Assassin’s Creed Rift is reportedly set in Baghdad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
K0XwovO.jpeg

That’s according to Bloomberg reporter Jason Schreier, who was responding to a claim made earlier on Wednesday that the next series entry has an Aztec setting.

“The next AC game is Rift, which is set in Baghdad,” he wrote.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Bagdad, why, ffs

No disrespect to any Bagdaddies here, but what a boring fucking setting.

The japan or the Aztec one would have been awesome.

Reactions: Themaskedcrag

Themaskedcrag

Cunning Linguist
13 Jul 2022
Assuming its not just going to be Bagdad, that would feel tiny, after exploring mini countries for the last few games, Egypt, Greece, United Kingdom. It could be Syria, Iraq, and Lebanon, Perhaps even as far down the coast as, Israel, maybe its based in the time of the Crusades! Though good luck making that Non-political! :LOL:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Why are they so afraid to make one in Japan i dont get it assassins creed is perfect for Japan / Open World / Ninja / Assassin
I don't know the reason, but a fun fact: many years ago Yves Guillemot asked the team to make an AC in Japan with samurais and ninjas for years (I mean, many times), but the team always told him "not this time".

I don't know if it's the reason, but what I know is that even if they always make a really huge documentation work, they hate to do stuff that after implemented they realize isn't historically correct (outside a few creative licences they make on purpose because they think are needed to make the game work, like to move some events a few years or to another city to ensure a continuity inside the game), so in relatively recent games they decided to choose settings where there is very little information about that place/region/people/time, so it gives them more creative freedom / flexibility to create their own stuff or interpretation of what happened at that place and time.

So maybe since feudal Japan is so very well documented they are afraid of making many mistakes which could be seen as unrespectful or something like that. But well, who knows.

I have no idea about the setting of the upcoming AC games, but I know that many years ago they were planning to use South American settings for Far Cry and AC in future games. In FC it already happened with Far Cry 6, in AC I don't know if they cancelled that idea or if pushed it back to somewhere in the future.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Hmmm, as they are doing that location, I would of preferred if they did somewhere in Iran and its where the original assassin, hassan sabbah was from. Lots of different types of lanscapes, environments, history and historical issues they can choose from lol. Lots of difference cultures and architecture too. (Im half from there )

But overall Id prefer if they did Japan, Mexico, India before trying something like Iran. I think Id also prefer China above all else, not many stealth games set in China

Reactions: Bo_Hazem
P

peter42O

Looking forward to seeing this but im hoping the gameplay and combat is like Origins/Odyssey because Valhalla was disappointing in this aspect for me to where all I played was the main story lines and that's it. Melee combat felt off, hated the skill tree and stealth was broken as fuck. I know this started as DLC for Valhalla but I really hope this plays more like Origins/Odyssey, both of which I loved.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Looking forward to seeing this but im hoping the gameplay and combat is like Origins/Odyssey because Valhalla was disappointing in this aspect for me to where all I played was the main story lines and that's it. Melee combat felt off, hated the skill tree and stealth was broken as fuck. I know this started as DLC for Valhalla but I really hope this plays more like Origins/Odyssey, both of which I loved.

I was about to say, does everyone like the combat now days, or miss the counter combat they use to have.

P

peter42O

I was about to say, does everyone like the combat now days, or miss the counter combat they use to have.
My favorite AC is Black Flag which uses the old counter combat system but I could never go back to that nowadays. I prefer the more parry/dodge based system even though im not that good parrying. The old combat system was good back then but now, I would see it as simply outdated plus it was way too easy.

Themaskedcrag

Cunning Linguist
13 Jul 2022
I think this will likely be more stealth focused, especially if there going for a smaller, but more dense world, if it is purely set in Bagdad. More of it's return to it's routes.

Last edited:

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
There is enough variation to exploit there from Origins which was based on Egypt. Mesopotamia more or less.

I don't mind it. I still would like to see one based on Africa (not northern Africa aka Origins).

P

peter42O

I think this will likely be more stealth focused, especially if there going for a smaller, but more dense world, if it is purely set in Bagdad. More of it's return to it's routes.
I hope so but at the same time, it's only going to work if the stealth has been fixed. It's been a year since I last played Valhalla so maybe it has been but still, a wait and see for me.

D

Deleted member 13

So Ubisoft just decided to forget about Japan altogether? Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.