A new GPU from AMD/RdN3

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Hey, I am not a tech guy, but I just watched this video and was wondering if this is the type of performance we could or might expect from the PS5 pro, or am I expecting too much?

It is meant to be really competitive, and it seems Digital Foundry, at least, is raving about it.

If any of you tech people would like to weigh in, would love to hear your thoughts.

Where is VFX when you need him FS.

Reactions: Entropi

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Its pretty mid actually, should have been a 450 USD card at most. But youtubers always work in tandem with GPU vendors to indoctrinate folks into the "new normal" You should pay 250 USD for an X50 card that is actually an X30 and be happy about it. Same for all other tiers.

AMD is always late to the party, but at least in the past they offered competitive pricing to make up for it. Just cross your fingers for Intels Battlemage to see if it can shake the GPU market a bit, specially at the low end.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Maybe by removing the infinity cache and 20 CUs, it will fit in an APU.

• Informative

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Seems like a very unreasonably expectation to me unless Sony really embraced the idea of the PS5 Pro being a premium product and are going to go for a much more expensive product.

Since the PS5 is still pretty much as expensive as it was when it released in 2020 it would make sense for the PS5 Pro to be much more expensive than the PS4 Pro.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
But a 7700 is not a big enough jump in performance to be considered a PS5 pro. A PS5 pro would need twice as much performance at least to be worth it.

The 6700 is basically the PS5 GPU.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
But a 7700 is not a big enough jump in performance to be considered a PS5 pro. A PS5 pro would need twice as much performance at least to be worth it.

It will all depend on price difference, there is nothing saying they need to replicate the power difference that happened last gen. I would likely but a much more powerful PS5 for $800 but I would also buy a slightly more powerful one for $600.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023

Yeah, we’re not getting a big performance jump without a significant node shrink or making the Pro bigger and more expensive.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
The PS5 Pro is expected to bring a GPU with 60 CUs (64 full, 4 disabled for redundancy and higher yields) and 18GT/s GDDR6 at the same 256bit.
Rumors point to it being a mix between RDNA3 and RDNA4, or more specifically a RDNA3 architecture with the raytracing optimizations of RDNA4.

The closest RDNA3 GPU with those specs we have at the moment is the RX 7800XT (60CU), though I think the PS5 Pro might have more conservative clocks (lower wattage available on consoles) and considering it shares memory bandwidth with the CPU, perhaps we should expect rasterization (non-raytracing) performance more similar to that of the RX 7700XT (54 CU).

So in practice, will be looking at the performance difference between a Radeon RX 6700 non-XT (closest to PS5) and a Radeon RX 7700XT.

The difference actually isn't enormous, it's close to +40-60% in rasterization performance which is a far cry from the difference we saw between the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

There are 2 wild cards in here, though.

The first is how much of a raytracing performance bump the RDNA4 optimizations will bring. If AMD is putting more accelerated stages in the raytracing pipeline we should expect a big boost in raytracing performance, maybe close to a RTX 3080 or RTX 4070 which have easily more than twice the raytracing performance of the PS5 in RT intensive titles.

The second is the rumor of Sony implementing a hardware-based temporal and deep-learning based upscaler that targets the same results as DLSS but with little to no overhead. A bit like they did with the hardware for checkerboarding in the PS4 Pro. This would allow the PS5 Pro to run at a lower base resolution (e.g. never rendering above 1080p for a 4K presentation) for a more aggressive upscaling, which leaves more processing headroom for the rest.

Reactions: Entropi