Activision is finally doing something about Call of Duty’s giant downloads

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
With Season 5 Reloaded, Activision also says that it is going to rely more on texture streaming, and players will be able to pick between “optimized” (the default) or “minimal” streaming. In mid-October, Activision plans to introduce a new user interface for browsing your Call of Duty games, too.

But to prepare for these changes, Activision says you’re going to have to download a big update as part of the Season 5 rollout that will reorganize game files and add new tech “to prep the way for the full player interface.” After that update is done, Activision says that Call of Duty’s footprint will go down because of the “file optimizations.” (PlayStation 5 players will have to download a series of updates because of “differences in file organization.”)

A roadmap from Activision about upcoming Call of Duty updates.

A roadmap from Activision about upcoming Call of Duty updates. Image: Activision

Because of the updates, Activision says that Black Ops 6 will be a “smaller download at launch than Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III.” The company doesn’t have a specific download size for Black Ops 6 yet, but it says that the estimated file sizes shown on preorder listings don’t represent the “download size or disk footprint” for the game. (Activision has already had to clarify this after an Xbox store page listing showed a jaw-dropping 309.85GB download.)

via The Verge

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I'm still waiting for that Switch native version that was promised publicly to all the regulators and Nintendo.
I'm surprised this place didn't bring it up last winter, to be honest. They'll probably have something for Switch 2 next year. Now, as to what it will be? Who knows...

• angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
I'm still waiting for that Switch native version that was promised publicly to all the regulators and Nintendo.
When they made the announcement, they had said "Nintendo Players". That led me to believe it will be for the next gen Nintendo device?

Microsoft: “Microsoft and Nintendo have now negotiated and signed a binding 10-year legal agreement to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo players – the same day as Xbox, with full feature and content parity – so they can experience Call of Duty just as Xbox and PlayStation gamers enjoy Call of Duty. We are committed to providing long term equal access to Call of Duty to other gaming platforms, bringing more choice to more players and more competition to the gaming market.”

2025 starting with the next Nintendo console?

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
When they made the announcement, they had said "Nintendo Players". That led me to believe it will be for the next gen Nintendo device?

I remember someone at Xbox think it was Phil Spencer but not sure saying it's would be relatively simple for Microsofts Devs to get cod running on Nintendo consoles (obvious horse shit)

Reactions: Cool hand luke

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

No, they said they would reach 150 millions new players with the deal. Not in 2025 whenever the new Switch comes out. The engine is from 2015 so they were confident.

"The Activision development team have a long history of optimizing game performance for available hardware capabilities," the statement reads. "The Parties are confident that in addition to Warzone, CoD buy-to-play titles (e.g., CoD: Modern Warfare 2) can be optimised to run on the Nintendo Switch in a timely manner using standard techniques which have been used to bring games such as Apex Legends, DOOM Eternal, Fortnite and Crysis 3 to the Switch."

It was all a bunch of bullshit and Nintendo is dumb as fuck for siding with these crooks.

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
No, they said they would reach 150 millions new players with the deal. Not in 2025 whenever the new Switch comes out. The engine is from 2015 so they were confident.

It was all a bunch of bullshit and Nintendo is dumb as fuck for siding with these crooks.
So they said two different things. Beautiful.