Arrogant Sony? No. Microsoft in the lead was insufferable.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022

Listen to Peter Moore use PlayStation as a punchline in his sales presentation.

Then the crowd erupts in laughter.

In comparison to this, the "How to share games on PS4" seemed good natured and never explicitly mentioned the competitors.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The days of arrogant Sony when they took a massive loss on hardware and ofered a feature complete console, free online and even an option to install Linux. Pretty much none of it done in bad faith.

All while good guy MS was pushing microtransactions, paywall, paid online, paid online for F2P and right after tried to kill used games, force always on and Kinect into people.

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
The Xbox 360 released a year earlier and had simpler architecture, leading to better third-party support, which helped soften the fact that their first-party lineup was weak.

Then the very next generation, they fumble so stupidly hard, they're still feeling the effects from it and have no hope of catching up, causing a massive restructuring of how they operate.

It just goes to show that without the 360's success, Microsoft would've left the console space years ago. But in this clip, you can see them take it for granted. They had no idea they were just lucky and were about to fuck it all up.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Arrogant Sony = expensive console

Arrogant MS = DRM, no ownership of games, no trade ins, mandatory always on Kinect watching you to sell your data and fundamentally altering how games at replayed for the worse, and also overpriced and weaker console

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Arrogant Sony = expensive console

Arrogant MS = DRM, no ownership of games, no trade ins, mandatory always on Kinect watching you to sell your data and fundamentally altering how games at replayed for the worse, and also overpriced and weaker console
Sony pretty much just fucked up the hardware by betting on the Cell and every other problem derives from that: price, lack of games early on, worse third party games, hard to program for, hard to reduce the price in the long run, hard to emulate, etc.

During that gen when Sony introduced PS+ they were the first to include games, until then MS didn't even bother with including any games. Sony to this day still puts some effort into PS+ lower tier while MS gave up on Games with Gold a long time ago.

MS is by far the most anti-consumer company in the console space, far worse than even Nintendo.

Reactions: Shadow2027

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I'm not going to watch your mid-2000s sales-talk video but I will say that Microsoft is a shitty market leader in games because they want to do the bare minimum to keep their position. They'd gladly, once they reach "minimum viability" in a position, cancel anything that goes above and beyond that. We've seen it in the late 360/early One era, we're seeing it now with the Activision cuts and seemingly the Blizzard one too. Blizzard's a little odd to me, with both the A-B portfolio and their existing stuff like MFS and AoE yeah, they do have a bunch of market-leading titles on PC, but still haven't really built the ecosystem to house them. Giving up on that Survival game means that either the title actually looked like shit, no matter what its insider creators say, or they are done putting effort into PC for the next five to ten years.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I'm not going to watch your mid-2000s sales-talk video but I will say that Microsoft is a shitty market leader in games because they want to do the bare minimum to keep their position. They'd gladly, once they reach "minimum viability" in a position, cancel anything that goes above and beyond that. We've seen it in the late 360/early One era, we're seeing it now with the Activision cuts and seemingly the Blizzard one too. Blizzard's a little odd to me, with both the A-B portfolio and their existing stuff like MFS and AoE yeah, they do have a bunch of market-leading titles on PC, but still haven't really built the ecosystem to house them. Giving up on that Survival game means that either the title actually looked like shit, no matter what its insider creators say, or they are done putting effort into PC for the next five to ten years.
Thinking further on it, I sort of really hate their dominance in PC right now too. I despise tiles and Windows 10, think that the Paint they offer today lacks important features that Apple's paint program had 30 years ago and postulate that they'd be totally and utterly fucked in the desktop space if .docx were to somehow go multiplatform. Because honestly, submitting resumes in a format that other people can download and read (sorry .ods) is the only reason I pay for Office anymore.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
It goes without saying.

To all those young people who like to say "remember when the Xbox360 had all those great exclusives?", and then turn around and say "damn Sony and their moneyhats!".

How exactly do you think Xbox360 got so many big exclusives? It was precisely by making the "moneyhat" commonplace. They weren't the first to do so, however. Neither Sony.

The "moneyhat to lock an exclusive" business practice was introduced by Nintendo, in fact. Batman and Street Fighter II were famous third party timed exclusives locked out from the MegaDrive. I don't recall people calling Nintendo anti-consumer for it back then, though. Maybe it's because they were few and far between.

The "moneyhat" practice only became rampant after MS joined the console market, and ironically, Nintendo actually was immediately hurt the most by this.

The more one thinks back, the more one realises how much MS corrupted the gaming industry.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think what people need to realize is that Sony has always been kind of quiet (other than Kutaragi who was petty af lol). So the majority of discourse has been shaped by MS propaganda. Did Sony misread the market at the beginning of PS3? Yes. But they immediately recognized their mistake and course corrected. That's not being arrogant.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I think what people need to realize is that Sony has always been kind of quiet (other than Kutaragi who was petty af lol). So the majority of discourse has been shaped by MS propaganda. Did Sony misread the market at the beginning of PS3? Yes. But they immediately recognized their mistake and course corrected. That's not being arrogant.
I personally don't think they misread the market. They were fighting multiple battles at the time and used the PS3 as a Trojan horse to attempt to kill 2 birds with one stone.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
The days of arrogant Sony when they took a massive loss on hardware and ofered a feature complete console, free online and even an option to install Linux. Pretty much none of it done in bad faith.

All while good guy MS was pushing microtransactions, paywall, paid online, paid online for F2P and right after tried to kill used games, force always on and Kinect into people.
Yeah , people cried about the price but the launch model included the PS2 chipset for full backwards compatibility something would paid a premium for

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I personally don't think they misread the market. They were fighting multiple battles at the time and used the PS3 as a Trojan horse to attempt to kill 2 birds with one stone.
You don't go on stage and tell people to get a 2nd job if you didn't misread the market. They could have made a $400 version with no back compat at launch and blamed the $600 on the bc being expensive.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
You don't go on stage and tell people to get a 2nd job if you didn't misread the market. They could have made a $400 version with no back compat at launch and blamed the $600 on the bc being expensive.
That IBM-Toshiba joint was a moneypit but they was also caught off guard because their infracstructrue was shite. Their whole portoflio at the time was some really fossil shite.

Moving their HQ to US and promote England division leadership was probably the best choice they ever made, kinda save the brand and make it gigantic.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
That IBM-Toshiba joint was a moneypit but they was also caught off guard because their infracstructrue was shite. Their whole portoflio at the time was some really fossil shite.

Moving their HQ to US and promote England division leadership was probably the best choice they ever made, kinda save the brand and make it gigantic.
I'm calling you out , your Japanese only us from Yorkshire & Scotland & Ireland say shite 🤣

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru and historia

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Most of the shade against PS by the press comes from the fact that they don't have sources at Sony. Sony doesn't cultivate "influencer" assets like Xbox. This has been widely acknowledged by press figures during the latest drama. The meme of "arrogant" Sony is mostly bullshit. There's not many good examples outside Ken Kuturagi saying you'll get a 2nd job to afford a PS3. That was nearly 20 years ago.