Black Myth: Wukong sales top 18 million. Expansion in the works.

24 Jun 2022
Man I cant believe this game sells more than Final Fantasy and Stellar Blade, people are strange

Well, most of the copies have likely been sold in China which is a big PC-centric gaming market. And most copies have sold in China.

I'd assume the split is probably something like 12-13 million PC and 4-5 million PS5 given these factors, which would put the PS5 figures pretty much in line with games like FF XVI, GOW Ragnarok, and Spiderman 2.

Though if this had some actual PlayStation marketing to push it in global regions, sales probably would've been closer to 20-22 million by now TBH, which is crazy to consider.

Hope the game industry doesn't take this as "pander to China" and learns literally nothing else from this games success

If Hollywood is any example, that's probably exactly what will happen. At least for many Western 3P.

Then they'll find themselves out of a market as native Chinese devs serve the market needs better, and overtly pro-CCP propaganda turns off players in other parts of the world.

Basically it could be a while before Top Gun Maverick or Joker 1 experiences become the norm again from Western AAA. Provided the wrong lessons are taken, of course.

Reactions: Kokoloko

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
A sun wukong mytology game pander to china

Who wouldve guess
I take it you haven't seen any media that pandered to China exclusively for money purposes
Watch Transformers: Age of Extinction sometime to see what creatively bankrupt media trying to pander to China looks like. I'm not saying pandering to China itself is inherently an issue, its moreso that if the game industry only takes this to mean pander to china and nothing else they will not see the success Black Myth: Wukong has

• haha
Reactions: Kokoloko and Airbus

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I take it you haven't seen any media that pandered to China exclusively for money purposes
Watch Transformers: Age of Extinction sometime to see what creatively bankrupt media trying to pander to China looks like. I'm not saying pandering to China itself is inherently an issue, its moreso that if the game industry only takes this to mean pander to china and nothing else they will not see the success Black Myth: Wukong has

You don't really have to pander to China anyhow, for pretty much every kind of big budget AAA release on Steam it can be anywhere from 20% to 45% of the sales coming from China.
The Steam userbase in China is large enough that you'll find an audience for everything but the most niche Western type thing that wouldn't translate to people in China/Asia being interested.

Just have their language ready with a good translation and they'll show up.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

It was bad when Hollywood movies, Lebron, John Cena etc etc pandered to the leftest China.
But now they are the heroes atm because anti woke lol

Reactions: Entropi

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Holy shit!!!

Elden Ring sold 25m copies as of June 2024 over five platforms (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO and XS) while Wukong is over 18m on two platforms and in two weeks. Massively impressive. Will play Wukong after Astro Bot but already looking forward to seeing what they cook up with the expansion.

• Cerny
Reactions: MiyazakiLovesKojima

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Holy shit!!!

Elden Ring sold 25m copies as of June 2024 over five platforms (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO and XS) while Wukong is over 18m on two platforms and in two weeks. Massively impressive. Will play Wukong after Astro Bot but already looking forward to seeing what they cook up with the expansion.
Just think, wukong could be at 18.1mil if it launched on Xbox day one 🤣🤣🤣what a missed opportunity

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Just think, wukong could be at 18.1mil if it launched on Xbox day one 🤣🤣🤣what a missed opportunity

Funny but let's be honest, 17.9m sales is probably on PC so it's not like PlayStation 5 Wukong sales is setting the world on fire.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Funny but let's be honest, 17.9m sales is probably on PC so it's not like PlayStation 5 Wukong sales is setting the world on fire.
Playtracker estimates 5 million players for Wukong on PS5, You do realize that there is singapore, hong kong, taiwan that are big PS markets in east asia right

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Said gonna Be honest and made a pure cope comment.

P.S. By the way, xbox is not dying, it is dead.
Cope harder.

Really? Xbox is dead? Then what the fuck console was I playing all those Halo games on a few days ago? Seems like Xbox Series X is working perfectly fine for me. Funny how a dead brand is releasing more hardware and software with their next generation console launching in two years. Man, I would hate to see what they would do if they were considered alive. LMAO.

Playtracker estimates 5 million players for Wukong on PS5, You do realize that there is singapore, hong kong, taiwan that are big PS markets in east asia right

WTF is Playtracker? LOL. Seriously, using unofficial numbers to make things look better than what they are. That sounds familiar. lol

When Game Science and/or Sony announce that they sold 5m copies on PlayStation 5, then I will believe it but until then, not so much.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Really? Xbox is dead? Then what the fuck console was I playing all those Halo games on a few days ago? Seems like Xbox Series X is working perfectly fine for me. Funny how a dead brand is releasing more hardware and software with their next generation console launching in two years. Man, I would hate to see what they would do if they were considered alive. LMAO.

WTF is Playtracker? LOL. Seriously, using unofficial numbers to make things look better than what they are. That sounds familiar. lol

When Game Science and/or Sony announce that they sold 5m copies on PlayStation 5, then I will believe it but until then, not so much.

trump no GIF by FirstAndMonday

Cry more little peter

• haha
Reactions: Airbus and peter42O

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Fastest selling game so far

18 million copy in 2 weeks are crazy

I predict 70-80 million lifetime sales

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
@peter42O the estimates from a stats gathering website are more credible than your 100k pulled out of your arse. We know why you're doing this, though. We understand.

Big Hero GIF

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
the estimates from a stats gathering website are more credible than your 100k pulled out of your arse. We know why you're doing this, though. We understand.

Perhaps. Remains to be seen though.

Either way, Wukong is a massive success and I assume the last part is based on the game not being on Xbox at the moment but this doesn't matter at all because I already bought it and have it installed on my PlayStation 5 and it will be played after Astro Bot.