Assassin's Creed: Mirage. Not a bad game, but not great (8/10)

Welcome Iconists!

I've went 100% through the game with all the collectibles and stuff, enjoyed the game fully, but I think the Meta score is pretty fair.

ke3nsjpa9aqa1.jpg

Story:

In its core is extremely good, but the execution/storytelling is really mediocre in most parts. It's like your little brother telling you the story of The Titanic movie vs the actual movie, or this:

As we all know, there is no problem with the core/script of the music, but the execution is laughable. Most of the conversation made were pretty solid, but very bland and outdated and can't match the impact of the cutscenes of MGS1 on PS1 decades back. This really saddens me a lot. For a comparison, Sony made simple stories of GOW, GoT shine insanely because of how polished the storytelling and acting is.

To put it simply, the story is 10/10 while the execution is 5/10, so it's 7.5/10 in total.

Gameplay:

roman-popov-roman-popov-ac-dust-logozott3.jpg

I would say I liked gameplay more than previous ones, but it's extremely basic vs GoT that made simple encounters so satisfying. Overall I enjoyed it and would give it 8/10.

Graphics:

assassins-creed-mirage-concept-art-leak.jpg

As a photographer/filmmaker, I really loved the added "softness" with the chromatic aberration as it took away most of the "digital" flaws of games in general and softens things up. Most gamers bitch about it but I really prefer it and would keep it on like on Spider-man games. To me jaggies, extremely sharp edges are immersion breakers to me. Those effects made it have more filmic qualities with pleasantly softer image. Would say overall, despite the outdated graphics, it should be around 8/10.

Voice acting:

To my surprise, the "Arabic" voice acting is pretty solid, very accurate like 99% (I'm an Arabic teacher). Basim has a much better voice vs English version, and most voice actors had impressive performances that I didn't expect from non-leading language of the game (or is it?).

Overall, I would give this a solid 10/10.

Historical integration:

DoccyDarko-Assassins-Creed-Mirage-History-ofBaghdad-1.jpg

The biggest part of AC games in general, and this one was extremely accurate to the point I was shocked. Tried to find flaws as I've studied the Abbasid and other Muslim empires through the years but I can only appreciate what they've done with this game. Impressive to say the least and if you love history and you're not Arab it's an exotic experience to many. Easy 10/10 where AC always has insane competent historians.

Verdict?

Well, I think people weren't wrong when called it the "Fast Food of Gaming". It could've been one of the most iconic games ever, but they went back to roots totally and never added much more vs older games. It's not bad by any means, but it's not great. I would say 8/10 or even 7.5/10 is pretty fair.

I would recommend it to people that like AC games in general and open world, and love to venture into tricky ways to get to treasures despite most of them are very meaningless when rewarded. Also buy the $50 version, that $60 version is a scam with 1 outfit/sword/dagger that slows time and makes the game easier than it is already.

Last edited:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Why the hell did you have to add the camel video, how am I meant to make jokes about you now, bloody spoilsport.

Nice review but I want more of those 4k Bo screenshots like you did with Volcano high, where are they?

hugs.

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

OP
OP
Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Why the hell did you have to add the camel video, how am I meant to make jokes about you now, bloody spoilsport.

Nice review but I want more of those 4k Bo screenshots like you did with Volcano high, where are they?

hugs.

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Haha! Made only one screenshot. It's not TLOU, GOW, nor GoT. It looks nice overall but not eye-watering like the those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Well Written Review, @Bo_Hazem ❗

Apparently, this game was made for the 15th Anniversary of the Assassin's Creed franchise.

What did you think of the implementation of the Adhan (Call to Prayer) in the game?

I started to become a lot more interested in history, so I may go back & play all the Assassin's Creed games❗

AC Mirage gives me AC1 vibes. And the Adhan was so great although sometimes it can mix up with combat music which the team behind it should know that it's unacceptable but understand that they did their best overall. AC has been a major red pill game until AC Syndicate, the last game to mention the Templars (Illuminatis/free masons) and went to childish "The Order" BS and became a game with no true message. I know that the game has rattled many, especially the AC Syndicate with Churchill and the Queen being beacons of the Illuminatis.

