5 PlayStation ports from 2018-2020 dominated the Steam Game of The Year Awards 2022

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales – 2022 Outstanding Visual Style
  • Stray – 2022 Most Innovative Gameplay
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade – 2022 Best Soundtrack
  • God of War – 2022 Outstanding Story-Rich Game
  • Death Stranding Director’s Cut – 2022 Best Game on the Go

The most surprising of the bunch is Death Stranding Director’s Cut, winning over other games like Vampire Survivors, Brotato, and Marvel Snap, which can all be easily played on the go. But The Steam Deck has changed the handheld market to such an extent that Death Stranding Director’s Cut stood on top of the pile. (Either that, or we just like Kojima and Death Stranding that much.)

Not entirely surprising, for a lot of PC gamers the select PlayStation 4 catalogue they've been receiving lately have been the highlight of their platform.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
That makes up for them throwing Sony under the bus regarding the MSFT / ABK merger....

manchester united GIF

• angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That explains why Steam is breaking records right now and there is so much port-begging for more Sony exclusives.

As I said in the other thread, these old PS exclusives are giving the platform exposure and prestige. Award-winning, high-profile releases instead of mobile stuff like vampire survivors.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
No one invested in this little war will ever publicly come out and say it.... specially fanboys of the other side of 30 age and older who know better.... but It's always been a silent strategic war. The rationale of any money > 0 money as the basis for Sony releasing its exclusives on PC IS conditional on many market factors ensuring Sony dominance in the console space.... were those factors, which I rather not waste my time detailing, not hold true for whatever reason in the far future, that is, the competitive environment changing to Sony's detriment, these moves should weaken Sony's position in the console space. Valve's STEAMDECK SHOULD BE a MASSIVE EYE OPENER for SIE/Sony's leadership..... as Sony "exclusives" games can be played on a dedicated "closed system" hardware from a middle-man leech like VALVE's Steam.... but you can't fix stupid. What would the PlayStation VITA say from its grave? It would say, "FUCK YOU!". You can ignore the elephant in the room at your leisure cause Valve and its Steamdeck now enjoys literally 0 market penetration but who knows tomorrow if Nintendo shits the bed with the Switch 2.0, or if Valve even dares to get into the console market proper (nothing is stopping them except market viability/investment)? The blueprint to follow is there. In that hypothetical what then? Pull the games from the Steam Store after conditioning consumers to access? 🤡 What would more likely happen, and be ideal for Valve is to have success with the Steamdeck ala Xbox going from the OG XBox, to Xbox 360 and then branch into the console space proper with MS fumbling and shitting the bed as usual providing the opening. As you can see, a lot of IFs, but the opening for Valve is there to exploit.

Just imagine if Nintendo followed the fervor of the American/European investor class pushing for mobile and PC releases - aka, the MARIO EVERYWHERE crowd, leading to suddenly seeing Mario and all other iconic Nintendo IP appearing on the Steamdeck (a direct Switch competitor) as a result of putting the games on the Steam Store years prior. I mean, you would be laughed off the fucking room at Nintendo for being so short-shortsightedly greedy and stupid - but only in hindsight. Obviously Nintendo, in such hypothetical, would hurry up to quickly pull out the IPs from Steam but the shitstorm alone, never mind the consumer conditioning created beforehand would have been massive hits - beyond the potential damage market share wise, ultimately, profit wise. There is a reason Sony of old held firm on PC releases, as there is a reason Nintendo, despite the strong pressure to fold, even at the height of failure, doubled down on the strategic imperative of keeping and tending its garden. It would have been the easy way out to go the other way to please "wise investors" but that also would have meant creating Nintendo's writ of death. The thing that separates decent leadership from great leadership are these sort of clutch moment decisions. It's sort of funny Sony is actually helping Valve position the Steamdeck as the go-to place for Sony IP's on the handheld space. All of this while Valve takes a cut, improves its attractiveness off Sony's shine etc.... thus helping themselves in other ventures, current (Steam VR) or hypothetical (proper console) by fattening the war chest and the stranglehold on a growing consumer base - silently, slowly. "But but... it goes both ways" - bitch, please, you a dom or a sub? You take or give? Gabe Newell must be laughing his ass off with the whores he likes to rent next to champagne....... just like he was btw during the X360 era when Valve ganged up with MS to push the knife deeper into Sony when the PS3 fiasco happened (Left4Dead?) - NEVER FORGET. "Q: Who's better Xbox or PlayStation?" "A: Xbox", "Q: Why?" "A: It just is" - Gabe Newell circa 2020. When Philly boy says Valve (and Gabe) has "done it right", he's talking to an informed crowd - not just the superficial meaning of the words meant for sheep and press whores. These olds cats (Valve/MS) don't change....truly... only idiots at Sony do. And so when Sony releases on PC, you see all the shilling, whoring press welcome and cheer the mistake .... a public discourse seed btw, planted by MS marketing and amplified by Phil Spencer. "Games everywhere™" "When we all play, we all win™" etc etc. Now why would Philly boy, whose job is to sell a console do that? That MS/Philly boy went back on all that BS after regrouping during the middle-late cycle of the Xbox One era and after seeing Sony bite the bait should have been expected by a wary, cutthroat business savvy mind/leadership. The Activision/Bethesda deals, the disruptive Gamepass market model, "ALL IN ON GAMING" was meant to be /is the coup de grâce coming full circle - "The Empire Strikes Back" moment although in MS fashion, they can't quite land it right - see FTC, Gamepass subs plateauing and the shitstorm. That doesn't detract from the plan being sound - the excutor is just mid. Simple strategy: Sucker your competition (Sony) to waterdown their strengths aka buying incensives by coming to "your level" when you're weak and in a vulnerable position and then suddenly, in a quick successive series of moves buff yourself up with ammo to outgun and overtake your competitors strengths. The focus by the commentariat in analyzing these things should not be just dismissals and clownery focused on the mistakes of MS/Xbox to carry out this strategy - still ongoing btw. The focus should also be on what the effects would've been had a more competent competitor, one that took care of their deficiencies better, executed the plan? The conclusion is obvious and says a lot about Sony's leadership. I mean, this shit writes itself. You only need a critical thinking mind. "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake" - Napoleon Bonaparte. There is nothing like old, true greed to lead men stray from the path, and turn good to shit.

But let the Sony "geniuses" pinching pennies on PC to satiate the proverbial need to "increase shareholder value" aka the #1 mandate, to figure that out - I mean you would think after leaving school you would realize it's never like the books. We all know what happens to tech companies when corporate leadership shits the bed strategically by planting silent time bombs beneath their own feet. The failures flee and leave the mess to the next leadership in line that takes over after the bombs go off - and it's not guaranteed the new leadership, depending on the degree of damage, can make things right back again. Bottom line, a almost assuredly PS6/PS7 console, in a hypothetical higher/more competitive environment, may find itself with a diminished/lesser "have to own incentive", on top of massive SIE upkeep via dev studio funding costs of this forced by competition expansionary phase. In other words, couple the two factors and you may find Sony/SIE facing an avalanche rushing against them of partly their own making. The assumptions of the current market structure/environment holding somewhat the same MUST hold true for another decade+ for the pinching pennies on PC crowd (aka "let the good times roll" - profit maximization golden age). Now.. SIE's current leadership can dress their shit with all the flavors they may wish while pointing at the money coming in and how it's invested into VR and studio acquisitions which have a reinforcing positive effect on Sony's continued stranglehold of the console space ....while pointing to PC releases as the necessary evil that helps catalyze and feed, in part, those ventures but it's a gamble, no two ways about it. Never mind the philosophical BS...."at our heart we're simply creative, experience creators" "As creators we want to reach more gamers and audiences".... or any and all BS the human mind can creatively come up with to justify a business decision. I personally love the unspoken one: "Look we're establishing ground for a potential hardware-less future?" Hardware-less = no PC as well, right dummy? Then what have you established that lasts? The end of MS Windows more or less as well? Think again. Not to even break the bubble that such future keeps being aloof despite billions upon billions being thrown at it - Hi Google! "But but... it's possible, it's coming" Sure, and definitely MS will be the vanguard, while still keeping Windows viable, those server blades need a backend shake after all :ROFLMAO:

Bottom line is the market fundamentals are strong and almost always never change, established even before Sony came to town. Anyways, the obvious medium term (10-15 yrs) patch-in solution/correction to the Valve threat/mistake is a dedicated PlayStation Store front on PC, one that, unlike EA Origins or Ubisoft's Connect offers full third party library support like Steam/Epic's Game Store. In other words, not a store front solely and exclusively for SIE published games but a catalog with participation of all third parties who actively participate for PS home consoles. By comparison to Epic who started from scratch, Sony is in a position to leverage PSN/Third-party relations to greater, and hopefully more success - for both the breadth of content, and the exclusive differentiation content. The lazy, boneheaded thing to do is to shoot yourself in the head by doing what EA or Ubisoft did - that is, be seen as gatekeepers of a selection of content in the PC garden by Steam's crowd.... once PC consumers brand you a certain way - it's over. A PSN/PlayStation Store on PC must include full-third party library support - #1 bullet point/requirement OUT THE GATE - definitely not easy - but what is? Then SIE can gatekeep exclusives as normal and expose Valve for the useless leeches that they're - at which point you'll quickly see Valve react with Half-Life and other IPs as well as new games suddenly revived and in development - exclusive to Steam of course - cause they're greedy but not stupid as to sell then on a PS PC store. But even if SIE does it all right/correctly - and knowing Sony, with current personal, won't..... there is still no guarantee the sheep will flee Steam for a PSN Storefront (at least not to a significant market impacting degree - it will take time/$$). Just watch the previous behavioral consumer response of PC fanboys to new entrants - library attachment trumps shiny new games or "open platform" competition blabber 100% of the time - they even become fiercely hostile when their little, dear Valve garden is threatened by competition - pure corporate slavery - but that is the human mind at work for you. You can even say with certainty that the casual, and to an extent, core console audience are more open to new entrants in the console space, as with Xbox or Sega of old than consumers on PC to new client storefronts. Origins/uPlay/Epic Games Store are living, walking, breathing examples of this. Overall however this would actually bring healthy competition to the "open platform" - currently devoid off such with only one strong player - Steam. As far as MS is concerned - aka Windows OS monopoly, it's a win either way - and those at Redmond finally got half of what they wanted when they released the OG Xbox - they're clearly working on the other half of the equation on the console space, which they keep failing at horribly - but make no mistake, the bag is still at work, and the enemy (PlayStation) is tip toying around bombs. A win for Philly boy on a net scale.

But even a storefront on PC is a double-edged sword and long term strategic mistake imo. You're conditioning your core audience to have access and enjoy your content outside the golden goose that lays the golden eggs - aka PlayStation hardware. "Different customers!!!!!!" - the casuals maybe. Good luck for gamblers out there. "We must break from the console shackles to make more money!" Okay!

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
No one invested in this little war will ever publicly come out and say it.... specially fanboys of the other side of 30 age and older who know better.... but It's always been a silent strategic war. The rationale of any money > 0 money as the basis for releasing on PC IS conditional on many market factors ensuring Sony dominance in the console space.... were those factors, which I rather not waste my time detailing, not hold true for whatever reason in the far future, that is, the competitve enviroment changing to Sony's detriment, these moves should weaken Sony's position in the console space. I would think Steamdeck SHOULD BE a MASSIVE EYE OPENER for Sony, as Sony pub games can be played on a dedicated "closed system" hardware by a middle-man leech like VALVE but you can't fix stupid. You can ignore the elephant in the room at your leisure cause Valve and its Steamdeck now enjoys literally 0 market penetration but who knows tomorrow if Nintendo shits the bed with the Switch 2.0, or if Valve even dares to get into the console market proper (nothing is stopping them except market viability/investment)? In that hypothetical what then? Pull them from the Steam Store? 🤡 What would more likely happen, and be ideal for Valve is to have success with the Steamdeck ala Xbox going from the OG XBox, to Xbox 360 and then branch into the console space proper with MS fumbling and shitting the bed as usual providing the opening.

