Best AI in a videogame so far

• Thread starter Deleted member 13
  • Start date

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Shadow of War does exactly what I'm saying it does. There are leaders around every Orc tribe. Some leaders will summon other Orcs.

They do adjust to your button mashing. The Champions on up do. It will say "Enemy Adapted" and I can no longer dodge them or vault over their heads in a single battle.

I looked at TLOU 1 in grounded mode you mention and it doesn't seem like nothing special to me. Definitely not as advanced as Nemesis. MGSV just has extra sensitive hearing. That's not enough to claim a good AI. None of the enemies in MGSV or TLOU 2 have the complexity like Nemesis has.

This is not a subjective opinion, it's literally a known fact when comparing aspects of the various AI systems to other games.

I've completed shadow of Mordor and shadow of war. The enemy AI is not that good, and you can pretty much button mash your way through the game. Compare that to randomised pathing, AI dynamically flanking you, etc. You are free to disagree if you want, but don't claim it as a fact. And extra sensitive hearing in the AI was not the only thing I mentioned.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Legend of Zelda 1 on NES. The way those Octoroks would spray rocks in random directions, fully knowing the feeling of chaos would make this six year old panic, is truly something else.

This is my way of saying I don't have an answer.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

I've completed shadow of Mordor and shadow of war. The enemy AI is not that good, and you can pretty much button mash your way through the game. Compare that to randomised pathing, AI dynamically flanking you, etc. You are free to disagree if you want, but don't claim it as a fact. And extra sensitive hearing in the AI was not the only thing I mentioned.
It's fact because we are listing features of an AI system. Nemesis is simply doing more. If SoW is considered button-mashing for attacks, so is TLOU 1/2.

xor

29 Sep 2022
I wanna see the ML acceleration hardware in current GPUs used for something other than graphics. Imagine a decently-sized model with inputs like the player's last known position, time since last seen, last weapon used, enemy's health and ammo reserves, presence/absence of nearby buddies, etc. Outputs would be a target move position, player's estimated position, aggression factor (used to blend between "take cover" vs "guns blazing" tactics)...

You'd need to initially train it by specifying suitable behaviour for many random scenarios, but could then refine it further by capturing player data and phoning it home. Whenever the AI succeeds in killing the player, use that data for the next round of training.

In fact, what if you did training locally too, not just inference? Now I'm imagining a roguelite where the only meta-progression is enemy AI learning from you each time, forcing you to switch up your tactics between runs to surprise them.

As for real games that currently exist though, I'm going to give it to TLOU2. It's hard to say how smart its AI actually is, because it leans on a lot of simple-but-expensive tricks like named callouts. But it successfully creates the illusion of smart and menacing enemies, and that's the important thing for an immersive atmospheric game like that.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I wanna see the ML acceleration hardware in current GPUs used for something other than graphics. Imagine a decently-sized model with inputs like the player's last known position, time since last seen, last weapon used, enemy's health and ammo reserves, presence/absence of nearby buddies, etc. Outputs would be a target move position, player's estimated position, aggression factor (used to blend between "take cover" vs "guns blazing" tactics)...

You'd need to initially train it by specifying suitable behaviour for many random scenarios, but could then refine it further by capturing player data and phoning it home. Whenever the AI succeeds in killing the player, use that data for the next round of training.

In fact, what if you did training locally too, not just inference? Now I'm imagining a roguelite where the only meta-progression is enemy AI learning from you each time, forcing you to switch up your tactics between runs to surprise them.

As for real games that currently exist though, I'm going to give it to TLOU2. It's hard to say how smart its AI actually is, because it leans on a lot of simple-but-expensive tricks like named callouts. But it successfully creates the illusion of smart and menacing enemies, and that's the important thing for an immersive atmospheric game like that.

ML.....

One step closer!

walk shock GIF

Scary, huh?!

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 13

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022

Ron Burgundy No GIF

Im not here to claim Shadow has the best AI ever, but maybe you’re playing on Easy if you button mashed through everything. Very early on in the game enemies will adapt to your button mashing and even adapt to strategies you use that aren’t button mashing. It’s actually kind of annoying sometimes how well the AI can counter you.

Anyway I’ll list something I haven’t seen anyone else list since some obvious ones were listed. Manhunt. Still probably the best stealth AI I have ever played against.

Reactions: Deleted member 13

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Im not here to claim Shadow has the best AI ever, but maybe you’re playing on Easy if you button mashed through everything. Very early on in the game enemies will adapt to your button mashing and even adapt to strategies you use that aren’t button mashing. It’s actually kind of annoying sometimes how well the AI can counter you.

Anyway I’ll list something I haven’t seen anyone else list since some obvious ones were listed. Manhunt. Still probably the best stealth AI I have ever played against.

I never played a game on Easy.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

Ron Burgundy No GIF

Yea, I'm quite surprised that if anyone has played the game long enough that they would find the AI shallow and without substance. It's not how easy you can take out an enemy but moreso paying attention to their communication and adaptation to the environment and the player. I couldn't believe the Orcs were talking about their Chief who I had just used mind capture to recruit them to my army and talking about his sword and how cursed it was and how many orcs he had killed with the sword.