"Atreus is a Terrible Character", Says David Jaffe, God of War Creator

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Nah

Same. I like him a lot and kids are also massive arrogant shit heads but they do an excellent job of showing his growth and making his character endearing by the end of Raggies.
His mistakes are the same that a normal child do against their fathers… he was impulsive, inconsequential and act the opposite of his father told him to do lol

Aka a normal teenager.

But I understand that most people don’t like teenagers after pass that phase… hell we don’t like even what we were as teenagers… if I even find a teenager like I was I should hate to core 😂😂😂

So yes Atreus was great character wise.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I absolutely hated every moment Atreus was onscreen in Ragnarok. His stages were easily the worst parts of the game . If they pushed more of that junk it could’ve legit soured the entire game. Boy was fine in the first game.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Atreus is fine in gow but terrible in ragnarok.
Nobody wants to play as him and you just feel in the air how gay he is with angrboda scenes. They just never say it

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Sour grapes.

Of course Jaffe would say that.

Atreus is still a developing character and the games show that.

Complements Kratos perfectly and will only grow as a character.

The issue isn’t his character. It’s the shit gameplay sections he got in Ragnarok. Would have been better not having any.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
His mistakes are the same that a normal child do against their fathers… he was impulsive, inconsequential and act the opposite of his father told him to do lol

Aka a normal teenager.

But I understand that most people don’t like teenagers after pass that phase… hell we don’t like even what we were as teenagers… if I even find a teenager like I was I should hate to core 😂😂😂

So yes Atreus was great character wise.

Ironically the people who hate Atreus the most are the people who have grown the least from kids to adults.

The idea that he needed to grow into what his father was in the original god of war games is laughable and also highlights people's lack of maturity.

Most people grow up and want to be better parents than their parents were to them and want their children to be better people than they were. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone has to like that, but objectively the games sell significantly better now than they ever did before, with both God of War 2018 and Ragnarok outselling all the original God of Wars games combined (individually).

I will say that the long gameplay loop of Atreus with Angroboda wasn't well designed and certainly didn't help him, but his other gameplay loops were fine and him not being there to break up the gameplay style would have made the game less than.

It's why the developers do this. Same with MJ and Miles in Marvel's Spider-Man and less effectively in games where both protagonists have essentially the same abilities like in TLOUP2, Rift Apart, Spider-Man 2.

But I also think that people are angry because Atreus appears to be a white male, but not fitting in the style of which many gamers want from a white male in game, so it adds to the idea of replacement that was mentioned earlier in this thread, ignoring entirely games like Death Stranding. The fight for representation in gaming is mildly amusing given that those who say representation don't matter are so angry with feeling less represented than they feel they should be.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Most people grow up and want to be better parents than their parents were to them and want their children to be better people than they were.
Dude its not that serious, people want to play angry god killing muscular dude going ape shit, get help if you think video games should influence or teach about parenting.
But I also think that people are angry because Atreus appears to be a white male, but not fitting in the style of which many gamers want from a white male in game, so it adds to the idea of replacement that was mentioned earlier in this thread, ignoring entirely games like Death Stranding
This has got to be the dumbest take ever on Icon Era, Mods award this guy something.... anything for this galaxy level stretch, People hate atreus because they want to play the god of war in a god of war game genius.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Dude its not that serious, people want to play angry god killing muscular dude going ape shit, get help if you think video games should influence or teach about parenting.

This has got to be the dumbest take ever on Icon Era, Mods award this guy something.... anything for this galaxy level stretch, People hate atreus because they want to play the god of war in a god of war game genius.

If you're right, can you explain why both games individually sold better than the entire first three combined?

Yeah, the hate for Atreus has nothing to do with people who in this very thread, let alone across the internet are complaining about the lack of white male lead characters in Sony games and that Atreus who very much appears to be such a character, they're adamantly against getting a spinoff, which wouldn't be a main series God of War game.

The games matured in storytelling and that connected with more people. That doesn't erase the old games. They are still there. You can play them right now if you want, but instead we have people complaining about a secondary character in yet another David Jaffe post because he feels erased and minimized by the success of the recent games that resonate with way more people.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Atreus isn't really a good or bad character to me, but it's obvious that he exists purely to be a vehicle of growth for Kratos, nothing else. Without Atreus, Kratos never becomes patient and wise. So for that reason alone, he's fine by me. And for the ones calling him annoying, that's exactly how teenagers behave 😂 they're cringe and annoying but they grow up to be better people. He had his awful moments but by the end of Ragnarok, Atreus was a stand up guy.

But that Ironwood section has to be the WORST segment of a game I've ever played. It's the reason why I don't want to replay Ragnarok for a 4th time. It made no sense for that crap to last longer than the actual Ragnarok event....

P.S. Jaffe is trash

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Atreus isn't really a good or bad character to me, but it's obvious that he exists purely to be a vehicle of growth for Kratos, nothing else. Without Atreus, Kratos never becomes patient and wise. So for that reason alone, he's fine by me. And for the ones calling him annoying, that's exactly how teenagers behave 😂 they're cringe and annoying but they grow up to be better people. He had his awful moments but by the end of Ragnarok, Atreus was a stand up guy.

But that Ironwood section has to be the WORST segment of a game I've ever played. It's the reason why I don't want to replay Ragnarok for a 4th time. It made no sense for that crap to last longer than the actual Ragnarok event....

P.S. Jaffe is trash

The only explanation to that Ironwood section is they made the decision to finish the Norse saga in this game during the middle of development.

The Norse Saga was meant to be a trilogy. It’s so obvious playing Ragnarok.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

P.S. Jaffe is trash
That's right, you put your foot down.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
The only explanation to that Ironwood section is they made the decision to finish the Norse saga in this game during the middle of development.

The Norse Saga was meant to be a trilogy. It’s so obvious playing Ragnarok.
I wish it was a trilogy, it has some of amazing characters but they barely got any screen time. GoW 2018 was mostly dedicated to Baldur and then Ragnarok split Heimdall, Thor, and Odin all in 1 game and we didn't get to see as much of them as we should've. And Tyr was completely relegated to the dlc.

That's right, you put your foot down.
??

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Sour grapes.

Of course Jaffe would say that.

Atreus is still a developing character and the games show that.

Complements Kratos perfectly and will only grow as a character.

The issue isn’t his character. It’s the shit gameplay sections he got in Ragnarok. Would have been better not having any.
He is Bad character if he is still developing after 2 huge games.
But yes. His gameplay is biggest issue

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
If you look at what I had bolded, it just struck me as funny that you thought a section of a game was so incredibly bad you couldn't play it for a fourth time. Like ... yeah that's really showing them.

Like I said, just thought it was funny. :p

(btw, I kinda agree, I actually really disliked all the Atreus segments, but that was the worst one)

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer