A Year Later, Redfall Players Who Spent $100 Are Still Waiting For Its Promised Extra Heroes

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Players were excited at the prospect that Redfall might combine the fun co-op loot mechanics of a Borderlands with the bespoke environmental storytelling of a Dishonored. Ultimately, though, the day-one Game Pass blockbuster didn’t quite accomplish either of these things, and it was burdened at launch by bugs, performance issues, and weird gameplay issues to boot. Now fans who spent $100 on the deluxe edition are still waiting on the two post-launch DLC heroes they were promised at the time.

Redfall exists as a novelty from a once great studio that has neither lived up to its hype or the promises,” a player, who goes by Obvious on Discord and is one of the $100 edition owners, told Kotaku. “It’s better than it ever was, which makes it just about reach ‘mediocre’ but it never got the Cyberpunk treatment and probably never will, but I’d be happily proven wrong in this case.”

They had hoped the DLC heroes would be released as part of a big Halloween update last year, and haven’t played the game in months.

“The fact it’s taken over a year now shows Redfall either hit issues or they hadn’t even started [on the DLC], which is bizarre,” Obvious said. “Some people think they might be working on it behind the scenes for another big release at some point, but I’m starting to lose hope in that.”

Redfall, developed by Arkane Austin, was Microsoft’s first Xbox Series X/S game with a next-gen price tag of $70. Players hyped for the squad-based shooter about killing vampires in a small Stephen King-esque New England town went above and beyond and purchased the Bite Back Edition for $100 (which is still for sale on Xbox, Steam, and the Microsoft Store). In addition to a laser beam skin, tactical knife stake weapon attachment, and alternative outfits for the four main characters—Jacob, Layla, Remi, and Devinder—it also included the Redfall Hero Pass for “two future heroes” that would be added to the always-online shooter down the road.

A screenshot shows what players get in the Bite Back edition.

What about the new characters? “We’re continuing development of The Hero Pass and we’re excited to share more about Redfall’s new heroes and other updates later next year,” the development team wrote in the patch notes last November. Nearly six months later, there’s been no further update on the status of the missing DLC, or whether Redfall still has a future as former Bethesda VP Pete Hines had previously promised. Many fans were hoping for an update on the one-year anniversary of the game’s May 2, 2023 release, or possibly even a surprise shadow drop. Instead, the Redfall Twitter account hasn’t posted in 30 days. The last tweet reads, “that’s bait.”

via Kotaku

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
I sympathize, but you have no one to blame but yourself if you gave a new nobody IP a 100$ for some fucking skins. And what type of IP? oh yeah, fucking zombies, how original, I'm sure the game will be a massive success.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I sympathize, but you have no one to blame but yourself if you gave a new nobody IP a 100$ for some fucking skins. And what type of IP? oh yeah, fucking zombies, how original, I'm sure the game will be a massive success.
to be fair xbox fans aren't that smart to begin with. you should be outraged at microsoft for taking advantage of the mentally disabled.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Is there actually any person that bought this? $70 was already absurd for this garbage.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Is there actually any person that bought this? $70 was already absurd for this garbage.
If you have gamepass, you can buy the DLC on it's own for an extra $30. I know 1 person that paid the $30 but he doesn't even care about the DLC anymore. There are people on reddit complaining and waiting for it tho.

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If you have gamepass, you can buy the DLC on it's own for an extra $30. I know 1 person that paid the $30 but he doesn't even care about the DLC anymore. There are people on reddit complaining and waiting for it tho.
What a bunch of suckers, I hope that it's even worse than the base game when it comes out.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer