Alex Battaglia from DF says he saw Returnal running on PC, implies it might have the typical Unreal Engine stutter issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
19uke5.png

2bkkr0.png

Someone tell the devs that shader pre-compilation is a thing lmao

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Returnal PC release is the one that makes more sense to Sony but I have the feeling the release is too far away yet.
Sackboy Adventura was added to Steam almost a year ago and until now nothing.

At very best I believe Returnal will hit PC in first half of 2023 because from Sony slides the numbers of PC titles for 2022 is already announced and set to release.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It’ll be just over a year for the Returnal port. Not bad honestly.

I’m expecting the actual steam release within the next month or two.

Superb action game. Gave me a ton of NES Metroid vibes.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It’ll be just over a year for Returnal.

Superb action game. Gave me a ton of NES Metroid vibes.
?

It makes 2 years in April 2023... it probably won't launch before that.

Probably will be announce near/around the sequel or major expansion for PS5.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I see no reason why it would be that long. It’s been leaked for awhile that it’s coming. And the game already exhausted its retail run now that its include with Extra.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I see no reason why it would be that long. It’s been leaked for awhile that it’s coming. And the game already exhausted its retail run now that its include with Extra.
Sackboy Adventure was leaked last year in the same Steam database and supposed to release before Returnal... until now nothing happened?

Games on Steam database are games being tested... it doesn't mean anything at all related to release date.
It can be tested to see what works and what not to devs works before the release of it and that can happen in any part of the development processo of that PC port.

By Sony documents there is no more PC release this year unless they changed the plans.
BTW Miles Morales is the biggest release for PC this holiday.

August - Spider-Man Remastered
October - Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection
November - Miles Morales

Perhaps there is a small chance to have TLOU Part 1 released on PC this year... and Returnal won't release before TLOU Part 1.
The room for more PC releases this year (2022) is already full.
That makes me wonder when we will see TLOU Part 1, Sackboy and Returnal on PC?

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022

Maybe, but it might have a purpose providing additional value proposition in Extra thanks to a PC port that's further out. Especially if PS5 supply is ramping up for the rest of this year, makes even more sense strategically.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Not going to re-argue it, but people are taking that Sony bar chart and doing math on it that is pretty fuzzy.

We don't know how many games Sony will release on PC in fiscal 2022, we just don't.

Plans can also change either way.. there's nothing wrong with a company doing that, increasing the number of products they will launch isn't something investors are going to get pissed about lol So both the math is fuzzy, and the logic that it can't change makes no sense.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
If there is a reason it's a marketing one for PS5.

They want to keep a distance between the launch of a game and it's PC release. So it doesn't really matter when the PC release is "complete", it could have been complete for ages now.. the dev said Sony "bought" the game in 2020 and paid for them to focus all their efforts on it and put other projects to the side... considering who the dev is, it probably already was being built for PC.

But they also could decide to release it.. we just don't really KNOW either way.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not going to re-argue it, but people are taking that Sony bar chart and doing math on it that is pretty fuzzy.

We don't know how many games Sony will release on PC in fiscal 2022, we just don't.

Plans can also change either way.. there's nothing wrong with a company doing that, increasing the number of products they will launch isn't something investors are going to get pissed about lol So both the math is fuzzy, and the logic that it can't change makes no sense.
The same can be said about Sony release two PC ports in the same month hurting their own sales lol

That won’t happen.

I posted the reason why there is no more release this year with Sony backing up it with their presentation… you guys guys can dream what you want I guess.

Sony late 2022 is already stacked with PC ports and if you want a guess TLOU Part 1 will release in February with the next PC release around April.

Reactions: Kokoloko

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
The same can be said about Sony release two PC ports in the same month hurting their own sales lol

That won’t happen.
Sure, they may want to spread the releases out over time to not cannibalize sales.

Lots of reasons to hold onto games...

That still doesn't make that number of games people have assumed from the bar chart is some set in stone number ;)

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Sure, they may want to spread the releases out over time to not cannibalize sales.

That still doesn't make that number of games people have assumed from the bar chart is some set in stone number ;)
We can check the number at the end of FY ;)

After all it is not a random guess from Sony… it is their own financial plans that got heavy discussed and approved by the board before goes public.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
We can check the number at the end of FY ;)

After all it is not a random guess from Sony… it is their own financial plans that got heavy discussed and approved by the board before goes public.
And they approved not actually saying the # of games on those charts.

If they wanted to be clear cut and dry about their plans, they wouldn't have used percentages. The chart was meant to convey the percentage of investment in different areas, not an exact number of releases.

And as I've pointed out before, there's some problems with the "math" behind people's calculations.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It’ll be just over a year for the Returnal port. Not bad honestly.

According to the chart Sony shown to their investors they only plan to release 2 PC ports: the Spider-Man Miles Morales Ultimate Edition (but selling its games separatedly) and the Uncharted collection.

Returnal is not releasing in PC, at least not this fiscal year. Games -even console exclusive ones that never get ported to pc- are developed in PCs, maybe he visited their office and some dev have it running in one of their pcs. Or maybe they are making the PC port but don't plan to release it soon, maybe they plan to release it around 2 years after its original release or later.

And they approved not actually saying the # of games on those charts.

If they wanted to be clear cut and dry about their plans, they wouldn't have used percentages. The chart was meant to convey the percentage of investment in different areas, not an exact number of releases.

And as I've pointed out before, there's some problems with the "math" behind people's calculations.
Yes, the idea of showing the graphs was to tell their investors that they'll grow their investment in PC illustrating it with a graph. By using that type of graph it's highlighted more that PC growth more than in other graph types and isn't noticiable that the other areas also will grow. So they did choose that graph type because it did help to tell the message they were telling there: that they will invest more in PC ports in future years.

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the maths. The only proportion that matches for this graph for FY2022 is 1 mobile game, 2 PC ports, 4 PS5 only games, 4 PS4+PS5 crossgen games:

w3TuYzt.jpg

The proportion matches perfectly. So you could multiply these numbers by 2, 3, 4.. to find other possible numbers that also would match with the proportion but the smallest is the only one with realistic numbers. The next one would be 2 mobile games, 4 PC ports, 8 PS5 only games, 8 PS4+PS5 crossgen games but isn't realistic to expect Sony to release 16 console games in a single year.

Even if that would be the case and Sony would be going to publish 16 console games this fiscal year, the 4 PC ports still would match with the Spider-Mans and Unchartes but counting them separatedly (4 games) instead of as their original PS releases (2 games).

Sony won't release more PC ports this fiscal year, period. Whoever made the Nvidia list got GoW right but the other dozen of unannounced Sony games were all wrong, and the list didn't include Sony announced PC ports like the Spider-Mans and TLOU1 remake. They, like everybody else, knew that Sony was working on PC ports so guessed a ton of them and got only one right and failed in 12 games (in the list) + 3 more (announced by Sony and not in the list).

Nothing leads to think Sackboy was added to steam. They simply found a steam project with a file that said Sumo or Sumo Digital or something like that. But Sumo has a ton of studios and work in a ton of games.

The Nvidia list got right 1 unannounced Sony game (GoW), failed in a dozen Sony games that according to the list were going to be released this year and missed to include the next 3 games Sony announced for PC (Spider-Man, Spider-Man Miles Morales and TLOU1R, this one not being released this FY).

Sony mentioned they only planned to port 2 PS games to PC this fiscal year and we know they are the Uncharted Collection and Morales Ultimate (in this case selling its games separatedly). See above.

The graph is part of a fiscal year report to their investors, so no place to lie. And compared to the random guesses of an Nvidia employee yes, they are set in stone because the graph numbers match with the reality perfectly while the Nvidia guesses for Sony (or MS) games to be released this year are total fantasy that have absolutely nothing to do with reality. MS had over a dozen games to be released in 2022 including multiple ones that are in preproduction or that we know won't be released until 4 years from now or so.

Last edited:

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
According to the chart Sony shown to their investors they only plan to release 2 PC ports: the Spider-Man Miles Morales Ultimate Edition (but selling its games separatedly) and the Uncharted collection.

Returnal is not releasing in PC, at least not this fiscal year. Games -even console exclusive ones that never get ported to pc- are developed in PCs, maybe he visited their office and some dev have it running in one of their pcs. Or maybe they are making the PC port but don't plan to release it soon, maybe they plan to release it around 2 years after its original release or later.
Or maybe you guys overestimate your ability to read a vague graph with no real information.

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Nothing leads to think Sackboy was added to steam. They simply found a steam project with a file that said Sumo or Sumo Digital or something like that. But Sumo has a ton of studios and work in a ton of games.

The Nvidia list got right 1 unannounced Sony game (GoW), failed in a dozen Sony games that according to the list were going to be released this year and missed to include the next 3 games Sony announced for PC (Spider-Man, Spider-Man Miles Morales and TLOU1R, this one not being released this FY).

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Same for Returnal.

Sackboy Adventure: https://steamdb.info/app/1599660/
Returnal: https://steamdb.info/app/1649240/

BTW after they found out the Sackboy entry the dev removed everything you can see in the change log… probably the same will with Returnal now it is exposed?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Or maybe you guys overestimate your ability to read a vague graph with no real information.
You remind me of the flathearthers, who reject factual scientific data that explains and perfectly match reality even when put in front of their face.

Same for Returnal.

Sackboy Adventure: https://steamdb.info/app/1599660/
Returnal: https://steamdb.info/app/1649240/

BTW after they found out the Sackboy entry the dev removed everything you can see in the change log… probably the same will with Returnal now it is exposed?
I watched both projects when they were "discovered". The one that is supposed to be Returnal looks like to be Returnal. But the one supposed to be Sackboy I checked it back then and only had two very loose things that made people think it was Sackboy, that Sumo file I mentioned and a Marmalade codename that according to someone (I don't know the source, couldn't verify it) it was the codename of the PS version.

Edit: it's the .exe file of the project, I see it's called marmalade.exe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.