But let the Sony "geniuses" pinching pennies for the proverbial need to "increase shareholder value" mandate figure that out. We all know what happens when corporate leadership shits the bed strategically in industries of this sort by planting silent time bombs beneath their feet - they flee and leave the mess to the next leadership in line - and it's not guaranteed the new leadership, depending on the degree of damage, can make things right back again. Bottomline, a almost assuredly PS6 console, in a hypothetical higher/more competitive environment, may find itself with a diminished/lesser "have to own incentive". The assumptions of the current market structure/environment MUST hold true for another decade for the pinching penny crowd (aka "let the good times roll" - profit maximization golden age).

Egg - fucking - xactly!

I am so thankful that I am not the only one who thinks this is just a matter of time before it is exploited by a company in the right place and time....
and then what? As you say... the management retire with their big fat pensions and leave the company in crap for another decade until it is rebuilt to a degree of what it was before.

People called me a 'Sony-hater' for saying PC ports are a poor strategic idea especially when PSN as a store is much more expensive than steam.... I was attacked and ridiculed by ignoramuses that talk about different opinions being welcome but when it was an opinion they didn't like...they turned on me like Judas Iscariot.

I don't mind the GAAS games going to PC, there are games like MLB that make sense to maximize their potential.... but big AAA games should always be used to attract customers as a showpiece for your platform.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Egg - fucking - xactly!

I am so thankful that I am not the only one who thinks this is just a matter of time before it is exploited by a company in the right place and time....
and then what? As you say... the management retire with their big fat pensions and leave the company in crap for another decade until it is rebuilt to a degree of what it was before.

People called me a 'Sony-hater' for saying PC ports are a poor strategic idea especially when PSN as a store is much more expensive than steam.... I was attacked and ridiculed by ignoramuses that talk about different opinions being welcome but when it was an opinion they didn't like...they turned on me like Judas Iscariot.

I don't mind the GAAS games going to PC, there are games like MLB that make sense to maximize their potential.... but big AAA games should always be used to attract customers as a showpiece for your platform.

I ended up writing more than what I had initially intended even tho it ain't worth the time on top of what this hobby takes away from me. But if you don't chop it up into pieces, some sheep always comes with dumb questions or hollow attacks. It's what it's in a world full of sheep.

Last edited:

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Egg - fucking - xactly!

Shouldn't that force Sony to make a better store then?

Idk, steam has been around forever and pc gamers really like it. It never effected consoles before, so I don't know why it would be any different now. Most of us didn't buy our PS2s for Sony's games, so I don't see what's different here. Unless you mean prestige.

Nintendo making mobile games was a much bigger deal IMO.

Reactions: Bryank75

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Shouldn't that force Sony to make a better store then?

Idk, steam has been around forever and pc gamers really like it. It never effected consoles before, so I don't know why it would be any different now. Most of us didn't buy our PS2s for Sony's games, so I don't see what's different here. Unless you mean prestige.

Nintendo making mobile games was a much bigger deal IMO.
It means something because of exclusivity/prestige.

KungFucius

10 Jan 2023
Egg - fucking - xactly!

There is a market of mainly PC gamers that enjoy Sony games enough to buy a PS just to play them. I fall in that category. I buy their systems and maybe 2 handfuls of games each gen. If the market consisting of people like me that instead have self control or something preventing them from buying PlayStation systems to play games they would like is large enough then they have to explore ways of addressing it.

Delayed release on PC is a good compromise. They are earning good revenue. Sure there is a risk of losing would be console buyers to people with PCs that can run the games, but it is not going to create a mass exodus from the platform, and if they are still buying the games, why does it matter? Right now the big games are coming out ~2 years later on PC. Those games, 2 years after release, at best help attract gamers to buy a PS as a second system for its library. On PC they could actually reach new fans, show them what they are missing, and get them to buy a PS to play the games earlyier and/or have a system for the family that is easier to use for the kids than running multiple PCs. I mean shit if you liked the Spiderman games on PC this year, what are you going to do if you want to play the next one? Wait 2 years or buy a PS5. That is a decision that fans of the game on PC will be making that they wouldn't have otherwise Same holds for GoW and Horizon. This is a complex issue and Sony is doing their best to maximize their profits long term. It looks like they have a good strategy that is seeking a new audience while not making it easy for their existing fans to jump ship to PC.

