Apple has again emerged victorious in its legal battle with Epic Games

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Apple has again emerged victorious in its long-running legal battle with Epic Games.

As reported by Bloomberg, the US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld a lower-court judge’s 2021 ruling largely rejecting Epic’s claims that Apple violated federal law by not allowing any competing marketplaces on its iOS platform.

Epic’s antitrust lawsuit against the iPhone maker began in August 2020 after it moved to circumvent Apple’s 30% platform fees with a new direct payment option in Fortnite, leading to the game’s removal from the App Store and the termination of Epic’s developer account.

“There is a lively and important debate about the role played in our economy and democracy by online transaction platforms with market power,” the three-judge appeals panel said in the case’s latest ruling.

“Our job as a federal court of appeals, however, is not to resolve that debate — nor could we even attempt to do so. Instead, in this decision, we faithfully applied existing precedent to the facts.”

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Fuck Epic. I'm no Apple fan but over time their products are starting to appeal to me, there is something to be said about the benefits of a more closed system. I don't want some trashy MS store or Epic store popping up on my PlayStation so I would be a hypocrite to criticize Apple for not wanting that on their system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Box

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Good!

Steve Jobs GIF

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
These that are following the case knows how laughable were the Epic “evidences” and “claims”.

At some point the Epic’s lawyers even become memes.

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
Isnt microsft banking on apple failing so they can have their app on the store or something to that effect?
Apples already required to allow downloads from other app stores so I think they don’t really care about the remaining battles

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Shame. The quicker these app store monopolies are broken the better for everyone. No wonder Apple and Google has been bribing politicians to delay bringing up the Digital Markets Act again.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Apples already required to allow downloads from other app stores so I think they don’t really care about the remaining battles
Only in EU and I don’t think they will do that easy.

BTW I support closed systems to continue closed… apps and purchase should pass though a common regulator/engine and in iPhone case it Apple tools.

I hope to not be affected by security issues and bad app quality after Apple allow 3rd-trash to enter in their ecosystem… everything I don’t like in Android probably will come to iPhone… and of course people will blame Apple 🤷‍♂️

Same for close consoles… I don’t anybody else having my data for purchase or allowing apps that didn’t pass though Sony… I want that layer of security over my devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghostz and VillaiN

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Typical misinformed apple user.
Same for closed consoles but you just read and cut that to blame typical informed Apple user… why not typical informed PlayStation user?

🤷‍♂️

BTW it is the same reason I don’t support Gamepass.

Just take a look at the apps on Android and iPhone and you can see the difference but you probably never used a Apple device so will continue being a typical misinformed Android user :(

The last thing a typical informed Apple/PlayStation/others users want is to have to deal with the Android mess with apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyoji

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Isnt microsft banking on apple failing so they can have their app on the store or something to that effect?
No, they want it to fail, but can make due without.

What the industry really needs is an open platform -including store fronts- that anyone can use without restriction. A decade ago that was supposed to be Google, but it never was with the store, which kind of sucks (and has held back things like unrestricted ad blocking over time.) That said, Epic was really sticking their neck out, legally, and while this case might continue on to the Supreme Court its more likely that this is it getting chopped off.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Good. Epic are on some bullshit. Want to freeloaders of a platform built by others. They win this they'll try that shit on PS and everywhere else. Make money from you on platform. Make a game instead of Nickel and diming MTX.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If Epic wins? Will it will effect gaming consoles? Every publisher will have his own digital store on my PS5. 😂

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Guys .... Apple and Google having totalitarian control over the most important computing platforms to the general public is not a good thing.

Can you imagine if Microsoft wanted total control over Windows software AND a 30% cut of all business being transacted on the platform? Everyone would think that was outrageous. Same for Apple and MacOS. Or Linus Torvalds and Linux.

But the mobile platforms are bigger than those at this point. And people cheer Apple on ... I don't get it.

And they also don't compare to consoles at all, which are very singular purpose entertainment devices. iPhones and Android devices are computers now, and many people's primary device and sole way of interacting with small/medium/large businesses around the globe. I know I've harped on this, but no, no company should have that much power and control over every day lives of everyone.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Guys .... Apple and Google having totalitarian control over the most important computing platforms to the general public is not a good thing.

Can you imagine if Microsoft wanted total control over Windows software AND a 30% cut of all business being transacted on the platform? Everyone would think that was outrageous. Same for Apple and MacOS. Or Linus Torvalds and Linux.

But the mobile platforms are bigger than those at this point. And people cheer Apple on ... I don't get it.

And they also don't compare to consoles at all, which are very singular purpose entertainment devices. iPhones and Android devices are computers now, and many people's primary device and sole way of interacting with small/medium/large businesses around the globe. I know I've harped on this, but no, no company should have that much power and control over every day lives of everyone.
you're making too much sense. Apple has already spent millions of dollars in advertising using fear that alternative options will make their phone less safe, for "reasons". It's funny because Apple knows how to keep an operating system safe whille allowing downloads from the internet/other app stores, they own Mac for gods sake.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No, they want it to fail, but can make due without.

What the industry really needs is an open platform -including store fronts- that anyone can use without restriction. A decade ago that was supposed to be Google, but it never was with the store, which kind of sucks (and has held back things like unrestricted ad blocking over time.) That said, Epic was really sticking their neck out, legally, and while this case might continue on to the Supreme Court its more likely that this is it getting chopped off.
That already exists and it is called Android.
You can install from any place and can have any store front you want.

And for people that prefer closed ecosystems? Why we need to accept Android way? Why can’t we have just iOS like it is? Or better have more closed platform to choose?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It wouldn't happen and it's not the same situation, even remotely.
It is the same situation to be fair.

What apply to iOS applies to PS OS, Xbox OS or Switch OS.

Being selective where you can have closed platform is weird… or you have in any place or you have in none.

But having no closed platform option will just harm consumers because you are basically taking options from the market. Not everybody likes how open platforms works.

More closed and open platforms should be the ideal and not that artificial forced way… the market can choose what they want… if they don’t want closed platform they will just not buy it and so it will die naturally 🤷‍♂️

Now wanting to force Apple to open iOS just because you don’t like closed platforms (or iOS or Apple) is what can’t happen in any market.

The biggest question is… if you don’t like closed platforms, iOS or Apple why do you want it to become open? After all it continuing like it is won’t affect you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nhomnhom