Best 5 shooters of the last 2 decades?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Eh jeez.

I’ve played Destiny 2 for an entire decade. That counts… probably my favorite game ever next to Super Metroid. Only other game I regard as highly.

Just wanna name drop Remnant 2 as probably the best 3rd person shooter I’ve ever played. I probably thought OG RE4 was the best before it. From Gears, to Vanquish to the Division… Remnant 2 obliterates all those as an action game and manages to be a third person shooter that plays like a Bungie shooter. They fucking nailed it.

Other favorites would be doom 2016 and… Drawing a blank. Maybe titanfall 2’s campaign but even then…. I’ve played better campaigns (Witch Queen). Doom 2016 probably best overall single player game.

But then I would have to compare Doom to Metroid Prime. And now I want to include Prime Trilogy…

Last edited:
Reactions: KnittedKnight

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Black Mesa (Half Life remake)
Dishonored
Deathloop
Returnal
Bioshock Infinite
Bioshock Infinite, get your Rotting CARCASS OFF this forum.

Video Ted GIF

Borderlands 2
Titanfall 2
Doom remake
Ion fury
Warframe

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Bioshock Infinite, get your Rotting CARCASS OFF this forum.

Video Ted GIF

Borderlands 2
Titanfall 2
Doom remake
Ion fury
Warframe
I don't get the hate for Infinite, that game was amazing. Much better than Bioshock 2 and on par with 1

• angry
Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I don't get the hate for Infinite, that game was amazing. Much better than Bioshock 2 and on par with 1
No, Infinite was utter junk; you can not even call that a BioShock game.

The powers sucked, and the clothing RPG bolton clothing mechanics was terrible.

The only couple of good things about the game were the art direction and the DLC.

Other than that, it was one of my most disappointing games of all time.

I seriously pray that the next Bioshock does not follow that direction.

• Surprised
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
No, Infinite was utter junk; you can not even call that a BioShock game.

The powers sucked, and the clothing RPG bolton clothing mechanics was terrible.

The only couple of good things about the game were the art direction and the DLC.

Other than that, it was one of my most disappointing games of all time.

I seriously pray that the next Bioshock does not follow that direction.
WOW 😳 to each their own I guess. I loved the gameplay, the twins, the story, art style, setting, the music, the twists, the ending. The game did a lot of things really well imo but I see now it's not for everyone.

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
WOW 😳 to each their own I guess. I loved the gameplay, the twins, the story, art style, setting, the music, the twists, the ending. The game did a lot of things really well imo but I see now it's not for everyone.

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin
I honestly felt like it was one of the most boring games I have ever played in my life.

The first two to me were absolute gems, I have no idea why they decided to go in the direction they did.

i do like the rest of your list, just not that one haha.

hugs

• Shake
Reactions: JAHGamer

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Destiny 1
Destiny 2
Titanfall 2
Doom reboot
COD 4 modern warfare
Modern warfare 2 (sequel to COD4)
Apex Legends
Battlefield 3
Battlefield bad company 2
Timesplitters future perfect

Reactions: KnittedKnight

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
The lack of Half-Life 2 mentions in this thread is disturbing.
hey I said Black Mesa, which is even better 😁 HL2 is amazing but it doesn't become a "fun shooter" until late game and in the episodes when you get the overpowered gravity gun.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Ooo yeah lemme co-sign Binary Domain up there.
I'm still Pissed that wasn't a 4 player GEARS like.

All me and my brothers were hyped for it, then I think I was the only one whomever completed it when we found out it was single player campaign :(

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I wanna pour one out for Left 4 Dead. There's still something about that series compared to later would-be replacements that hits better. I think because those try to tie a sense of status building across different characters, whereas as far as I know all the characters in L4D play the same gameplay-wise.

It's dated by now, like I do wish you could crawl around when knocked on your ass. Like I'm used to at leave crawling to a team mate or a tree of life medi station for reviving.

I always through MS'd do mods on consoles, backdoor Steam workshop and throw a L4D3 out, plumping it as a rare Windows/XB exclusive. Not like Back 4 Blood.