According to TrueTrophies, Xbox games are off to a weak start on Playstation

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
article link

Xbox games on PS5 have been having a rough time so far​

PlayStation users have shown little interest in Microsoft's Xbox games on PS5 so far, according to our Xbox games player count for March 2024.
With the release of those Hi-Fi Rush trophies on PS5, that means we've now seen half of the promised four Xbox games coming to PS5 in 2024. So, how is it going for Microsoft so far? Well, seemingly not great — at least if our Xbox games player count for March 2024 is any indication. That said, there's still a chance this will turn around with the April 2024 release of Sea of Thieves.

Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment see weak debuts on PS5​

Using exclusive data from over 3.1 million active PSN accounts (courtesy of GameInsights), we can see just how many PS5 and PS4 players have booted up the first two former Xbox exclusives to come to PS5: Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush.
Now, I don't think anyone really expected Pentiment to set the PlayStation user base alight. While it does carry the pedigree of Obsidian Entertainment — the studio behind The Outer Worlds and Fallout New Vegas — the title is a lower-profile text-heavy mystery-adventure game. While fans of the studio, like myself, were perhaps hopeful the game would find a new audience with PlayStation users, it was never going to stand out among the Final Fantasy VII Rebirths and Helldivers 2s of the world.

Still, the fact that Pentiment didn't rank among the top 200 most popular PS5 games at launch is a real surprise. One would have thought the attention brought to the game as the first big sanctioned Microsoft launch on PlayStation would have spurred a few more players to action, but I'm afraid not.

Instead, Pentiment was not only overshadowed by recent releases in its launch week, but it also saw fewer players than considerably older games like Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, FIFA 15, Lego City Undercover, Rayman Legends, and The Crew 2.
Mercifully, Tango Gamework's Hi-Fi Rush fared better than Pentiment, although not remarkably better. In its PS5 launch week (data from week ending Sunday, March 24, 2024), Hi-Fi Rush made it to the #124 spot on our top 200 PlayStation Chart.

To put that in perspective, there was a 173.24% difference between Hi-Fi Rush's debut PS5 player count and Dragon Dogma 2's debut PS5 player count. Both games launched the same week, but Dragon's Dogma 2 hit the #9 spot, while Hi-Fi Rush didn't even graze the top 100. At the #24 spot, it's also worth pointing out that PS5 exclusive Rise of the Ronin also beat Hi-Fi Rush's debut player count by 144.33%.

More at the link

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
TrueTrophies is an Opt-In service only people that Sign upto the site and Scan, Just like every other tracking website.
So yeah you can "guess" on Opt-In numbers but there is no way of knowing, Unless one of the Companies gives Numbers.
Guess What The Morning Show GIF by Apple TV+

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
While I don't lay much weight on this statistics, I really wonder why people expect(ed) Xbox games to do well on PlayStation.
If Xbox had desirable games, it wouldn't be in the position it is.

And let's not forget these first 2 ones are actually the "good" ones....

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
TrueTrophies is an Opt-In service only people that Sign upto the site and Scan, Just like every other tracking website.
So yeah you can "guess" on Opt-In numbers but there is no way of knowing, Unless one of the Companies gives Numbers.
Guess What The Morning Show GIF by Apple TV+
True, but 3.1m is a sizeable number of user accounts and I doubt games like Pentiment or Hi-fi Rush are significantly underrepresented.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
None of these games are big sellers, maybe halo would be a different story idk but that series is long past its prime

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That means nothing.
These sites only tracks these that sign-in that are more trophies hunters than common players.

BTW nobody expected the games released until now to sell millions.

