Another PC flop: Until Dawn underperforms on Steam with 2.5k CCU at launch. Hermen flees the country

Is Sony going to recoup the total cost of the project with the PC sales?

• Yes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Gabe and Phil are smiling as Sony kills itself

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The verdict is in and it's not looking good for Until Dawn on PC 😬

The peak is only 2,541 and number 22 on Steam😬

It's also getting review-bombed with a rating of 58.42% 😬

Below 3k for a Day 1 AAA is a massive underperformance but for Sony this is one of the biggest flops. Worse than Ratchet (8,757), Returnal (6,691) and Uncharted (10,851). Even Hellblade 2 got 3,982.

What's particular with Until Dawn is that it's Day 1 on PC so the whole budget needs to be recouped on that version according to our experts Yuri and Mibu. There's no PS lifeboat in this case.

What's next for Hermen? Where is he hiding as his studios and IPs are sinking into irrelevancy and laughing material?

Stats for similar games by Supermassive:

To put things into perspective these are what other Supermassive games did on Steam.

The Quarry - 6349​

The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope - 4997​

The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan - 4518​

The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes - 4578​

The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me - 3599​

Last edited:

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Great news, the more PC players reject it is not a bad thing in my book. The execs love metrics, so these are good metrics for day one releases and shorter gaps.

I will say this is a title if picked up by the right streamer it can blow up with the new-gen, but that's very wishful thinking.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
More evidence that woke and anti-woke are only a different side of the same coin.

I used to lean more towards the anti woke side and followed guys like Endymion and Grummz.

Truth is, they're just as repetitive and annoying as these they/them idiots.

Both sides are just trying to force their crap on everybody.

It's like fascists vs communists.

OP
OP
Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
How this game is a flop when it was huge success almost 10 years ago? :D
It's a full remake made from the ground up on Unreal and PC with a new studio. The budget restarts at 0.

They need to justify the price they paid and the years of development with these PC sales because the remake would not get made at all if it wasn't for the PC version.

The PS port is pure profit according to what was said earlier so that's fine.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
It's a full remake made from the ground up on Unreal and PC with a new studio. The budget restarts at 0.

They need to justify the price they paid and the years of development with these PC sales because the remake would not get made at all if it wasn't for the PC version.

The PS port is pure profit according to what was said earlier so that's fine.

I know that, yes. But when sales will be counted, it will counted as one always. Not specifically Remake or Remaster

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I know that, yes. But when sales will be counted, it will counted as one always. Not specifically Remake or Remaster
Hmmm no? Remake sales are never added to the original release ones. Didn't happen to the Resident Evil Remakes, didn't happen to TLOU Part 1 Remake, didn't happen to FF7, didn't happen to Demon's Souls.

OP
OP
Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It's an overpriced remake no one really wanted.
It's a totally new game for PC. Day 1, not an old port. We have to stop making excuses.

So what? I'm talking about the budget of this project from Ballistic Moon. The same way Silent Hill 2 from Bloober is a separate project with his own goals for Konami.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I used to lean more towards the anti woke side and followed guys like Endymion and Grummz.

Truth is, they're just as repetitive and annoying as these they/them idiots.

Both sides are just trying to force their crap on everybody.

It's like fascists vs communists.
exactly. people need to stop trying to one-up each other in the outrage wars and just be normal.

• they're_right_you_know

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
It's a totally new game for PC. Day 1, not an old port. We have to stop making excuses.

So what? I'm talking about the budget of this project from Ballistic Moon. The same way Silent Hill 2 from Bloober is a separate project with his own goals for Konami.

I understand a PC release date, but it would have been better if they just released a port and a remastered for $30.

What people really want are: Resistance, Killzone, Bloodborne, Infamous remakes.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
It's an overpriced remake no one really wanted.

How is it overpriced? And compared to what?

Also no one asked for games like Fall Guys, Among Us, Only Up etc. but they were still made, got released, and found big audiences. A game like Until Dawn, you'd think would be able to find a sizable audience on a place like Steam.

But when you have braindead things like Kabrutus and their "SBI Detector" blatantly going after games with not a hint of SBI's involvement, then you have something actively creating an environment that stifles any growth of an audience. And this is all on the platform SIE are desperate to see big growth on.

Once again, karma is a hell of a drug.

Reactions: arvfab