Black Myth: Wukong sales top 18 million. Expansion in the works.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Black Myth: Wukong has sold 18 million copies in two weeks — one of the fastest starts the global gaming industry has seen. That record pace has in turn minted millions for its earliest and biggest investor.

Wukong was a leap of faith for Daniel Wu, whose little-known Hero Games is the biggest external shareholder in creator Game Science. His startup stuck with its partner through years of flops and contributed a large chunk of the blockbuster title’s $70 million budget over six years of development, an unheard-of undertaking for a Chinese project.

It paid off big time. The action game based on the legend of the Monkey King has outsold industry icons such as Elden Ring and Zelda, at least in its initial spurt. It can reach 30 million sales over its lifetime, augmented with an expansion to come, Wu told Bloomberg News.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
That's ridiculous. Bigger than Palworld in a shorter amount of time? I wonder how many PS5s they are selling because of it 🤔

I tried the Benchmark on my laptop and I didn't get nice results so I'm still waiting if they add accessibility options or something similar for the difficulty.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Man I cant believe this game sells more than Final Fantasy and Stellar Blade, people are strange

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Hope the game industry doesn't take this as "pander to China" and learns literally nothing else from this games success
I mean if game wasnt Chinese it would not have close to those sales

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. E99

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Rebekkkkahhh will surely be malding in her disgusting nerdette nest over this while Imran looks on, hoping that he doesn't bring him into this shit.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
And what should they learn?
There's a strong audience for gameplay oriented singleplayer games, game costs don't need to be quite as high as they have been to put out a massive hit, and translating into Chinese is a good idea as there is a sizable audience of gamers there.

Reactions: Gediminas

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
When the industry done that?

I see it all the time. I do it myself.
Microsoft commented on avoiding Curvy women when Stellar Balde released. Then closed dei team when Concord hit Beta. Flip flop when its convenient to them for brownie points.
Fans will avoid one game politically and then champion another