Almost 4 years later how is your PS5 holding up?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1721748599983.png

The PlayStation 5 (PS5) is a home video game console developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment. It was announced as the successor to the PlayStation 4 in April 2019, was launched on November 12, 2020, in Australia, Japan, New Zealand, North America, and South Korea, and was released worldwide a week later.

Very curious how has your system held up physically? Mine is as quiet as the first day, doesnt overheat and have had virtually no hardware issues. How are yours four years later?

Reactions: Englishy and Sircaw

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I see no difference from PS4 but I was lucky to have a silent PS4.
If it was not the lights in the PS5 I should not know it is running lol

And I live in Brazil where hardware trend to overheat more than most countries.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Had some issues at launch with going to rest mode randomly and some issues since with delays of turning on. But otherwise, quiet, smooth ui, and best gaming hardware for me

Reactions: Gamernyc78

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Thts me, i never hear it unless i place a physical disc inside and then i only hear it for a few secs.
I can't test a physical disc because I sold my disc version to have only the DE.
In fact I never tested a disc in my disc version because I only have it for a month (and it was a weird issue with the preorder retail that said they didn't have the console to ship and cancelled the purchase but at the end I received it and it was debited in my credit card... during that time I was anxious and brought a DE from another retail that was delivered in few days... at the end I choose to sell the disc version at the retail price... my profit was R$150 only because I paid less than retail price with a discount coupon... I could have sold for R$2000 more like some did due the supply issues but I thought I was taking the chance of another PS gamer have a PS5 around the launch and I don't like what scrapers do).

PS. It was not easy to buy a PS5 in 2020... you have to be doing F5 in the retail sites until they put some stock and in few minutes it was gone... so you have to be prepared to put in the cart and already buy it fast enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Had some issues at launch with going to rest mode randomly and some issues since with delays of turning on. But otherwise, quiet, smooth ui, and best gaming hardware for me
Nice, yeah my exp too. Fell in love with changing my custom plates i do it every few months :) get great plates from alibaba for only like $20 dollars.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Has a weird issue with connectivity after botting up from rest mode. other than that same as launch.

Which is unusual for me.... I typically get unlucky, Sony consoles break or destabilize for me within 4 years. This is the first generation where I practically have 0. issues.

My PS4 survived for 6 years before it died but after year 3 is was so slow to load anything and as loud as a plane.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Has a weird issue with connecttivity after botting up from rest mode. other than that same as launch.

Which is unusual for me.... I typically get unlucky, Sony consoles break or destabilize for me within 4 years. This is the first generation where I practically have 0 issues.
Damn really? My ps4 and ps3 phat were solid monsters. My PS Phat laated well over 7 years with daily use for hours.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Silent as from day one i bought,

The only thing I can say is different is the actual beep when the PS first turns on; once or twice, there was no sound.

Saying that I have had zero issues.

I was playing Robocop last night and was shocked just how fast I got into the game. I basically pressed continue, and the game was loaded instantly.

I don't know if that is standard on all consoles but its not the only game that I have been impressed by the loading.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Oh ok, makes sense. Yeah i rarely buy physical nowadays.
I think this model will be the only one for the whole generation... it is still shinning like new.
I usually don't change models unless it dies.

But I see people changing to smaller models when it really become small.
Or to the Pro model that is an option but I'm not sold in a Pro model yet... unless there is something really impacting (not just like PS4 Pro) I will wait PS6.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Silent as from day one i bought,

The only thing I can say is different is the actual beep when the PS first turns on; once or twice, there was no sound.

Saying that I have had zero issues.

I was playing Robocop last night and was shocked just how fast I got into the game. I basically pressed continue, and the game was loaded instantly.

I don't know if that is standard on all consoles but its not the only game that I have been impressed by the loading.
After play a lot of games what I can say...

Sony games are really fast even to load without use suspend... it is line 7-10s to load and after you have like 2s loading in game for most games.
3rd-party games is loterry... some are like Sony's 1st party but others are ridiculous bad... like 30-40s loading screens... it is really that bad.

