A person created the worlds first Tablet sized PS5. It's amazing what DIY ppl can do!

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Nice work. That kind of PS5 would cost at least 1k €. Much more copper, speakers, OLED and portability. Yeah...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What is amazing is what Sony can't do themselves.

There would be a market for all this stuff and this dude just humiliated Sony.

Something in this form factor and with an included OLED screen would be a perfect to travel with. The could sell the screen desperately too for more flexibility. I hate Sony and how lazy they are.

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Something in this form factor and with an included OLED screen would be a perfect to travel with. The could sell the screen desperately too for more flexibility. I hate Sony and how lazy they are.

I think that tablet Is way too big for most people, in a few years when you can shrink it down to the size of a steam deck that's when you have none mass market appeal

Reactions: Plextorage

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I think that tablet Is way too big for most people, in a few years when you can shrink it down to the size of a steam deck that's when you have none mass market appeal
In a few years Sony won't do anything, just like they didn't with the PS4. This dude was able to shrink the PS5 down with pretty simple solutions, on pair with what you see on gaming laptops.

All companies are out there experimenting with different hardware solutions, yet all Sony could come up with was the pathetic PS Portal.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023

They can ( Vaio laptops, ring a bell ? ). And it would cost tooo much, at least 1k euros. But what he did, even if it is functional and it looks nice, but his finishing is poor quality. Case is 3d printed, fans are glued too, case is glued, speakers glued ( LOL ). I mean, poor finishing quality. Drop that on the floor and it would fall apart in 100 pieces.

A properly engineered version of this would be significantly thinner, as it would have a custom designed cooling solution and mainboard. Plus it needs to go through a ton of certification and testing, like the thing he made is surely cool but if you drop it it would shatter into a 100 different pieces like i've said, since the case is literally 3d printed and glued, and the OLED isn't even OCA laminated ( which is used in smarthpones, tablets etc.... ). It would be appealing if it was battery powered, but that's kinda next to impossible when the console itself draws 300+watts!!! I mean, you would need an battery from small electric vehicle. LOL

All companies are out there experimenting with different hardware solutions,

Yes, they do. Even Sony. And you can see bunch of small stuff at CES. But bunch of things just remain what it is - a showcase for the public.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

if you actually think that what you describe would a) not weigh a ton, b) be affordable and c) actually sell, please tell me who you get your LSD from, because you are clearly tripping balls.

• Peachy
Reactions: Lord Mittens
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
if you actually think that what you describe would a) not weigh a ton, b) be affordable and c) actually sell, please tell me who you get your LSD from, because you are clearly tripping balls.
Yeah it wouldn't be for the mass market. They could do it if they wanted to, shit Sony has some of the best engineers on the planet it's just not something they'd waste time on as it would be to expensive.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
They can ( Vaio laptops, ring a bell ? ). And it would cost tooo much, at least 1k euros. But what he did, even if it is functional and it looks nice, but his finishing is poor quality. Case is 3d printed, fans are glued too, case is glued, speakers glued ( LOL ). I mean, poor finishing quality. Drop that on the floor and it would fall apart in 100 pieces.

A properly engineered version of this would be significantly thinner, as it would have a custom designed cooling solution and mainboard. Plus it needs to go through a ton of certification and testing, like the thing he made is surely cool but if you drop it it would shatter into a 100 different pieces like i've said, since the case is literally 3d printed and glued, and the OLED isn't even OCA laminated ( which is used in smarthpones, tablets etc.... ). It would be appealing if it was battery powered, but that's kinda next to impossible when the console itself draws 300+watts!!! I mean, you would need an battery from small electric vehicle. LOL

Yes, they do. Even Sony. And you can see bunch of small stuff at CES. But bunch of things just remain what it is - a showcase for the public.
But Sony sold Vaio because they couldn't make it work (now they own just a small part of it last time I checked and the brand is nowhere compared to where it once was).

What did you expect the guy to do? His concept version is excellent for what it is and shows that Sony just didn't put too much effort in reducing the size of the PS5.

