Bethesda On Starfield's Big, Empty Planets: Not Every Location "Is Supposed To Be Disney World"

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
"The point of the vastness of space is you should feel small. It should feel overwhelming," Cheng said. "Everyone's concerned that empty planets are going to be boring. But when the astronauts went to the moon, there was nothing there. They certainly weren't bored."

Comparing the moon landing, which was a testament to mankind's ingenuity and courage, to copy-pasted planets in a video game is some next-level spinning. Sometimes it's better not to say anything at all.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I like how theyre leaning in to being incompetent. Makes the X cult that tried to gas light us to believe this would be the game of the generation look even more ridiculous.

catchew

8 Jun 2023
i dont think people are expecting a disneyland. but in terms of what makes a game ...a game. there should be some purpose for its gameplay loop. no? hell even mass effect 1 had some planets that were almost entirely empty but you could find something in some basing and expanding its lore in some capacity. i know when i first played it in my second playthrough i ended up checking all of them at some point based on that curiosity. its a scifi game they penned as nasa punk. or people could just watch perseverance stuff.

what a frustrating response by bgs lol

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
lancamentos-semana-starfield-rpg-bethesda-espaco-exploracao-fps.jpg

According to Bethesda's managing director Ashley Cheng, Starfield's more barren planets came about from the studio needing to walk a fine line between enjoyment and authenticity. Not every planet "is supposed to be Disney World," Cheng said to the New York Times. The other reason for some of the desolate worlds that you'll encounter is that it helps keep expectations in check, emphasizes the vastness of space, and is designed to make you feel small against this backdrop of the infinite expanse of space.

"The point of the vastness of space is you should feel small. It should feel overwhelming," Cheng said. "Everyone's concerned that empty planets are going to be boring. But when the astronauts went to the moon, there was nothing there. They certainly weren't bored."

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
" But when the astronauts went to the moon, there was nothing there. They certainly weren't bored."

They weren't playing a videogame, idiot. A giant empty map with nothing to do in a video game is boring because in videogames you expect to have things to do.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Do they even have 1 planet that's a disney world? What I've seen is that none of it is particularly high quality even in the big city

Reactions: toadsage44

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
Isn't this exactly the same thread created by Ethomaz yesterday ? I think some modder should unite the two

24 Jun 2022
It's funny how they want people to look at Starfield in the light of being a simulator for THIS particular point, yet the staunch defenders of the game's honor get massively triggered when it gets compared directly to No Man's Sky, an actual space simulator that does many things better than Starfield.

I mean if anything, this comment from Cheng should be the go-ahead approval to make those comparisons. Or to Star Citizen, for that matter.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Comparing the moon landing, which was a testament to mankind's ingenuity and courage, to copy-pasted planets in a video game is some next-level spinning. Sometimes it's better not to say anything at all.
Also, I bet you the astronauts doing the moon landing didn't fucking use a loading screen to get there.

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
The main difference, to me, is that astronauts expected there to be nothing on the moon since, y'know, it's the moon. They were the first people to set foot there, so obviously they weren't expecting an amusement park, ala Futurama. When it comes to video games, on the other hand, I don't think it's too much to ask if you expect there to be something to do.

Reactions: laynelane

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
lancamentos-semana-starfield-rpg-bethesda-espaco-exploracao-fps.jpg

According to Bethesda's managing director Ashley Cheng, Starfield's more barren planets came about from the studio needing to walk a fine line between enjoyment and authenticity. Not every planet "is supposed to be Disney World," Cheng said to the New York Times. The other reason for some of the desolate worlds that you'll encounter is that it helps keep expectations in check, emphasizes the vastness of space, and is designed to make you feel small against this backdrop of the infinite expanse of space.
And easy way to justify and rectify this issue would have been them making some barren planets have elemental / environmental dangers...

Heavier gravity, extreme temps or random weather conditions