There are risks, but unless you can show, with data, that those risks are being realized then you are just citing maybes. Sony's PS business is at risk due to competition from mobile, streaming, MS, Nintendo, etc., but as long as they are making good money and showing a good return on investment then they will still be able to produce good games. Their PC strategy looks pretty smart and lower risk to me.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
There's only one PS studios in the industry, they're best in class for AAA games & it show's. The only other publisher with similar consistency of quality is Nintendo.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
PS games are crap till it's on our platform. Just look at how MS fans celebrated when one Naughty Dog dev went to the Initiative? It was breaking news on XBOX-GAF. This was huge, "a game changer" for XBOX studios, where is the Initiative now though? Birds chipping. Man if these Sony walking simulators ever make it to XBOX, they will say "we have your GOTY releases too" and gamepass.....we win.

Anyways, just saying people should stop downplaying great games regardless of platform. I'm not talking about the reverse BS though like; State of Decay 2 is better than LOU 2, Crackdown 3 was more fun than Spiderman, Days Gone and Tsushima. The latter has to stop, a great game is a great game on any platform, that's why PC guys are enjoying GOW 2018, Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn , Spiderman etc...

Last edited:
  • brain

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Eh, not really. I think the upcoming phone games will be more of a hit to the prestige.

Nothing can really top when Crash went multiplatform.
Sony never owned Crash. Sony published the first trilogy because they wanted to showcase them due to how well they showed the power of the PS1, but Crash was owned by Universal Interactive Entertainment. Same with Spyro. Sony tried to buy the IPs, but Universal didn’t want to sell.

When Vivendi bought Universal, they wanted to make cheap games for maximum profit, so they took Crash and Spyro to every system out there, although there is at least one Crash game from the PS3/360 era that didn’t come to PlayStation.

Interestingly, it was due to Mark Cerny being contracted to Naughty Dog as a consultant that started his close work with Sony, eventually leading to him being the head of PlayStation hardware.

Given the choice between a used-up mascot and a technical prodigy like Cerny, Crash can do a flip.

Reactions: Banana

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Sony never owned Crash. Sony published the first trilogy because they wanted to showcase them due to how well they showed the power of the PS1, but Crash was owned by Universal Interactive Entertainment. Same with Spyro. Sony tried to buy the IPs, but Universal didn’t want to sell.

When Vivendi bought Universal, they wanted to make cheap games for maximum profit, so they took Crash and Spyro to every system out there, although there is at least one Crash game from the PS3/360 era that didn’t come to PlayStation.

Interestingly, it was due to Mark Cerny being contracted to Naughty Dog as a consultant that started his close work with Sony, eventually leading to him being the head of PlayStation hardware.

Given the choice between a used-up mascot and a technical prodigy like Cerny, Crash can do a flip.
Yep, Mascots are no longer a thing tbh. I guess people felt PS had Crash, Nintendo had Mario, Sega had Sonic and that defined them. At that time platformers were huge tbh....Now, not so much. At this point great games and multiple GOTY Calibre games is what defines you.......Sony seems to have gotten the memo....

Oh and MS had Blinx ;).....

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yep, Mascots are no longer a thing tbh. I guess people felt PS had Crash, Nintendo had Mario, Sega had Sonic and that defined them. At that time platformers were huge tbh....Now, not so much. At this point great games and multiple GOTY Calibre games is what defines you.......Sony seems to have gotten the memo....

Blind is one of those cases where the talent had the resumé for greatness, but they weren't as key to the successes of their pasts as people thought. Typical MS to give them a huge budget and hype the dev up as some great talent, only for the actual game to end up being a wet fart.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: thelastword

Banana

10 Jan 2023

Crash was the PS1 Sony mascot though.

Nintendo still has their rich mascots. I think sony is now trying the same thing with expanding their ips into movies and shows.

Abe from Oddworld was originally claimed to be the xbox mascot, but that was before halo took off.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
pc players loathing consoles and eating the shit out of the awful console dishes lol

Reactions: voke