"Atreus is a Terrible Character", Says David Jaffe, God of War Creator

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
widen_920x0.jpg

During a recent interview with Days Gone director John Garvin, David Jaffe, the legendary game designer and creator of the God of War series, shared his opinion on Atreus, Kratos' son from the new God of War games, describing the boy as a "terrible character."

Discussing how characters evolve throughout a story and the drastic changes Santa Monica made to Kratos' character in the new games – transforming him from Rage Incarnate into a concerned, aging father – Jaffe explained that he considers Atreus to be a "terrible character" from both visual and gameplay perspectives.

According to the developer, he does actually like the character's function as Kratos' son, but at the same time, he believes that all the potential Atreus had by the end of the 2018 God of War was wasted in Ragnarök.

"That guy needed to be set up by the end of Ragnarök or the middle of Ragnarök to be like, 'F*ck, that dude is cool, I wanna be that guy!' And Ragnarök didn't give us that,"

Commented Jaffe.

Source

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I really didn't like where the story of Ragnarok ended up, I was completely hyped for what was to come by the end of the 2018 game, now I'm like "whatever".

It also felt like they set up a lot of things for no payoff at all, you spend 50+ going in one direction and then a twist happens and it's solved in a few hours at most by you fighting with an old dude. To me it becomes obvious that the devs lost interest in the IP as time passed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Ico

8 May 2024
he is fine as a NON-PLAYABLE main character, in a way that adds to kratos story
but god the main reason i dont want to replay ragnarok is his obligatory playable levels, i hope they dont make a game where he is a solo protagonist bc is not that interesting to carry the whole experience

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
widen_920x0.jpg

During a recent interview with Days Gone director John Garvin, David Jaffe, the legendary game designer and creator of the God of War series, shared his opinion on Atreus, Kratos' son from the new God of War games, describing the boy as a "terrible character."

Discussing how characters evolve throughout a story and the drastic changes Santa Monica made to Kratos' character in the new games – transforming him from Rage Incarnate into a concerned, aging father – Jaffe explained that he considers Atreus to be a "terrible character" from both visual and gameplay perspectives.

According to the developer, he does actually like the character's function as Kratos' son, but at the same time, he believes that all the potential Atreus had by the end of the 2018 God of War was wasted in Ragnarök.

Commented Jaffe.

Source
Jaffe is bitter and jealous. No critique he makes about how or gowr is credible. He is a footnote in gow history and others are reaping the success and fame from gow and he can't handle that.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Jaffe right for once OMG, Atreus is the Aloy of God of War- There should be a mandatory spanking level where Kratos goes to town on the little shit
He's a genuinely horrible character. Bro was trying to "save" KRATOS of all people, lil bro do you recognize who your father is? He needs zero help for anything, ever.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
These days I disagree with like 90% of what David Jaffe says, but this goes to the remaining 10%.

Atreus /
Loki
is set up at the end of Ragnarok as what should be an interesting character that would stand by its own in a future sequel or spin-off.
In reality he doesn't look like he'll hold his own at any time, probably because he still looks, talks and acts a bit like a child at the end of Ragnarok.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Jaffe is bitter and jealous. No critique he makes about how or gowr is credible. He is a footnote in gow history and others are reaping the success and fame from gow and he can't handle that.
All he does is tear down iconic gaming developers who have done better than him. He trash konima, Neil, shit on other ps first party games. Constantly takes shots at ps. He said for yrs ps could compete against Xbox and gamepass. He said ps had to go day and date on pc and day 1 in psplus or Xbox would win this gen. How did that turn out? It’s time ppl just started ignoring jaffe. He isn’t the creator he once was. He has few friends left at ps and there is no value in anything he says about the current state of ps.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
widen_920x0.jpg

Commented Jaffe.

Source
I agree, Atreus sucks. In these two games he should have evolved from a whiny kid to a badass jacked angry motherfucker like his father.

I think that to pussyfy Kratos was nice like wanting to leave his past behind and create a new family, but I think they should have reignited his rage at the end of the game to revenge the death of Atreus or his nordic wife or something like that.

I think they also missed an opportunity to feature some great Atreus gameplay mechanics related to shapeshifting skills that his mythological character is supposed to have.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Jaffe is a salty old man, who's still pissed Sony left him behind. Seriously, Go look at his meltdown when Sony didn't bring him back for GOW 2018.

Not a fan of Atreus, though.

Reactions: voke

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
he is just a little chicken shit. can't imagine, how they can make him into the man in the next game.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
TBH he could of been so much worse and was fine.
People claiming you play as him for half the game, which isnt true.
He isnt the greatest character ever made but he didnt bother me and served the purpose well, voice actor was good too.

Reactions: mibu no ookami

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I agree, Atreus sucks. In these two games he should have evolved from a whiny kid to a badass jacked angry motherfucker like his father.

I think that to pussyfy Kratos was nice like wanting to leave his past behind and create a new family, but I think they should have reignited his rage at the end of the game to revenge the death of Atreus or his nordic wife or something like that.

I think they also missed an opportunity to feature some great Atreus gameplay mechanics related to shapeshifting skills that his mythological character is supposed to have.
I dont think he sucked but i agree with the rest. TBH Im just happy Santa Monica didnt kill off Kratos in the end for Atreus to be the new God of War. I enjoyed the game but it could of been a bit better with the Thor and Odin battles.

My biggest problem with the game was Odin’s dialogue, he spoke like an american instead of Norse God. Compared to Zues it sucked

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I dont think he sucked but i agree with the rest. TBH Im just happy Santa Monica didnt kill off Kratos in the end for Atreus to be the new God of War. I enjoyed the game but it could of been a bit better with the Thor and Odin battles.

My biggest problem with the game was Odin’s dialogue, he spoke like an american instead of Norse God. Compared to Zues it sucked
Yes, I'm happy they didn't kill or replace Kratos. I think Sony should be more respectful with their iconic protagonists and to keep betting on them instead of kill or replace the white heterosexual male ones to introduce more woke friendly characters instead.

I mean, like Nintendo does they can give Peach or the princess Zelda their own games, as spinoff series to chase these other audiences, but the main ones should continue with the main iconic protagonist.

I mean, same would go with Metroid: Samus should continue as the main character, I find it wouldn't be ok to replace it with someone else, as could be a man because of someone's dumb ideology in that case hating women instead of hating white/heterosexual/males.

Last edited:
  • Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Jaffe was a legend in his own time but reduced in status to that of a pod caster now, no need to take his 2000s glory from him.