Astro Bot is ‘very, very important’ as an IP for PlayStation, says boss Hermen Hulst

24 Jun 2022
Bro went to from 0 to 100 over nothing. I never thought I'd see the day someone would cheer for Astro of all games to be a flop (which it isn't) .. so weird

This game will obviously be a good seller for them this holiday

It's a good seller right now. The problem is we have all these markets where the game's being sold, but we only get sales data from two people: Chris Dring and Mat Piscatella.

So even if they're just reporting what they see in their respective markets, the fact those are just two markets out of hundreds means what they report is never a proper representation of a game's performance in the global market. Even aside that, people are always going to have their tendencies and way they look at things: some of that is simply subconscious-level and naturally comes through in whatever they talk about or however they talk about it.

Note I'm not insinuating anything WRT console-warring or platform bias from those two; I just mean more general things. Like you know how Planet Smasher on Reset never seems happy about anything they talk about? Yeah it's more those kind of general tendencies.

doubt it with reports dropping it only sold 1/3 of what rift aparts pre-orders did this game bomb and i FULLY EXPECT SONY TO MOVE AWAY FROM THIS IP AS WELL.

If this is going to be your mentality then your contribution & value to gaming discussion is completely worthless. I doubt you barely play any games (and don't answer-I'm not interested to hear how little).

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
get that Concord negative magnet off me

Spying I Hear You GIF by NOW WE'RE TALKING TV SERIES

I will make sure people remember

• haha
Reactions: Kokoloko and Danja

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
FFS, we can't get a feel-good thread about a fun new IP without somebody bringing up sales numbers and then the resident Sony Ponies sperging out.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Nice to hear this.

I'm also happy to see that Hermen did cancel the mobile games that Japan Studio were developing before the restructuring and did greenlight this game to put them work here instead.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
It looks like Astro Bot isn't the way forward for PlayStation like Jason Schreier suggested.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Hilarious how this game is getting familiar treatment to Rebirth. Incredible reviews, critic and fans alike, so of course it's time we doom about the sales and paint a narrative of it being a flop.

This game is going to sell very steadily through the generation, its evergreen.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I see senjutsu sage jr. came to the forum lol, what a sad sack. Say hi to adamsapple from the ban list lmaoo

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It looks like Astro Bot isn't the way forward for PlayStation like Jason Schreier suggested.
Yes, Jason Schreier said Sony was going to focus on a few top selling blockbuster IPs some time after Hermen had greenlighted Astro Bot, they had more thand two dozen games (more than ever) under development, around half of them being new IPs, and when they recently had started PlayStation Indies and China Hero Project.

As usual he was lying with fud in a hit piece anti-Sony article, as usual in Bloomberg.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
A prime example of when the education system fails one

Astro is top 1 in the PSN Store and Amazon for UK (and most if not all the main PS countries). Also remember that last quarter 80% of the game sales for PS.

So even if UK retail sales may not be great (I assume they are the best ones for any Japan Studio game), they must be great when counting both digital and retail worldwide.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Astro is top 1 in the PSN Store and Amazon for UK (and most if not all the main PS countries). Also remember that last quarter 80% of the game sales for PS.

So even if UK retail sales may not be great (I assume they are the best ones for any Japan Studio game), they must be great when counting both digital and retail worldwide.

The game exploded in sales pretty much Thursday into Friday. It exploded on PSN too, even I jjst bought it Friday evening instead of pre-ordering. I think digital will have a decent slice of the Pie with this game given the lack of hype build up and sudden explosion of hype on review day, many probably just went to PSN.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The game exploded in sales pretty much Thursday into Friday. It exploded on PSN too, even I jjst bought it Friday evening instead of pre-ordering. I think digital will have a decent slice of the Pie with this game given the lack of hype build up and sudden explosion of hype on review day, many probably just went to PSN.
I think that at launch the % of digital copies will be higher than usual because of being a "smaller" game.

But in a longer term I think that in the holidays season -as happens with Nintendo and kid friendly games in general- the percentage of physical sales will be higher than usual because of Christmas presents.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Are they about to ban you for your reader rabbit level 1 thread backfire on GAF? This isn't a shelter.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Hilarious how this game is getting familiar treatment to Rebirth. Incredible reviews, critic and fans alike, so of course it's time we doom about the sales and paint a narrative of it being a flop.

This game is going to sell very steadily through the generation, its evergreen.
No one's painting it as a flop. We're merely bringing expectations down to reasonable levels.

Some people are REALLY influenced by FOMO hype marketing during the honeymoon period. It's really fascinating, though sad, to see.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think it is the first true PlayStation’s mascot.

Crash was always 3rd-party so it was never a true mascot but now PlayStation has it own.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
No one's painting it as a flop. We're merely bringing expectations down to reasonable levels.

Some people are REALLY influenced by FOMO hype marketing during the honeymoon period. It's really fascinating, though sad, to see.
Some people are really influenced by an aberration of a genre in the gaming space, with a 1 in 10 success rate, to the point where they've hinged their entire identity on that genre's continued success.