Baldur's gate 3 Release Date is moving foward from August 31 to August 3. Playstation version delayed.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Edit Confirmed

Baldur’s Gate 3 Is Coming To PC Early To Avoid Games Like Starfield, Cyberpunk DLC​

Baldur's Gate 3 is doing a reverse delay from August 31 to August 3.

The game is being delayed on Playstation 5:

86xz5xc33z8b1.png

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'm quite excited about this game but I think I will keep it as a Christmas game, where I can sit down and just play for a few hours and rekindle that nostalgia when I used to be able to do that.

Anyone else getting this?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I'm quite excited about this game but I think I will keep it as a Christmas game, where I can sit down and just play for a few hours and rekindle that nostalgia when I used to be able to do that.

Anyone else getting this?

I would like to play it … however… the alarm is going off on this being a Ps Plus Essential and Extra drop. I have a heavy enough backlog to wait it out to be honest.

It’s nice to know they delayed with the intent of 60fps being available day one. Unliked Redfall where Arkane promised a performance patch at some point that will never happen.

I get pc jank vibes from this and I have fond memories of Dark Alliance on Xbox so I’m kinda interested. I would have to try one of Larian’s recent releases and I might if they’re on the ps extra… I’ll go browse

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They seem to have offices in many places, they have one in Dublin I believe!

I'm excited to play such a big game.
Yep, Larian has offices in Barcelona, Dublin, Gent, Guildford, Kuala Lumpur and Quebec.

Just saw that one of these friends I met is the head of their Barcelona studio. A cool, very talented guy. Before being acquired his studio (Blitworks) did an amazing job with a lot of awesome ports of great games, like many gems as Super Meat Boy, Fez, Spelunky, Olli Olli, Fight 'n Rage, Bastion, Axiom Verge, Jet Set Radio or Streets of Rage 4 to name a few of them. Particularly I love they did porting many of these games to PS Vita.

And well, they also developed Spelunky 2 themselves before selling their inhouse game development part to Larian and hiring more experienced and talented devs (they continue having the Blitworks brand as now a separate team, for externally developed indie games publishing and porting).

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Interesting that this coincides with reports that Microsoft engineers are helping with the Series S version. MS doing everything possible to undermine playstation marketing.

I actually think this might be more so to have a PlayStation console exclusive out there to take away some of Starfield's thunder. Starfield releases on the same day 😁.

Sony & Larian looking to put the squeeze on Microsoft/Bethesda. Though that said, the dates now being the same for both games is more a funny coincidence.

Chances are the delay might have to do with Larian working with Microsoft to get the bastard child known as Series S running the game at an acceptable level, so Larian's optimization team is being spread. Judge Corley should be looking at things like this to see where the FTC and Sony's arguments/testimonies have foundations of truth in, because now PlayStation customers are being negatively impacted by bottlenecks on Microsoft's side.

That isn't very pro-consumer, that the Series S has so many needs for optimizing decent version of games that it can cause delays of those games on other platforms that customers might've taken time off work to play on the original release date, or delaying them receiving the product they've paid money for. These types of things hurt consumers, and that's with a game whose dev MS doesn't even own.

Now imagine the optics and impacts if MS owned Larian and this were happening. "Pro-consumer", but only for Microsoft's consumers. So do we say that's fair or not? If it is then Sony doing 3P exclusivity deals should also be considered fair. If it's not, then MS shouldn't be allowed to acquire devs & pubs making multiplatform games. If they make those games all exclusive, then we're back at square one and 3P exclusivity deals by companies like Sony should be perfectly fine, since at least in those cases the 3P isn't being taken off the market as an independent entity.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Bro this game...

• More dialogue than three times all three Lord of the Rings books combined, the script for Baldur’s Gate 3 contains over 2 million words
Canadian Wow GIF by DJ Khaled

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Bro this game...

• More dialogue than three times all three Lord of the Rings books combined, the script for Baldur’s Gate 3 contains over 2 million words
Canadian Wow GIF by DJ Khaled
Imo there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" and this is sounding like it crossed the line by a country mile

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Imo there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" and this is sounding like it crossed the line by a country mile
FF16 was just criticized because of too many cutscenes and I don't think any of them were longer than 5 minutes.

Standing there reading dialogue for hours is just as bad imo.

I preordered early access BG3 on a russian website years ago so I got it for extremely cheap. I'm glad it's PS5 exclusive at launch however.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
FF16 was just criticized because of too many cutscenes and I don't think any of them were longer than 5 minutes.

Standing there reading dialogue for hours is just as bad imo.

I preordered early access BG3 on a russian website years ago so I got it for extremely cheap. I'm glad it's PS5 exclusive at launch however.
Some are over that and longer but who cares?
It should depend how well it is made and how it is presented, acted etc..

I prefer cutscenes, it pushes things forward, involves emotions etc..

Or you can read wall of text, such innovation. Or how about no story at all.. 10/10

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
PC first in 2023?

Will "wait" till discounted by $10 least on PS5.

"Wait" and prime console (PS5) are not synonyms.

Smelling like the obvious - PC being main dev platform and console ports may be problematic due to bugs. Thus, cash in on a good PC release and press, then release a turd port on consoles in the best shape possible that the release schedule allows since October is a minefield. That way you avoid the Cyberpunk scenario where all platform releases got sales damaged by the negative reception of the poor console ports. A mirror of what console first devs do with PC ports (delayed or otherwise).

These PC devs need to get the memo. There is no way to slice this. The prime console platform (PS5) comes first.... all other platforms eat second. They're releasing on a packed year too lmao. If you want to eat like the big guys you may want to behave and plan accordingly like the big guys do - that means getting your priorities correctly. Premium gaming = consoles.

More to the little rant. I will never understand what goes on these devs heads that decide to release first and best on PC. Just look at Final Fantasy XVI. 3 million in less than week. A Sony partnership can literally make your game. You get the platform aligned privileged press, access to engineers to ensure quality and create an overall better product etc. Valve ain't never gonna do that, nor will Nvidia. And these suckers do it for free. Even mid games with controversial reception like Forspoken or Godfall do well in lifetime sales.

There are exceptions depending on genre's like strategy games, sims and indies whose audience or small size and dev cost contraints limit their room for maneuver but for the majority of other genres? What are you smoking?

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Larian delaying the game to get 60fps stable and functional at launch is an excellent move. Especially considering how FF16’s performance mode is garbage or how Arkane straight up lied about promising one for Redfail.

And the logic for PC release moving up is sound. Stay out of Starfield’s way. I don’t see the issue. They don’t need to delay pc version for performance reasons… there is no optimization needed; that’s a pc gamer’s problem … and that’s where the main demographic for this game is expected to be.

Starfield is not on PS5 so it’s fine for them to present an alternative of some kind for those who want it. It’s definitely an opportunity for them to take a swing and build their brand.

Reactions: Airbus

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Mistake #1 is assuming a delay = fix to any and all potential issues foreseen. How many games get delayed and still release like trash? It's like assuming a delayed PC port of a console first game = best version in the end. There are memes for this. What can be said conclusively about port delays is that the platform receiving the delay is not the main target platform. Accordingly, hardcore consumers of said platform should make buying decisions wisely based on that fact. The PC crowd has certainly adjusted to that reality, as it happens to them the most (Master Waiters Race)... waiting for massive discounts before jumping.

Delay is always an assumption of improvement due to x time frame added to the right. The longer the time frame the more supposed polish that goes into it. Of course that assumption never accounts for variables like starting point (what's the starting point state of the product before the delay), fundamental changes to the design variables, low quality productivity by personal for the platform in question, poor allocation of resources etc.

Priorities are set at the outset of a project's conception. No way to spin out of it and excuse questionable decisions. It's their product so they can do whatever the fuck they want with it but if you want to be the next CDPR after the Witcher 3 (no longer a niche nobody) you don't do a staggered console release (specially on the market leading console). Prime console users ain't gonna wait for you. It's simply not optimal for IP clout, mindshare and $$$$. They can continue with their "PC dev" golden halo on their heads if they so wish - their choice.

Last edited: