Before being shut down by Xbox, Tango was working on "anniversary content" for The Evil Within and had a 6 months old build of Hi-Fi Rush 2

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
What about Tango's other projects? Why did Krafton feel these games – Ghostwire: Tokyo, The Evil Within – help to justify the studio's acquisition?

We primarily focused on Hi-Fi Rush. It was more of a strategic decision. It would've been great to get all the IPs but the team was working on Hi-Fi Rush 2 and the others were working on anniversary content for The Evil Within. Knowing Microsoft's direction with the IP sale, we didn't want to push too far with this acquisition, so we primarily had Hi-Fi Rush under discussion because it would complicate the process and elongate the entire negotiation process.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
I cant believe they got shut down. Its cheaper in Japan, and they were consistently getting games out in 2-3 years, so even if they didnt sell incredibly they definitely more than broke even, would give gamepass content and also keep some players in the ecosystem happy.

Hellblade 2 took like 8 years for a 5 hr game that barely anyone played or liked, creating very little revenue. They should have been on the block more than Tango. Probably alot of other xbox studios easily as well.

Alas all this because they bought Activision

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I cant believe they got shut down. Its cheaper in Japan, and they were consistently getting games out in 2-3 years, so even if they didnt sell incredibly they definitely more than broke even, would give gamepass content and also keep some players in the ecosystem happy.

Hellblade 2 took like 8 years for a 5 hr game that barely anyone played or liked, creating very little revenue. They should have been on the block more than Tango. Probably alot of other xbox studios easily as well.

Alas all this because they bought Activision
They almost certainly didn't break even. The game had terrible sales numbers and didn't move the need for GP in any way. Its a good game but lets not pretend that people go bonkers for anime-styled rhythm games.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
That definitely sucks. Microsoft should have shut down Ninja Theory instead of Tango Gameworks but at least Tango Gameworks and the Hi Fi Rush is still alive and im getting a sequel so im happy for that.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
That definitely sucks. Microsoft should have shut down Ninja Theory instead of Tango Gameworks but at least Tango Gameworks and the Hi Fi Rush is still alive and im getting a sequel so im happy for that.
Krafton bought them with the hi-fi rushIP in August for an undisclosed amount they have a 'strategic partnership' with the company that decided to shut them down but then sold them instead when they got an offer so it's likely the HI-FI rush sequel will have another gamepass release & sell like shit

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Krafton bought them with the hi-fi rushIP in August for an undisclosed amount they have a 'strategic partnership' with the company that decided to shut them down but then sold them instead when they got an offer so it's likely the HI-FI rush sequel will have another gamepass release & sell like shit

All I care about is that a sequel is being made. Game Pass day one or not, I will still be playing it. As for sales, 95% of games released sell like shit everywhere and it's not only about sales. You think Astro Bot is selling 20m? Sony will be lucky if it ever hits 5m. It's not about the sales. It's about the fans for that particular IP and game which in turn leads to some of those people looking into what else you have that may interest them.

Reactions: Bryank75

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I'm looking around and this news is not blowing up. Barely any violence and rage compared to a Concord or Bungie thread or even the news feed yesterday 🤔

• they're_right_you_know
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
All I care about is that a sequel is being made. Game Pass day one or not, I will still be playing it. As for sales, 95% of games released sell like shit everywhere and it's not only about sales. You think Astro Bot is selling 20m? Sony will be lucky if it ever hits 5m. It's not about the sales. It's about the fans for that particular IP and game which in turn leads to some of those people looking into what else you have that may interest them.
Except it is about sales when the studio gets shut down because of poor sales.... Which is exactly what happend with tango

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Tango got axed in Bethesda-specific cuts, hence NT being entirely unaffected.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
They almost certainly didn't break even. The game had terrible sales numbers and didn't move the need for GP in any way. Its a good game but lets not pretend that people go bonkers for anime-styled rhythm games.
And Hellblade moved the needle and sold. Had like 3K on steam and no one bought or subscribed for that. Close them now by same logic and worse results