Anyone want to discuss L4D and it's genre?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I do quite like the mods for L4D series on pc and still think it's would be successors miss the mark on repeating it's broader appeal.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I do quite like the mods for L4D series on pc and still think it's would be successors miss the mark on repeating it's broader appeal.

I love L4D2, have some 80h or more playing with my mates just in the past year or so. Mods completely change the game, especially having chargers as John Cena 😂

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I find later derivatives all fall into the same issues. They focus on stat building the characters, where L4D the characters were all the same to my knowledge. The fun came from the changing/emergent gameplay of each run, furthered mods for PC. A mod/dlc pipeline should have been established for console, something like the modern farming sim or wwe2k content server,, downloading content into the game like Steam workshop on PC. If a version of it doesn't exist for consoles already from old Portal 2 game etc.

One of only knocks I could give L4D would be no crawling when downed? But I think that's purely an age thing.

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I've mentioned this around before, but I thought that bringing everything from L4D1 over into L4D2 was a stroke of genius.

I think any MP game sequel should do the same, but in today's environment of lesser sequel overall, Remasters without MP modes, I'd retrofit L4D into a GAAS and pimp new mods, modes, levels/campaigns etc.

Now I don't know the extent of steam workshop on consoles today, but other things exist like my aforementioned farming sim/WWE content sharing servers. Surely a L4D relaunch is even more fit in today's world?

Just don't microtransaction/in-game currency and artificially gimp/buff stats based on bs consumables. Just let me get in there and shoot inflected. For a nod to the times, let me crawl around on the floor after being knocked over, at least.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I feel this genre is dead, but will eventually be revived some day when a developer knows how to do it right again.