Apple has again emerged victorious in its legal battle with Epic Games

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Interesting all the threads that can be pulled-on.

Timestamped.

I guess we know why Epic started this whole thing over Fortnite players on Apple: cause the epic store is failing. They should be good though, since Sony keep investing in them ffs.

People keep saying Sony have to do their own PC storefront. I see no benefit in that, as we've already seen EA/UBI slink-back onto Steam, and Epic's PC store is bleeding money. (Sony buying Valve for Steam store, or CDPR for gog seems to make more sense than their own store, but those seem unlikely).

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
There is nothing stoping consoles from being a general computing device (see the Steam Deck) and a console like the PS5 hardly requires any subside to sell.

This entire premise is clearly a trap and the same arguments will eventually be used for MS and Epic to be able to put their stores and services on PlayStation/Switch without paying anything to Sony/Nintendo.

I hardly see any Apple or Android users begging for additional stores and middle men. MS is probably acquiring so many publisher assuming they'll be able to leverage their size to force people to install their garbage store.
Completely disagree about nothing stopping consoles from being general computing devices. They would essentially be pc’s and not consoles as we know them. Their entire existence revolves around an eco system to be viable.

As far as people begging for other storefronts for phones, correct - they aren’t because the stores are already general purpose, it is the devs that are questioning rationale to the gatekeeping, on charges and funnelled payment processing. For me as a consumer it is Apples overbearing restrictions that need challenging. Google, you can sideload whatever you want.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Completely disagree about nothing stopping consoles from being general computing devices. They would essentially be pc’s and not consoles as we know them. Their entire existence revolves around an eco system to be viable.

As far as people begging for other storefronts for phones, correct - they aren’t because the stores are already general purpose, it is the devs that are questioning rationale to the gatekeeping, on charges and funnelled payment processing. For me as a consumer it is Apples overbearing restrictions that need challenging. Google, you can sideload whatever you want.
The entire existence of Apple products revolve around their Eco system for it to make sense. They don't sell just hardware.

Devs are not going to pass those saving forward to the costumer (just like they don't pass the saving to Epic Store).

There is nothing stopping MS from trying again with Windows Phone 2.0 expect the fact that absolutely nobody wants that. As for Epic what a disgraceful and pathetic company.

Apple will likely end up allowing people to side load stuff and pretty much nothing will change except that they'll have to worry about a lot more stuff for close to no gain to most of their users.

Reactions: Box and ethomaz

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
You know except the super bugged mess of Firefox on Android no other browsers supports add-one/plugins/extensions.
You are right, but I use Brave to listen to youtube in the background with an ad blocker, it supports plugins.

Firefox somehow got screwed a couple of years ago when they introduced a broken UI and started to whitelist the plugins we could use on mobile. This happened a bit after the firefox foundation started to give money given to it by donors to various unrelated social causes unrelated to what firefox should be doing (I.E., if I want to give money to a foundation I'd rather them use it as opposed to passing it around to other foundations that I never decided to give money to). So for a while I kept using the old version that I had to sideload from its APK, but I lost all interest.

So other than having its own rendering engine firefox is of no interest these days.
What’s wrong with video handling?
All browsers that use Safari (every browser on iOS) when a video is played it uses its own player instead of whatever the site builder made for their site, it works OK until you go full screen then it becomes finnicky and does not minimize back into the sites at times. I recall feeling that its behavior seemed unpredictable.

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
You are right, but I use Brave to listen to youtube in the background with an ad blocker, it supports plugins.

Firefox somehow got screwed a couple of years ago when they introduced a broken UI and started to whitelist the plugins we could use on mobile. This happened a bit after the firefox foundation started to give money given to it by donors to various unrelated social causes unrelated to what firefox should be doing (I.E., if I want to give money to a foundation I'd rather them use it as opposed to passing it around to other foundations that I never decided to give money to). So for a while I kept using the old version that I had to sideload from its APK, but I lost all interest.

So other than having its own rendering engine firefox is of no interest these days.

All browsers that use Safari (every browser on iOS) when a video is played it uses its own player instead of whatever the site builder made for their site, it works OK until you go full screen then it becomes finnicky and does not minimize back into the sites at times. I recall feeling that its behavior seemed unpredictable.

I think that’s fixed now, haven’t had any issues. It just goes to PiP now.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The video on iOS plays on the actual site players until you maximize it to go full screen or move the page down where you can see the site player... in that last case it become a PiP in the botton of the screen playing the video.

For councidence I was doing tests with that yesterday... it is very impressive how it works.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

Fucking preach!

My ass is on old ff mobile, and not even an as older version as I would want, but android eventually just force closes the app or spouts some shit about cores no longer being supported. It's usually murder if I have to get a new phone, it's like "how far back will 'this' phone accept FF mobile?"

And for desktop FF I'm still pre-addon apocalypse. It's starting to become a pain in the arse for media focused websites (your browser is no longer supported), but my attempt the other day to work in the latest dev build didn't go very nicely, wtf have they done?

• Shake
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
glad that is over! All that mess just because Epic and let’s not forget Microsoft both wanted to use and abuse a big and closed ecosystem while both Epic and Microsoft have the same thing.

What is more laughable is what Microsoft back then accused of Apple doing/being is now what MS is trying to do with the buyout of big publishers and making them exclusive.

Also Apple is soulless nowadays.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
And for desktop FF I'm still pre-addon apocalypse. It's starting to become a pain in the arse for media focused websites (your browser is no longer supported), but my attempt the other day to work in the latest dev build didn't go very nicely, wtf have they done?
They started by doing diversity and inclusion, it allowed those who took over the project to kick out those who started the project. Since then it's all going downhill.

FFS use brave browser, I went through all this and found a way out (I'm unsure how long it will work, but as of now it does).