According to @Middleagegamegy, The Gears Collection is being internally tested by The Coalition. Ninja Theory still working on Mara.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I love the first 2 Gears games.

Replayed 1-3 a few years ago. They aged well with the last remasters and remakes.

I still think they’re up there as far as tps go. Cover shooters are kinda lame but still a good time.

Division 2 kinda took the crown for cover shooters in modern era but meh… a gears pve shooter could work tbh. And they’ve already moved on from Marcus and the gears we loved. Might as well just go a different direction.

Industry is sorely missing a third person shooter online game with pvp. Division tried in both pve and pvp (beyond busted) and I think there’s rogue something as f2p game they no one plays. (BRs don’t count k thanks)

I’d bet on gears being more succesful than halo. Well… it has been for a few years now.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I will give the Gears collection a go when it comes, I played one of the game co-op with a friend many, many years ago on PC, I can't remember which one, but it had an awesome gun that used to shoot a beam of light, like a nuke or something.

There was also a boss at the end of a train, where you had to dodge from box to box to get to him.

no idea what game it was but we had fun in co-op.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Gears was good back in the day. Unfortunately the game's from the 360 era mechanics, level design and AI haven't aged well at all but the multiplayers could be a good nostalgia visit.
This is the biggest issue. The Gears games haven't evolved at all. They're still the same games from 2006. Same goes for Halo.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
This is the biggest issue. The Gears games haven't evolved at all. They're still the same games from 2006. Same goes for Halo.
They made the last one open world...but it was pointless. You jump on a skiff and move from location to location, every so often one of your comrades points out a side quest you can investigate if you want to, and they're extremely basic firefights with maybe some items at the end of it.

Doesn't add anything.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
They made the last one open world...but it was pointless. You jump on a skiff and move from location to location, every so often one of your comrades points out a side quest you can investigate if you want to, and they're extremely basic firefights with maybe some items at the end of it.

Doesn't add anything.
It adds tedium. I don't mind sandbox areas if they're meaningful. But no, you go across the desert to a remote location, fight a few DeeBees and collect an upgrade point. Repeat.

I like Gears, I really do. But they've ran out of ideas a while ago. They're even recycling the story from the first 3 games. The Locusts are dead but wait, they're not. Here they are again under a different name and a slightly different look.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hezekiah

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

Doesn't add anything.
IIRC it wasn't really open world either, it was "open area" to put some level of exploration in there. But like you said it didn't bring a lot to the game as new stuff to do was quite a bit barren. I remember playing it cooped with friends and we found those parts to be kind of a drag.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Doesn't add anything.
They made the last one semi open world (not open per se) and I remember them doing that off the heels of Uncharted 4 doing it and mentioning making game more open like Uncharted.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Yeah it was semi-open world, felt like it was just cashing in on a trend rather thinking about how it might work to improve the formula.

Really the franchise should have been given a break, similar to how Uncharted has been.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Yeah it was semi-open world, felt like it was just cashing in on a trend rather thinking about how it might work to improve the formula.

Really the franchise should have been given a break, similar to how Uncharted has been.
Just Playstation games need a "break".

Xbox, nintendo can punch tens of the same game with easy.

No, just no. Give me ninth Killzone, Resistance, God of War, GT..

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Just Playstation games need a "break".

Xbox, nintendo can punch tens of the same game with easy.

No, just no. Give me ninth Killzone, Resistance, God of War, GT..
I need another Resistance for sure!