I think that killed the true saga between Assassin's and the Templars and became this BS, fairytale game since AC Origins. AC had some shocking historical information like in AC2 and how in Rome a woman with makeup or without a head scarf is considered a whore back in the 15-16th centuries. Even demonstrated with Ezio's sister running into their burning house just to bring her scarf when attacked by the Templars.

AC to me was one of the most meaningful games, along with Far Cry 2 and MGS series. Most Ubisoft games had some sort of agendas, like The Division being based on the protocol done by Obama of facing a pandemic and how the US and Russia are still keeping smallpox despite numerous calls from WHO to destroy it.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: MiyazakiLovesKojima

MiyazakiLovesKojima

AC Mirage gives me AC1 vibes. And the Adhan was so great although sometimes it can mix up with combat music which the team behind it should know that it's unacceptable but understand that they did their best overall. AC has been a major red pill game until AC Syndicate, the last game to mention the Templars (Illuminatis/free masons) and went to childish "The Order" BS and became a game with no true message. I know that the game has rattled many, especially the AC Syndicate with Churchill and the Queen being beacons of the Illuminatis.

I think that killed the true saga between Assassin's and the Templars and became this BS, fairytale game since AC Origins. AC had some shocking historical information like in AC2 and how in Rome a woman with makeup or without a head scarf is considered a whore back in the 15-16th centuries. Even demonstrated with Ezio's sister running into their burning house just to bring her scarf when attacked by the Templars.

AC to me was one of the most meaningful games, along with Far Cry 2 and MGS series. Most Ubisoft games had some sort of agendas, like The Division being based on the protocol done by Obama of facing a pandemic and how the US and Russia are still keeping smallpox despite numerous calls from WHO to destroy them.
Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

• haha
Reactions: Bo_Hazem
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

AC to me was one of the most meaningful games, along with Far Cry 2 and MGS series. Most Ubisoft games had some sort of agendas, like The Division being based on the protocol done by Obama of facing a pandemic and how the US and Russia are still keeping smallpox despite numerous calls from WHO to destroy it.
I've just replayed the ezio collection & don't remember anything about head scarfs in it

OP
OP
Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I've just replayed the ezio collection & don't remember anything about head scarfs in it

Haha, play again the early mission when you save the sister after Templar's attack + killing his father. 99.99% of people won't notice/remember it. Let me know if my memory failed/confused me because that's what I remember since og AC2.

OP
OP
Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I think it's just noble woman attire I'm not an expert on history though lol

No worries, lol. I tend to read most of the historical stuff in AC games since AC1. That's why I'm a fan of the series despite I can clearly see the flaws. Maybe people a bit harsh but overall every single AC game you can see massive potential yet you feel it's somehow half-baked vs PS Studios and top-tier studios.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
No worries, lol. I tend to read most of the historical stuff in AC games since AC1. That's why I'm a fan of the series despite I can clearly see the flaws. Maybe people a bit harsh but overall every single AC game you can see massive potential yet you feel it's somehow half-baked vs PS Studios and top-tier studios.
I looked up stuff after playing the ezio collection again recently & was surprised that so much was actually based on real history like Caterina Sforza was a real woman who actually lifted up her skirt & shouted that she had the equipment to make more children when hers were kidnapped lol

• haha
Reactions: Bo_Hazem
OP
OP
Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I looked up stuff after playing the ezio collection again recently & was surprised that so much was actually based on real history like Caterina Sforza was a real woman who actually lifted up her skirt & shouted that she had the equipment to make more children when hers were kidnapped lol

Yeah nearly all AC games based on real people with some twists. I love AC games for that, problem is nearly all AC games have legendary trailers but served half-baked, just like when you check the menu in the restaurant.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly