Baldur Gate 3 'Isn't Going to be on Game Pass', Insists Larian Boss; "We made a big game. Updated Baldur's Gate 3 Developers Explain Its Controversial

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Baldur's Gate 3 is now available on Xbox, but don't expect it on Game Pass anytime soon. Speaking with IGN in an interview soon to be published in full, Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke explained why the award-winning role-playing game won't be part of Xbox's subscription service.

"Oh, we always said from the get-go, it wasn't going to be on Game Pass, it's not going to be on Game Pass," Vincke said when asked whether Xbox had tried to pay the studio to put Baldur's Gate 3 on the service.

Describing it as a "sensitive question," Vincke pointed out that Larian Studios is in the business of "making a game that has a beginning, middle, and an end." He also touted Baldur's Gate 3's lack of microtransactions, which has been praised in some quarters.

"We made a big game, so I think there's a fair price to be paid for that, and I think that that is okay. We don't charge you any micro-transactions on top of it, so you get what you pay for. Upfront it's a big meaty game. So I think that should be able to exist as it is. This is what allows us to continue making other games," Vincke says.

Baldur's Gate 3 Developers Explain Its Controversial Endings, Beloved Characters, and Making the Best RPG of 2023​

Last edited by a moderator:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
boom smile GIF

• thisistheway
Reactions: Doncortez77

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
It's great to see that Larian values their hard work. What did Microsoft call this game again?

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
Wait, what? He wants to get paid appropriately for a well produced and already criticially acclaimed product? And dosen't want it put in the "bargain bin" at launch. Smh

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Fucking hell, you really downplay any MS criticism. Showing a pattern there.
He's somewhat right though, if anything its weird that a game that spend so long "existing" in early access blew up so much upon its "true" release. I can't think of a single other game that performed as such.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
He's somewhat right though, if anything its weird that a game that spend so long "existing" in early access blew up so much upon its "true" release. I can't think of a single other game that performed as such.
if you followed the pc community at all you knew it had big potential to blow up massively though. it's one of the most beloved old school pc game franchises, and when they showed the opening cinematic before early access a lot of people got really excited because it was finally going to be a pc-based modern AAA game with amazing graphics. but a lot of people on pc are burned by early access so the hype died down while EA was going on. If Microsoft had done even a modicum of research they should have known that an offer of $5m was downright disrespectful.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
if you followed the pc community at all you knew it had big potential to blow up massively though. it's one of the most beloved old school pc game franchises, and when they showed the opening cinematic before early access a lot of people got really excited because it was finally going to be a pc-based modern AAA game with amazing graphics. but a lot of people on pc are burned by early access so the hype died down while EA was going on. If Microsoft had done even a modicum of research they should have known that an offer of $5m was downright disrespectful.
I tried to play DOS2 on Switch and gave up after 2 hours. Possibly my fault.