A Personal Story of How The Last of Us Saved My Life

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Today is the 10th anniversary of The Last of Us, and I wanted to share a personal story with all of you that I haven't really talked about at all with people in my life. People often see video games as trivial and futile, but I've always seen them as art. I hope this highlights the power of video games and how they can impact our lives in unexpected ways.

A few years ago, I had almost quit gaming and was battling depression and suicidal thoughts. There came a time when I just couldn't go on anymore. I was figuring out the best way to end my life and was only waiting for a moment of absolute weakness to do it.

I had this game sitting on the shelf that I never opened. I didn't know anything about it — I hadn't even watched any trailer — and I had nothing to do on a weekend, so I started playing it.

The game's powerful opening hooked me, and I became super interested in what happens next. I didn't realize I ended up playing till 2:30 AM that morning. I finally liked something, and it felt good to have something to look forward to.

Through the game's story, I discovered a powerful message: the importance of finding something worth fighting for and enduring through life's darkest moments.

Joel, a character burdened by loss and sorrow, taught me the significance of holding onto hope, even when the odds seem insurmountable. Witnessing his journey from a broken man to someone who rediscovers his purpose awakened something within me. It reminded me that even in the midst of pain and struggle, there can be flickers of light that guide us toward a better tomorrow.

tlou 2.jpeg

While Ellie's character symbolized resilience and strength in the face of adversity. Her unwavering spirit inspired me to confront my own demons head-on and find the strength within myself to persevere.

tlou 1.jpeg

The Last of Us showed me that even when life seems unbearable, there is always something worth living for — whether it's a loved one, a passion, or simply the hope for a brighter future.

The Last of Us saved me. And I'm forever grateful.

To anyone who is still struggling:

68b6f34641d91a4dd80ea5ce64be13e6.jpeg

iAMJeffy

29 Oct 2022
Thanks for sharing ! What a lovely heartfelt story. To this day, TLOU 1 and 2 are gaming experiences that I cannot get anywhere else.

• Shake
Reactions: Heisenberg007
24 Jun 2022
Glad you were able to find a game that gave you hope to keep on living. And, obviously, we're all grateful for that as well; you've contributed some amazing insights into various gaming conversations, and you & I have had some great exchanges of ideas to boot.

I absolutely can't imagine not having your voice online, adding so much to discussions, so big ups to TLOU for having such an impact on your life 😊🤗

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Glad you were able to find a game that gave you hope to keep on living. And, obviously, we're all grateful for that as well; you've contributed some amazing insights into various gaming conversations, and you & I have had some great exchanges of ideas to boot.

I absolutely can't imagine not having your voice online, adding so much to discussions, so big ups to TLOU for having such an impact on your life 😊🤗
Thank you, my friend. I appreciate it. And I appreciate you, too, very much and all the fun conversations we've had.

Here's to many more conversations and number-crunching!

Celebrate The Last Of Us GIF by Naughty Dog