Are games intentionally bloated to justify their price?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Don't agree with some of your examples, but in general I agree.

RDR2 and Elden Ring for example, are some games I liked, but the open world bloat really impacted them negatively and made the experience feel a few step backwards in respect to their predecessors.

Hogwarts too would have been an even greater experience with a smaller map.
I loved exploring Hogwarts tht definitely wasn't a gripe for me but the repitiveness of the enemies got to me.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Damn, now I feel like I should get that platinum.

Thanks for tempting me Peter! Haha

You're welcome and yeah, Hellblade was an easy platinum. Fun fact, I didn't know I even had that platinum until weeks later because I keep the notifications off so I never saw it. lol

And the lore stones are easily attainable as you're playing through the game.

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
World tour is giant turd. Especially for costume unlocks.

• they're_right_you_know

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You're welcome and yeah, Hellblade was an easy platinum. Fun fact, I didn't know I even had that platinum until weeks later because I keep the notifications off so I never saw it. lol

And the lore stones are easily attainable as you're playing through the game.
Damn never finished it, got bored of the combat. Ima have to go back.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think crying that you can't easily get all the trophies has nothing to do with bloat. Thats on you for engaging with a part of the game you don't like just to get a sticker. Other people might really like that function, depending on the game.

As to actual "bloat", only if it gets in the way of parts of the game I like. I am playing through Xenoblade Chronicles 3 right now and am pretty overlevelled from exploring and doing side content. Due to the way battles and XP work in this game the enemy bosses I fight still take multiple minutes to kill despite them having no shot at killing me, and then they give no XP. Now that is bloat, especially with the unskippable special move cutscenes. Still love the game but no there are definitely bloated aspects holding it back.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yes, they are and it only makes them worse.

Studios clearly feel some sort of pressure to include open world elements on their games. As a player that just makes me play less games as I find open world game a lot harder to tackle.

I feel like ideally we would have $40~$60 games that are shorter and don't go on deep sales.

• brain

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I loved exploring Hogwarts tht definitely wasn't a gripe for me but the repitiveness of the enemies got to me.
The castle itself was an HP fan dream come true, I just would have preferred more dungeons instead of empty lands + small enemy camps.

• Shake
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Studios clearly feel some sort of pressure to include open world elements on their games. As a player that just makes me play less games as I find open world game a lot harder to tackle.

I feel like ideally we would have $40~$60 games that are shorter and don't go on deep sales.
I would like 15 hour game the straight to the point plot and that's it. I am tired of open words, side quests, and 2 hour long walk and talk chapters.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I would like 15 hour game the straight to the point plot and that's it. I am tired of open words, side quests, and 2 hour long walk and talk chapters.
And yet whenever one comes out, even if its good, its sales are a fraction of those the big Ubi-style games get.

Edit: Welll, there were two big successes this year, Atomic Heart and Robocop. Both from small teams, both "come out of nowhere" to audience delight. Maybe there's hope yet, even if the bigger names (IoA, Gollum) underperformed.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

That's where I think they should be aiming for too.

It that I wouldn't be open to paying 70 or more for a game that can justify a large amount of content.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
And yet whenever one comes out, even if its good, its sales are a fraction of those the big Ubi-style games get.
I agree.
That's because these huge games are marketed to death so people buy them. Now find the chicken and egg problem.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
That's where I think they should be aiming for too.

It that I wouldn't be open to paying 70 or more for a game that can justify a large amount of content.
I don't get where the lack of price flexibility comes from, cheaper and smaller AAA games would probably have a huge appeal.

I think the core problem is that they are too used to devaluing their own products rather fast (something that only Nintendo doesn't do). Why is increasing price and scope the only thing they can think about? It's the most obviously unsustainable path.

I remember that I didn't play GoW in 2018 and like 1 years later it was being sold new for like $15. This was a game that won most GoTY awards that year and an absolute success yet still they felt the need to do aggressive sales right after release.

The expectation of future sales as well as inclusion on services like PS+ only work as an incentive for people not to buy the games, even if they are interested into playing them. On the Nintendo platform you have no expectation of deep sales or inclusion in these services so people just go out and buy the games or release, since it doesn't make any sense to wait multiple years for a tiny discount (if even that).

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sloane_Ranger