Ampere Analyst expects Sony to react to Xbox’s Activision deal with a major acquisition of its own

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Sony Interactive Entertainment could respond to Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard with a major deal of its own.

That’s according to Ampere Analysis’ games research director Piers Harding-Rolls, who believes the PlayStation maker “is under pressure to react” to Xbox’s mega deal.
“Sony surely is under pressure to react, even after their Bungie acquisition,” Harding-Rolls told GamesIndustry.biz. “I expect further investments and acquisitions for PlayStation, including a large one that would move the needle for them in a meaningful way.”

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
2 years we're waiting. Sony is not doing shit.
This is where im at now. Sony waited too long and now all of tech can buy at their leisure because there is no reason to deny them after ABK went through. Sony has no intention of buying anybody larger than bungie. Theyd rather let sony pictures have all the funds.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Garbage! I don’t play Fortnite or that soccer cars game. Tencent owns 40% and would ask for a substantial premium. Epic doesn’t get me anything as a gamer.
Fortnite fills a void that has proved to be too difficult to fill. But yeah, it can’t happen without paying an exorbitant amount of money to Tencent.

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
I don't want an acquisition war. I said it during ABK and the same now. Only where a company actually allows independence like Bungie gets will I accept. Cheering the actual removal of established IP on competing platforms isn't for me. Fuck that.

Reactions: laynelane and Box

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
People always overestimate sony. Yet throughout Sony’s history they have alway taken the path of consistent and steady.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Then what happens when say netflix or google buys take 2? Do you see how vulnerable sony is by not owning IP that makes them popular?
Do you even know what IPs made PS popular lmao. Remember that Japanese games were actually what made PS1 and PS2 a dominant force, not some online trash like current COD or GTA online. Different time, different circumstance, things change all the time. Some of you here overestimate people’s willingness to change platform, these dedicated platform gamers will find a substitute first before they actually migrate.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
We need an “Obvious” reaction.

And to all wondering why they have waited, it’s because that was the smart strategy while waiting to see if MS would be stopped by regulators. Sony buying anyone big during that time would have been leverage for MS to have an easier time.

Also, the FTC is still fighting the Activision deal.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Sony and Nintendo need to Merge, that's the only way to succeed.
Entirely deleterious to Nintendo, what do they have to gain from it? Bear in mind, given their valuations, that this would have to be a true merger and not the disguised acquisition that some previous ones like Activision have been.

Reactions: Bryank75

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
We need an “Obvious” reaction.

And to all wondering why they have waited, it’s because that was the smart strategy while waiting to see if MS would be stopped by regulators. Sony buying anyone big during that time would have been leverage for MS to have an easier time.

Also, the FTC is still fighting the Activision deal.
Yep, the idea that Sony are taking "too long" is really stupid and gets repeated on this forum daily unfortunately.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty