to hire people to emulate PS games?

Even hiring 10 people at 100K would cost you 1 million dollars in a year and that's without considering benefits and assuming you only need to hire them for a year, when in reality it would probably take longer. And then you think there is this major market for PS1-PS3 games when there isn't. You can tell that from Sony's leaked digital results.

You think it is crazy that we don't have PS3 emulation after 10 years, but don't stop to think why it isn't a priority for Sony. or what the technological hurdles are. Or stop to think why Nintendo games are easier to emulate...

I really wonder how old you are and what you do for a living.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Consumer confusion? Why'd you buy it if it isn't something that you understood?

The Portal? I understood it was Remote Play only, and I've thought since day 1 it should have been more feature complete. I bought it to show proof of market for a real PSP, but in truth I think that's already proven by switch, deck and pals, and Sony are just gun-shy. In practical usage, the Portal's Remote Play Only nature often leads to it just sat on side, as the ROG handles games natively most of the time, and has Chakai for PS5 remote play. The Portal is already outclassed/DOA by whats on the market today. I'll give you the ISP provided router/modem, sure.

I fear I'm taking the thread slightly off topic. But I feel like Gakai/Onlive features Sony bought should have been better integrated/presented, and evolved by now. It's been 12 years already?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The Portal is already outclassed/DOA by whats on the market today.
The Portal outperformed Sony's sales expectations.
I bought it to show proof of market for a real PSP
PS Vita is the proof of market that shows there isn't market for a real PSP. Devs didn't invest there because game sales were too low and its game budgets were almost like in home consoles.

People already complains that PS5 haz no gamez, it would be worse for both devices if Sony had to split their efforts between both.

Sony could release in the future a PC handheld, which wouldn't require dedicated ports. Just to play there the PC games. That would make more business sense than to make a portable console.

But that's not the purpose of the PS Player. PS Player is just a DualSense with a screen in the middle to make remote play.

the Portal's Remote Play Only nature often leads to it just sat on side, as the ROG handles games natively most of the time, and has Chakai for PS5 remote play.
PS Portal is a remote play device (a gamepad with a screen), ROG is a handheld PC and a Bravia is a tv. They are three different things.