After the video game subscription & video game price increases who here has found themselves buying less games?

Do you still buy same amount of games?

• No, I cut back

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • About the same

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • The same or more

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1715015032401.png

1715015103909.png

I am just curious. I have found myself buying less games on release day and it isn't because I can't afford it. I just wait now until a nice sale comes. Only a few games do I buy day one.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Jim Ryan

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
I've always been one to wait for a sale, but since games have moved to $70, I feel like I'm more patient/stubborn when it comes to waiting for a better deal. When games were $60, I was okay with buying at $40, sometimes even $50 depending on the game. Now, I see that $40 price tag and I think "Meh, I'll just wait until it's $30 or lower." This isn't helped by the fact that I have close to or more than 100 games in my backlog that I still haven't played. Why buy the shiny new game for $70 it'll most likely be on sale within a few months or a year and I have more than enough games to play while I wait?

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I've always been one to wait for a sale, but since games have moved to $70, I feel like I'm more patient/stubborn when it comes to waiting for a better deal. When games were $60, I was okay with buying at $40, sometimes even $50 depending on the game. Now, I see that $40 price tag and I think "Meh, I'll just wait until it's $30 or lower." This isn't helped by the fact that I have close to or more than 100 games in my backlog that I still haven't played. Why buy the shiny new game for $70 it'll most likely be on sale within a few months or a year and I have more than enough games to play while I wait?
Yeah backlog plays a big part too but funnily enough I didn't care about backlog until things went up.

Reactions: Sloane_Ranger

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
I've cut back (a little), but not due to price increases. I still play just as much - HELLO backlog! There just have not been as many (major) titles I have been excited for this year, Indy titles have been my year and will be for the rest unless something awesome shows up at the May(?) PS Showcase.

I am also being more select with how I vote with my money:
- I wait on games I am excited for if the studio has a history of broken game launches - then buy on sale when fixed
- If I want the game in physical form and its not made available, I skip.
- I skip games that have any online requirement to play SP no matter how much I want them (Hello Diablo 4!)
- If a game caters to a political agenda - nope

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I found myself buying more games. Not due to the price increases or anything...just the amount of great games in the last 2 years has been staggering

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I found myself buying more games. Not due to the price increases or anything...just the amount of great games in the last 2 years has been staggering
Nice, hope you've been enjoying them!

My rrotatuin has been constant right now between "No Return", Helldivers 2 and Remnabt 2. Stellar Blade I'll cop soon.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I have been playing and buying less, just because I think nothing interesting is coming out, for the most part. Most of the recent games I've purchased I've played for a bit and felt no need to pick up again. Almost everything I play now I can mess around with for 30 minutes and think "I get it," and just never play again. 🤷‍♂️

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I cut back but not just due to price increases. because I have a massive backlog. Unless it's an absolute showstopper like Elden Ring I won't buy any more games other than redeeming those from EGS and Amazon prime subscription.

No more gamepass subscriptions either. Just not worth it when you have lots of games to play.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I’m playing and spending more this generation compared to last. PS5 reminds me of the old days of PlayStation; there is always something good coming out all the time.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I have cut back significantly but its two fold, cost and age. As i get older i have cut back on a lot of media entertainment because time with family is waaaay more important. Cost gets factored in because i have opted (also due to age) to put away a huge portion of my entertainment budget into my retirement in addition to my monthly contribution in my retirement account.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What determines the games I buy are my hype for future releases and my time. I already own too many games that are likely good that I want to play that it is just not rational to spend money on anything that I don't think is a GoTY type game.

$60 vs $70 is close to irrelevant to me, I'm only buying on release games I'm convinced are going to be absolute banger like FFVII Rebirth, BG3, Elden Ring, etc.

The next new games I see myself buying day one are Death Stranding 2 and GTA6.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don't buy less games, I just don't get the subscription unless it;s on sale and even then only Extra, if that.
I have the most expensive tier I don't even play most of the psplus games bcus I either have owned them or I'm stuck on a few games smh.