I think it is more related to how devs uses the PS5 SDK to make the experience almost loading free.
Some doesn't care maybe due the nature to have to deploy to multiple platforms so they made everything equal not talking advantage of PS5 specialties.

Reactions: Sircaw

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Damn really? My ps4 and ps3 phat were solid monsters. My PS Phat laated well over 7 years with daily use for hours.
My Ps1 stopped reading disks
Don't remember how my first PS2 broke
PS3 was the worst for me, disk drive broke on my launch model in 2008 when I was addicted to cod4(horrible timing), although it lasted 8 years as a digital only before it YLOD'd. Second PS3 died randomly in year two.
Ps4 lasted the longest at 6 years, but console wise I must admit I always felt like it was cheaply made. The UI always lagged/slowed down harshly, and by year 3 it was louder than a plane. Super annoying honestly.

Not to mention Sony has always had shit launch controllers, Ps3 controllers would go flimsy damn near instantly, Ps4 analog stick quality was really bad... usually they don't get it right until a revision or two

Ps5 is the only Sony console I've had no issues with oddly enough.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
My Ps1 stopped reading disks
Don't remember how my first PS2 broke
PS3 was the worst for me, disk drive broke on my launch model in 2008 when I was addicted to cod4(horrible timing), although it lasted 8 years as a digital only before it YLOD'd. Second PS3 died randomly in year two.
Ps4 lasted the longest at 6 years, but console wise I must admit I always felt like it was cheaply made. The UI always lagged/slowed down harshly, and by year 3 it was louder than a plane. Super annoying honestly.

Not to mention Sony has always had shit launch controllers, Ps3 controllers would go flimsy damn near instantly, Ps4 analog stick quality was really bad... usually they don't get it right until a revision or two

Ps5 is the only Sony console I've had no issues with oddly enough.
PS1 laser reader was really fragile.
While I could use it until I move to PS2 I have to use some tricks... when it started to not reading discs I started to use it upside down and that fixed without need to buy a new one... of course at the end even in that way it stopped to read in some place so I just shake it up and everything back to norm :D

This was the only console I had hardware issues.
And to be fair I like more the launch models than the others in the generation... PS3 launch model is the most complete with actual hardware BC and support to OtherOS... PS4 launch model is the most sexy.... I do like more the PS2 launch than Slim.... and PS1 launch design grow on you (I don't like the slim either).

• Informative
Reactions: voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
PS1 laser reader was really fragile.
While I could use it until I move to PS2 I have to use some tricks... when it started to not reading discs I started to use it upside down and that fixed without need to buy a new one... of course at the end even in that way it stopped to read in some place so I just shake it up and everything back to norm :D

This was the only console I had hardware issues.
And to be fair I like more the launch models than the others in the generation... PS3 launch model is the most complete with actual hardware BC and support to OtherOS... PS4 launch model is the most sexy.... I do like more the PS2 launch than Slim.... and PS1 launch design grow on you (I don't like the slim either).
Man... I did everything to fix my ps1, One of my happiest moments of childhood is when my dad said he'd go get me another PS1, he came home with a PS2 with a copy of jak and daxter and Final fantasy X! I had no clue Ps2 even existed lmfao

I didn't realize it was BC until I finished my two games... I tried playing Digimon World and it worked :oops: mindblowing at the time

• party
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Man... I did everything to fix my ps1, One of my happiest moments of childhood is when my dad said he'd go get me another PS1, he came home with a PS2 with a copy of jak and daxter and Final fantasy X! I had no clue Ps2 even existed lmfao
Man I could imagine that being an amazing moment... I have something like with my first mountain bike with gears.

• Heart
Reactions: voke

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
No issues with the console since launch.

Only once with a controller after an update.

Controllers kept turning microphone off and on and for some reason turned sound off TV speakers cause it believed headphones were plugged in.

This happened right after the update and resolved after the next update.