Arrowhead CEO Addresses Delisted Countries, Wants Them Back

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
This guy needs to shut the fuck up. He made one successful game and he thinks he's Steve Jobs or something. Sony needs to remind him who's paying the bills.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It was available to everybody before some Steam User cried.

BTW the biggest news will come with Sony allowing creation of PSN in all countries and the requirement to PSN back 🔥
It was unplayable in those countries without breaking EULAs, clearly it couldn't remain up. As far as I can tell GoT is mostly playable even without it (only the MP mode is locked behind PSN?) and I would have kept that one available.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I have to say Sony was definitely clueless in these decisions.

I was talking with a friend about this that if none of this happened & Sony offered more incentives like a ingame free outfit and obviously the PS overlay people would sign up much more.

But with the Countries delisting for the Ghost of Tsushima thing, it's just plain out stupid because Ghost at its core is a single player experience and a masterpiece at that and that didn't require PSN, so no need to delist it.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I have to say Sony was definitely clueless in these decisions.

I was talking with a friend about this that if none of this happened & Sony offered more incentives like a ingame free outfit and obviously the PS overlay people would sign up much more.

But with the Countries delisting for the Ghost of Tsushima thing, it's just plain out stupid because Ghost at its core is a single player experience and a masterpiece at that and that didn't require PSN, so no need to delist it.
They had no option at all.

The small part of Steam users main "reason" (because they couldn't use PSN requirement that is legal) was about breaking the TOS in countries that doesn't have PSN and Sony won't implement PSN in more counties from day to night... it requires a lot of time.

What left to Sony?

- Cancel GoT release.
- Release on Steam in the countries they have PSN.
- Break GoT in SP and MP and release separately but that could create even more serious backslashes.

They choose the second.

• Informative

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
They had no option at all.

The small part of Steam users main "reason" (because they couldn't use PSN requirement that is legal) was about breaking the TOS in countries that doesn't have PSN and Sony won't implement PSN in more counties from day to night... it requires a lot of time.

What left to Sony?

- Cancel GoT release.
- Release on Steam in the countries they have PSN.
- Break GoT in SP and MP and release separately but that could create even more serious backslashes.

They choose the second.

It's what happens when one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. Ultimately they have the wrong people in charge of making decisions as it relates to PC, but my guess is not having a real CEO at SIE probably isn't helping this. Totoki probably has no idea what he is doing in this regard, but it is also probably evidence that Eric Lempel and co can't do this on their own.

My guess is you have multiple conflicts

Nixxes team working with the product and services team who would have created the PS Overlay and the PC strategy team.

I'm spitballing, but my guess is they put in place the overlay for Ghost and it obviously require the PSN login and that's probably when they were looking to add the overlay for Helldivers when they realized that Arrowhead had disabled the requirement. So they were like, umm... we have to fix this... and then all hell broke loose.

They had mentioned the requirement but they never enforced it, which is why the game was sold in areas that didn't actually require PSN, because the plan was never to require it in the first place.

All they had to do is say to enable the overlay you have to log into PSN, but they decided to stick with this being unavailable in countries that don't have PSN because they're afraid people will buy the game beat it, ask for a refund because they can't play legends and that steam will oblige them.

Why this is applying to Helldivers despite them walking back the PSN requirements? They're probably trying to get an answer from their legal team working with valve to get a policy in place here as to how refunds will work before making any new changes one way or another, but they should probably just make these pissants happy and relist it in these areas since they wont require psn login. Which is what I assume they'll do by the end of the week.

• Informative