Sony can't waste time developing special versions of PS5 but they can waste time developing that InZone line of products? Give me a break. They could sell this for a considerable premium even without a screen and it would still sell decently. Traveling with a PS5 isn't easy at all for me, takes up way too much space that is limited on domestic flights.

At no point I mentioned it being a portable or anything like that, I understood his concept pretty well. A small sized PS5 with a screen would be great for hotels and people that travel frequently and would help mitigate the fact that there is no decent portable PlayStation solution these days.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah it wouldn't be for the mass market. They could do it if they wanted to, shit Sony has some of the best engineers on the planet it's just not something they'd waste time on as it would be to expensive.
Sony has moved away from the insane semi-concept products they used to release on the regular, or maybe we’d see something like this.

Then again, stopping with the $5000 things that 20 people around the world actually buy is part of what has restored the sustainability of their business as a whole, so it’s hard to complain about it!

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
I hope to also do some tripping once I retire.

Where did you go to?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Would easily sell a lot, weight doesn't matter nearly as much as size (it's not a device your are going to hold on your hand and use on the go, but would be a lot easier to carry around when travelling), nothing on it indicates it would cost drastically more since it pretty much looks like what you would see on a $600~$800 gaming laptop.

But as always for you guys, everything Sony doesn't do is either impossible or stupid because Sony is perfect and they would never overlook anything.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
But Sony sold Vaio because they couldn't make it work (now they own just a small part of it last time I checked and the brand is nowhere compared to where it once was).

Nope. It was because they've wanted to move all their resources to smartphones etc. Btw. Vaio still exists :

What did you expect the guy to do? His concept version is excellent for what it is and shows that Sony just didn't put too much effort in reducing the size of the PS5.

Because you've said this :

That comment is just quick thinking how Sony can't do it. They can. But like i've said, numerous of testing and certifications. It would be surely costly and in the end it needs to be profitable.

Sony can't waste time developing special versions of PS5 but they can waste time developing that InZone line of products? Give me a break. They could sell this for a considerable premium even without a screen and it would still sell decently. Traveling with a PS5 isn't easy at all for me, takes up way too much space that is limited on domestic flights.

Sony made a PSX back in the day and it sold like shit. Sony surely knows things.

At no point I mentioned it being a portable or anything like that, I understood his concept pretty well. A small sized PS5 with a screen would be great for hotels and people that travel frequently and would help mitigate the fact that there is no decent portable PlayStation solution these days.

It would and it would cost too much and for very niche audience. You have decent portable solution these days - PS Portal. You don't need to be at home to play PS5 games on it. You can play games on it hundreds of miles from home. All you need is a decent mobile connection

Would easily sell a lot, weight doesn't matter nearly as much as size (it's not a device your are going to hold on your hand and use on the go, but would be a lot easier to carry around when travelling), nothing on it indicates it would cost drastically more since it pretty much looks like what you would see on a $600~$800 gaming laptop.
Comparing this to 600$ laptop. Really?

It would cost greatly. You can bet over 1k Euros. OLED, speakers, much more copper, portability.... you name it. Just PS portal with nothing is 200$ and with 60hz LCD

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Nope. It was because they've wanted to move all their resources to smartphones etc. Btw. Vaio still exists :

Because you've said this :

That comment is just quick thinking how Sony can't do it. They can. But like i've said, numerous of testing and certifications. It would be surely costly and in the end it needs to be profitable.

Sony made a PSX back in the day and it sold like shit. Sony surely knows things.

It would and it would cost too much and for very niche audience. You have decent portable solution these days - PS Portal. You don't need to be at home to play PS5 games on it. You can play games on it hundreds of miles from home. All you need is a decent mobile connection

It would cost greatly. You can bet over 1k Euros. OLED, speakers, much more copper, portability.... you name it. Just PS portal with nothing is 200$
Poor Sony, everything is so impossible for them..

Sony couldn't even bother with an OLED screen on the PS Portal, they sure as hell would not make a portable monitor for PS5 with an OLED screen or a special SKU that included one.

Here in Brazil the trashiest hardware manufacturer (Positivo) is the one that make Vaio laptops, a sad ending for a once very influential brand.