3rd Bungie Project is MOBA

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Codename “Gummy Bears.” Very likely to be designed for younger audiences.

“According to multiple sources with knowledge of Bungie’s plans, Gummy Bears is the new game from the Destiny developer that incorporates many elements from the MOBA game genre (Massive Online Battle Arena), featuring a competitive PvP Team vs.Team experience.”

“One source tells us that the game features very colorful and “cute” characters. Another person The Game Post spoke to suggested the in-game characters with an almost neon-like appearance.”

Marathon IS Matter. Some will say otherwise. They are very wrong.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Seems like a very interesting take if true.
MOBA done right is pretty good even so there are a lot of haters for the genre.

And I can totally seeing Bungie's magic in a MOBA game.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Seems like a very interesting take if true.
MOBA done right is pretty good even so there are a lot of haters for the genre.

And I can totally seeing Bungie's magic in a MOBA game.

Not surprised stuff is leaking. Bungie must’ve had some zoom company call or something last night because their employees were making cryptic “Bungie!” Tweets. Probably was just put into official production after incubation…

Which is interesting … seeing that conceptual passion projects and incubated ideas being used to diversify their game types.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
spiderman lol GIF

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Seems that we finally start to see what Matter is. Btw, what the hell "frog-type games" means? Do anyone knows any example?

The new artwork and description matches very well with these two older images:

everything-we-know-about-bungie-matter-ip-in-2023.jpg

bg-falling.jpg

Also matches with these other ones, even if they had a somewhat different artstyle and color palette, probably are much older. Or well, maybe just made by other concept artist:
Bungie-Matter.jpg

Bungie-Matter-2-1536x864.jpg

"Lighthearted, comedic world" and watching the most recent artwork makes me think an artstyle and color palette somewhat like in the middle of Fall Guys and Mario/Nintendo.

Regarding the multiple genres that inspire the game:
  • Platformers: I could see somewhere in between Mario/Nintendo and Fall Guys for some game mode or world navigation, but since it's team based I assume it will also have the Little Big Planet coop MP side too
  • MOBA: Team vs team based action combat, I can imagine a game PvP mode being a more simple and casual version of stuff like League of Legends
  • Fighting games: I assume than going for the classic fighting game route of SF or Tekken, they mean that the combat may be more Smash Bros like: easy to play for casual players who only want to smash buttons and aren't interested on taking advantage of the real depth of the game, which like in Smash I assume will be there since they mention "The team is designing for depth, mastery, and Bungie's signature action feel"
  • Life sims: I assume you'll have a customizable avatar and house that would be able to do stuff like or farm consumibles, like a blend of Animal Crossing, The Sims, PlayStation Home or a simpler version of Stardew Valley
  • Frog-type games: what the fuck this means?
I think they can create something very interesting with this blend, specially if it's a polished and solid game. Exclusing frog-type games, which I don't know what it is, the other references have super solid and best selling examples, and merging all of them could generate something somewhat unique and very successful because it could appeal the same -or similar- type of player than all these other megahits.

What is the most sucessful MOBA? DOTA 2 or LOL?
Care Bears MOBA. Can't wait! 😁
I am sure they will make a great MOBA ... but man, I would love to see them tackle a SP game with shooting
Frog-type MOBA? Another random genre I never heard of or play 🫠

Bungie didn't say that it's a MOBA, the thread title is wrong. Seems that the OP poster (Vertigo), like you, didn't go to read the article and the original Bungie source.

What Bungie said in the original source is:

"One of our favorite incubation projects that has been in development for a few years is a team-based action game inspired by several genres in a brand-new science-fantasy universe. It draws inspiration from fighting games, platformers, MOBAs, life sims, and frog-type games, wrapping them all up in a lighthearted, comedic world.

The team is designing for depth, mastery, and Bungie's signature action feel, as well as a friendly, inclusive community. "

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7098359902338764800/

Sony seems hellbent and not giving their core demographic what they want.
Their factual results say they opposite: they are more successful than they ever have been in any objective metric to analyze it objectively: sales, revenue, engagement, retention, active players, user spent, etc.

Not surprised stuff is leaking.
Bungie posted the artwork and described the game on their official LinkedIn page on purpose, it isn't a leak.

“According to multiple sources with knowledge of Bungie’s plans, Gummy Bears is the new game from the Destiny developer that incorporates many elements from the MOBA game genre (Massive Online Battle Arena), featuring a competitive PvP Team vs.Team experience.”

“One source tells us that the game features very colorful and “cute” characters. Another person The Game Post spoke to suggested the in-game characters with an almost neon-like appearance.”
Seems that these "sources" said that after watching the same Bungie LinkedIn post and previous artwork we also saw.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Ezekiel

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

They will literally announce everything but SP games now. I'm not sure Jim Incompetence Ryan also understands that flooding the market with live service shit will also lead to cannibalisation of their own products.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Bungie started developing this game before the sony purchase….. and bungie retains creative freedom, that was clear and concise when the acquisition was announced.
The acquisition was done so sony can have guidance in Live Services and for Bungie it was done so they can have funding and guidance in bringing their ip to other forms of media (movie, tv shows) something Sony is very good at.