If HiFi Rush do over a million it will be a huge success.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Hi-fi Rush was a huge flop everywhere. Launching on Xbox killed any potential this IP had. Same for Starfield.
Sad truth, I love HiFi Rush, but it should've never been released as an Xbox exclusive. And it should've had a physical release since day 1. Xbox only releasing physical games through Limited Run is a joke when Zenimax is one of the largest publishers out there. Eternights was a niche indie game, it was also $30, and it got a standard physical release.... 🤦‍♂️

The only thing that can save it now is a Switch 2 launch release WITH a proper physical release. This game deserves a lot more

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Out of 50M potential????
yes, this isn't exactly apples to apples but things like surveys/polling regularly survey <1000 individuals and can be fairly accurate to within a few percent when extrapolated to a larger population. For example when they survey voters before an election usually the sample sizes are <1000, with the biggest and most reliable ones being <100,000 voters. And yet they usually can predict the result to within single digit percent margins.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
Sea Of Thieves will fare better. It is the most attractive for PS gamers among the four Xbox games.

Reactions: Airbus

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
Don't think anyone mentioned it but they released these games at a really bad time.

The following games just recently hit PS:

Persona 3, FF7 Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, Dragon's Dogma 2, Helldivers 2, MLB The Show 24, WWE 2K24

Then you have stellar blade coming out.

Asking for 40 bucks for Sea of Thieves is like Sony asking for 60 dollars for Horizon 2 on PC, maybe worse even. The same can be said of Hi-Fi Rush.

Really limited advertising for these game drops and Xbox is still trying to obscure the fact that they're releasing games on PlayStation and minimize what a big deal this actually is. It's why they chose these 4 games in the first place.

If I wanted to generate the best selling games I thought I could muster I would have started with

Halo MCC, Gears Trilogy, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon and Starfield.

Reactions: VillaiN

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
I don't understand the point of the news and I don't even know the site. I also wonder why such titles are even being focused on, and all of that without context.

A reputable site would have mentioned that both are absolute niche titles that were released without marketing. Pentiment was released a week before FF7 FF7 Rebirth, Hi-Fi Rush 3 days before Dragons Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin.

Nevertheless, Pentiment was in the 20th-25th place in the PS5 store for weeks and always ahead of titles like Balatro, Hi-Fi Rush has always been in 15th-20th place of the best-selling games since launch and ahead of some prominent representatives. Good rankings for titles of this kind, imo no one - including MS - will expect them to top the lists.

I could understand such news if MS had released Xbox hits like Gears or Halo, but not titles like Pentiment or Hi-Fi Rush. Grounded and especially Sea of Thieves are bigger calibers, but I don't see them on the same level in the charts as sales hits like Spider-Man or God of War. Games like Starfield (despite average reviews) or Forza Horizon should sell significantly better on PS5.

But I'm fairly certain that Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush sold at least as well (or badly) on Playstation as they did on Xbox. As I said, without context, news like this is great for quick clicks, but I don't see how Pentiment (which was made by less than 10 developers) could compete with titles like Rise of the Ronin on Playstation, or how anyone seriously expected that.

In the end, what counts is how much the ports cost and what figures MS is roughly expecting. Since it's already been reported that MS plans to port the majority of Xbox games, even though titles like Grounded and SoT haven't been released yet, the numbers don't seem so bad that they're changing their strategy again.

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Pentiment is a highly rated game. It’s also highly niche. Game will never trend high. I wish it did for the sake of the team that made it. Maybe it will hit PS Plus essentials for more exposure at some point.

I like Hi-Fi but got stuck at parry focused section of the game and tried multiple times, but gave up 😕

This might have been a 4 game test that Phil failed on. Maybe he can focus on building great games from scratch instead of buying developers and porting their games?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Hi-fi Rush was a huge flop everywhere. Launching on Xbox killed any potential this IP had. Same for Starfield.
Starfield never had any potential, being an Xbox exclusive helped it a lot since at least it had people gaslighting others that it wasn't just a shitty game.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I think these types of trackers are no good whatsoever and should be pretty much disregarded.

However… decided to look at the PSN charts over the hardware. all games sorted by best selling…

hifi rush not positioned well but neither is ff7 part 2 (the bigger story) being outperformed by wwe, South Park, Destiny and ff14(!) [dawntrail preorders must be doing well] in revenue for this tracked period.