Assassin’s Creed Shadows Producer Responds To Backlash Over Yasuke

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
76fa78cc76b7538546189a12d1bf9ed3.jpg

When Ubisoft unveiled Assassin’s Creed Shadows in May, there was backlash directed at the inclusion of Yasuke, the game’s Black samurai co-lead and real-world historical figure. Some argued that the reaction was simply over a matter of what they saw as historical inaccuracy, as they repeated that the real Yasuke was not a true samurai. Others who joined in the backlash made no effort to hide that they were just racists upset at the idea of a Black man starring in a game set in feudal Japan. Ubisoft producer Marc-Alexis Côté talked with Game File about the backlash, and how Yasuke fits into Assassin’s Creed’s historical fiction.

In the interview, Côté recalls how Twitter owner Elon Musk responded to claims that Assassin’s Creed Shadows was some kind of woke mind virus diversity product by saying “DEI kills art.” Côté did not take the claim well.

“That tweet generated emotions, that…the first thing I wanted to do was go back on X—that I had deleted—and just tweet back,” he told Game File. “And I just took a step back. I have a mindfulness app on my phone. And I did a bit of mindfulness to try to explore the emotions that this tweet created. For me, Elon, it’s sad, he’s just feeding hatred. I had a lot of three-word replies that came to mind.”
Côté opted not to respond, explaining to Game File that replying to someone like Musk

“will not convince people about [Ubisoft’s] point of view as a team.” Instead, he states here that Yasuke is “very, very grounded in the history of the franchise and how we make our choices.”
via Kotaku

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Link for the reasonable people who refuse to give a hit to fckin' kotaku:

Others who joined in the backlash made no effort to hide that they were just racists upset at the idea of a Black man starring in a game set in feudal Japan.

There it is, the racist shield from the dishonest creeps. (note: not @John Elden Ring , he's just quoting)

Where were those "who joined in the backlash" when Ubisoft launched Assassin's Creed Liberation? And where were those when Ubisoft launched Assassin's Creed Origins?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Preemptively damage controlling for the inevitable under performance. He can’t blame Trump so Elon is the next best boogey man and of course he’s not man enough to call out gamers because it’s be suicide for his company. Insane they thought there wouldn’t be any backlash to putting a black man massacring Japanese people in the trailers.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
He’s right in the sense that Assassin’s Creed has about as much in common with history as Legends of the Hidden Temple does, but so does actual Japanese media. They fill their games with tons of inaccuracies for the sake of making the end product cool. Samurai didn’t actually fight ghosts, retard. It’s in the game because it works for whatever action slop you’re throwing together, and hey, I’m fine with that.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
They should have honoured Japanese, not some tenuous blow in. That’s the insult, all other ac games featured local protags.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Preemptively damage controlling for the inevitable under performance. He can’t blame Trump so Elon is the next best boogey man and of course he’s not man enough to call out gamers because it’s be suicide for his company. Insane they thought there wouldn’t be any backlash to putting a black man massacring Japanese people in the trailers.
Quoting here for when this game sells like hot cakes and the little snowflakes are all eating crow.