Beyond Good and Evil 2 still coming

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Was definitely one of the games I thought was at risk of being cancelled.

Good to hear that the fans will still get it...

Reactions: Gamernyc78

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Animated GIF

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Is it 5 years in the oven? Stupid ubisoft. Playing around. Just jump on the game and finish it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, they continue working on it.

Is it 5 years in the oven? Stupid ubisoft. Playing around. Just jump on the game and finish it.
Way more years. 5 years is since they announced that they went back to it and rebooted the project. It was planned to be stupidly huge and ambitious, and that requires a lot of work.

Remember "Wild" that shit got canceled last year smh.
It was a rumor that never got officially confirmed. In fact, that month and months later the developers did open new job positions.

Was definitely one of the games I thought was at risk of being cancelled.
They spent an insane amount of money on it. I don't see them cancelling it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The sunken cost fallacy is what breaks many companies.
It isn't a fallacy. If a company invested hundreds of millions on something they make sure they can ship it in the best way possible.

In the case the game isn't good enough (I think won't be the case) they prefer to ship it and at least get back a portion of that, which is better than zero.

To cancel games is more typical from when they are new projects on their early stages, when they only invested a small amount of money on it. For the companies, if they have to cancel a project, it's better to do it in the earliest stage possible because this means that less work/money is sent to the garbage bin.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It isn't a fallacy. If a company invested hundreds of millions on something they make sure they can ship it in the best way possible.

In the case the game isn't good enough (I think won't be the case) they prefer to ship it and at least get back a portion of that, which is better than zero.

To cancel games is more typical from when they are new projects on their early stages, when they only invested a small amount of money on it. For the companies, if they have to cancel a project, it's better to do it in the earliest stage possible because this means that less work/money is sent to the garbage bin.
yes, release unfinished game. got taken out of PSN(or not), get bashed in media, get bashed among players. get even sued and etc.. earn reputation of half ass games.
then, new games gets lower sales across the board for years and etc..

• they're_right_you_know

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
yes, release unfinished game. got taken out of PSN(or not), get bashed in media, get bashed among players. get even sued and etc.. earn reputation of half ass games.
then, new games gets lower sales across the board for years and etc..
Cyberpunk 2077 isn't the only one who did that. A ton of games do it and we as players don't know it, now I remember The Last Guardian or Burnout Paradise being two of them. Some of them end having poor sales or reviews, some end having good reviews or sales.

Burnout Paradise almost killed Criterion and Burnout, and The Last Guardian ended with a good chunk of Japan Studio getting fired, the studio restructured and their management changed.

In the case of Ubisoft Watchdogs and The Division had troubled developments but ended being record breaking new IPs in the game industry.

BGE2 simply needs a fucking long development because it's a fucking ambitious concept with an insanely large game universe so it required a very long development, and they happened to announce it too early, when they were barely starting to restart to work on it. But today, around 6 years of development isn't something rare for big AAA games. I mean, games the first Watchdogs needed around 7 and it was a long time ago, when AAA games released then took way less to be developed than now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elder Legend

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Wish "Wild" wasn't cancelled though and B G and E looked so good in it's last known trailer. The graphics and animation was sooooo good.......Time has passed though, new standards will be raised soon.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Pinning the closing of Japan Studio on The Last Guardian alone is some serious revisionism.
They didn't close Japan Studio. Go and read the gazillion times I or others explained it in this and other forums.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
They didn't close Japan Studio. Go and read the gazillion times I or others explained it in this and other forums.
I know it was deeply restructured and with a large portion of the staff let go. Might as well call it a closure, but let's get unreasonably pedantic then.

My point was that there were many more things factored into that decision than just The Last Guardian, unlike what you implied.

• they're_right_you_know

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I know it was deeply restructured and with a large portion of the staff let go. Might as well call it a closure, but let's get unreasonably pedantic then.

My point was that there were many more things factored into that decision than just The Last Guardian, unlike what you implied.
The main idea of the restructuring was to separate its 2nd party publishing team into a separate office that now would be part of the global XDEV team (the one in charge of Sonys 2nd party) instead of reporting to a local gamedev studio, same as they did before in Europe in USA.

And in addition to this, after decades of not being able to release a single hit in sales and having had multiple money pits and missed milestones, being TLG one of them but the biggest one, they decided to change the management promoting the ones in charge of Astrobot, and merging all their internal development teams into the most prestigious and successful one, Team Asobi. Since Japan Studio was now internal development only and they had a single, now bigger, Team Asobi, they rebranded it to Team Asobi also reflecting their change in management to reboot the studio.

We know some people were fired, but we don't know their amount. What we know is that both Team Asobi and the XDEV Japanese team have been hiring and plan to continue growing. And that this XDEV team which until now was in charge of games developed in Japan, now will be also in charge of games developed in the rest of Asia.

Instead of killing Japan Studio they did the changes and improvements that were needed there many years ago.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
and merging all their internal development teams into the most prestigious and successful one, Team Asobi.
Successful, maybe, but there is no way Asobi was more prestigious than the Ico/SotC group. There's a reason everyone thinks that Japan Studio was closed instead of just having their management shaken up.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Successful, maybe, but there is no way Asobi was more prestigious than the Ico/SotC group. There's a reason everyone thinks that Japan Studio was closed instead of just having their management shaken up.
Around half a dozen of the main TLG staff left or were fired moving most of them to Gen Design, most of the rest remained in Japan studio and that SotC/TLG staff later worked on other Japan Studio/Team Asobi games like Knack 2, Demon's Souls and the Astro games.

The only reason 'everyone' thinks that Japan Studio was closed is officially debunked FUD forum posts and rumor articles from haters. Even if they published and announced later more games and Sony explained the restructuring multiple times.

There were some SIE departments that were doing duplied job in multiple locations working separatedly uncoordinated and they merged each one of these teams. One of them was the marketing team, which now is a single global team that makes global campaigns with ramifications on each country/region.

Other one is XDEV, their 2nd party publishing and outsourcing handling branch: in the past they had a team inside Liverpool Studio to handle European games, other inside Sony Santa Monica to handle American games and other inside Japan Studio to handle Japanese games. They first branched out first the European one to be a separate office that no longer would need to report to Liverpool Studio, which later focused to work only on developing internal. Then they branched out the American team to focus SMS only on developing internal games and that 2nd party team started to work together with the European XDEV instead of reporting to SMS. And later they branched out the 2nd party team of Japan Studio to become a separate office and become part of that global XDEV team, being them in charge of the 2nd party games developed in Japan and the rest of Asia.

After the restructuring they published Death Stranding Director's Cut plus announced Stellar Blade, DS2, Rise of the Ronin and others plus are growing.

After Astro's Playroom the internal development game is working on a bigger 3D action game plus other small and experimental stuff to showcase the PS hardware and also growing aiming to become over 100 workers soon.

Last edited: