Axios: Xbox plan around buying Activision is to put PlayStation out of business

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Murder goes from 2nd degree to 1st degree due to premeditation right? Pretty sure this being 2019 makes it worse. They conceived of an illegal plan to monopolize the industry and then they pursued it as a business strategy, as opposed to picking up Bethesda and Activision as heat-of-the-moment crimes.
Okay, I don't think comparing this to murder is appropriate, but yes, my point is that the premeditation still stands.

Reactions: Bryank75

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
It doesn’t matter if the mail is from 2019 or even earlier. The intention is still alive, what else should a company spend $70B for?
This is Microsoft true identity: destroying the competition one by one. Microsoft was never on peace, they only want to control everything. Microsoft is shady.

Course. I'm not trying to debunk anything. Just sharing the lastest update.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Sony is foolish to not recognize MS/Xbox as an existential threat to them. If they don't have the money to back PlayStation up they need to find a partner that does.
Current Sony is dumb and soft but they aren't this dumb as yet. They know they are a threat but both companies aren't operated the same. Sony doesn't act out of grudge and spite but clean competition. They could have ended Xbox from 2014 but they are very passive.

If they were to partner with a company it should be Apple.

Last edited:

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The email being from 2019 strengthens its credibility. People can't say that Matt Booty was just joking around with the CFO (as if). This was him laying out the goal Microsoft pursued with acquisitions of Zenimax and ABK before the execs had any reason to be wary of hiding their intentions from regulators. Buy publishers, remove games from PlayStation, reduce PlayStation userbase etc.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Current is dumb and soft but they aren't this dumb as yet. They know they are a threat but both companies aren't operated the same. Sony doesn't act out of grudge and spite but clean competition. They could have ended Xbox from 2014 but they are very passive.

If they were to partner with a company it should be Apple.
They should've killed Xbox the first opportunity they had.

I get them not doing much right now while this unfolds but as soon as it's over one way or the other, the glove should be off.

Xbox is petty and zeroed in on Sony, you can see that on those weird embargo to pretend game shown on their show were not releasing on PlayStation. Xbox is willing to bleed billions of dollars in an attempt to replace PlayStation, what does that say about the value of PlayStation? Sony needs to go all in on PlayStation, 2013~2016 style.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Aye, as of now any Microsoft products are banned from my household, including the garbage spyware operating system called Windows.

The thing about MS that really bothers me is that they have their tentacles everywhere.

If you want to boycott Apple you can go your entire life without consuming one of their services or products. That's why they don't bother me at all.

Doing the same with MS is next to impossible, your work is likely to require that use one of their products if not many (that's certainly the case if you are a developer like me), so does school and college a lot of the time. A lot of the times this happens due to a history of corruption and bribery as well.
Sadly I just read an article that says Microsoft will be making 48 billions per year with AI and later 99 billions per year. AI will be everywhere soon so it's just impossible to boycott MS.

I don't even know why they bother with gaming. Just to destroy it?

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Everybody possible should be ON the relevant people......

Messaging this shit to Phil Spencer and all the media that supported this deal.

The European Commission should be spammed along with Magarethe Vestiger, who obviously didn't do her job right. When the real intention is revealed and you couldn't read the tea leaves even though you're supposedly an expert.... then you should not be working there.

Oh don't worry, I plan to. I have no issue getting in their comments feed and pointing stuff like this out to them. I try to keep it respectful and wait until they post about something they want to boast about, though. If you do it everyday on every single post it's going to look like spam & harassment.

And to the people saying "Well duh all competitors want this!". NO! There is a major difference between Sony & Microsoft here. Sony might want Microsoft out of gaming as a direct competitor, but they're trying to do that by offering the best console possible to gaming customers who then buy it in larger amounts than rivals, by making great 1P software and doing deals with 3P devs/pubs that are clearly within the rights of fair competition.

Microsoft wants to push Sony out by buying up the largest 3P publishers and IP, controlling the supply and cutting their direct competitor (Sony) off from access to that supply completely. And by access, I mean in ways their direct competitor can actually work independently with those 3P devs and pubs.

Guess I'll make a drug dealer analogy here: MS wants to buy up all the Columbian cocaine suppliers (the 3P devs & pubs), sell their product through their own turfs and turfs of competitors (direct competitor console platforms, storefronts, services etc.), and get the majority of the money from all of those sales. Meanwhile, preventing the other dealers (direct competitors) from having direct access to any of the Columbian connects (3P publishers).

This analogy is brought to you by Grand Theft Auto™.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sadly I just read an article that says Microsoft will be making 48 billions per year with AI and later 99 billions per year. AI will be everywhere soon so it's just impossible to boycott MS.
Well, humanity had a somewhat nice run.

I don't even know why they bother with gaming. Just to destroy it?
They just get off on making people miserable with their shitty boring software.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
You are well aware of my view, and my stance and this deal.
Others should pay more attention before reacting so irrationally.
Yes, pretty much all of us know you never asked for any of this.

@riesgoyfortuna: we know ill intended posters have been trying to come in here to troll and spam propaganda, but that is no reason to get paranoid and suspect people that you should know better than that.

Let us move on.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
They should've killed Xbox the first opportunity they had.

I get them not doing much right now while this unfolds but as soon as it's over one way or the other, the glove should be off.

Xbox is petty and zeroed in on Sony, you can see that on those weird embargo to pretend game shown on their show were not releasing on PlayStation. Xbox is willing to bleed billions of dollars in an attempt to replace PlayStation, what does that say about the value of PlayStation? Sony needs to go all in on PlayStation, 2013~2016 style.
It's crazy this could have all ended in Fall 2014 had Sony not been so cheap. Xbox did a whole last ditch fire sale with the Assassin's Creed Xbox One bundle severely under cutting PS4 and clawing back US / UK market share for 3 months straight. By the end they were 200k away from overtaking PS4 in North America.

I remember Aaron Greenburg on Twitter gloating Black Friday they destroyed the PS4 and posting a pic of a store with Stacks of PS4 unsold while every Xbox was gone.

Had Sony matched them at the same price with the Superior GTA V bundle it would have been Game Over.

Microsoft was threatening to killing the hardware branch and telling them to get Halo: Master Chief Collection as an option for PS4.

Sony is going all in on Playstation but not in the way we want. They see their IP properties as the next way to milk the brand into movies and TV.

They want the Fortnite money but from their own GaaS. I doubt they'll ever get the full financial resources to truly get back to 2013 - 2016 Levels.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Matt Booty the gift that keeps on giving clapping in the streets

Fixed it for 'ya 😉

Wait a minute...So we know what's in the mail, who sent it,MS has not denied it and even commmented that it was an internal document that the court shouldn't have had which basicaly confirms its authenticity and Tom Warren : Bullshit!....If you are paid at least say it like evey streamer/influencer.

I'm curious to see what Destin's spin on this revelation is going to be.