Black Panther Job Listing Confirms Open-World Setting

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Open-World Wakanda​

In a recent job listing posted by Electronic Arts, the team at Cliffhanger Studios is asking for a ‘Principal Sandbox Designer’ to step up to the Black Panther-themed plate. This is a particularly interesting post as it makes several references to an immersive, open-world environment being created as the foundation for Black Panther:

24 Jun 2022
A game being open-world these days isn't the brag most publishers think it is, especially considering in many cases the "open world" aspects are usually superfluous and not too meaningful. Too many open-world games just reduce the open world to a giant backdrop rather than giving you something meaningful to engage in within each foot of it.

So basically, I'd of been more curious if the Black Panther game wasn't open world, or if one of the first big features about it were something other than it being open-world. Open-world is basically expected at this point :/

Reactions: Box and Nhomnhom

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Let me elaborate, I'm replaying the old God of War games (1 not finished yet)... They offer surprises after surprises, intricate level and encounter designs, lots of actual secrets, variety and what not.

Add an open world around that and all you get is a diluted experience.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
A game being open-world these days isn't the brag most publishers think it is, especially considering in many cases the "open world" aspects are usually superfluous and not too meaningful. Too many open-world games just reduce the open world to a giant backdrop rather than giving you something meaningful to engage in within each foot of it.

So basically, I'd of been more curious if the Black Panther game wasn't open world, or if one of the first big features about it were something other than it being open-world. Open-world is basically expected at this point :/
Open world requires a lot more commitment from me and at this point it just drives me away from most games that have it unless I'm really looking forward to that particular game.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

The public still favors them over level-based single-player experiences. And for good reason, with the good reason being total gameplay time without having to replay levels.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The public still favors them over level-based single-player experiences. And for good reason, with the good reason being total gameplay time without having to replay levels.
Most of it is filler content, checkmark style points on a map, there is no actual discovery, it's all cookie cutter (despite what the press says, in the end they're all more or less Assassin's Creed.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Most of it is filler content, checkmark style points on a map, there is no actual discovery, it's all cookie cutter (despite what the press says, in the end they're all more or less Assassin's Creed.
And yet my statement is still true.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Do they favour them when presented with a choice, or is it that slop for normies is all open world which skews the data?

Wasn't open world Zelda bashed?
Aren't most switch games level based?
Fortnite, cod, FIFA are level based.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Do they favour them when presented with a choice, or is it that slop for normies is all open world which skews the data?

Wasn't open world Zelda bashed?
Aren't most switch games level based?
Fortnite, cod, FIFA are level based.
Zelda has never not been open world. If you are referring to BotW specifically, its one of the highest rated games of all time. TotK also widely beloved.

Not sure what you mean by "most Switch games", because Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid, AC, etc. are open world. Then things like Mario Kart, 2D Mario, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Ring Fit, etc. are level based. And the, honestly, a plurality are "mini-game based" like Mario sports, Smash Bros., Mario Party, Switch Sports, Wario-ware, etc. where they don't really take place in any sort world or level at all and act more like a single screen arcade game.

But as for your question, yes, game buyers do have a choice with multiple level-based experiences being released by big players every year.

Aside from CoD, which doesn't live or die on the campaign, they seem to underperform to me. The big one that immediately cones to mind to me is Immortals of Aveum, which wore level-based gameplay on its sleeve and got a tepid audience response.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Zelda has never not been open world. If you are referring to BotW specifically, its one of the highest rated games of all time. TotK also widely beloved.
Yet, I declare it and the other one like it are garbage games, worse than other open world games out there.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Definitely is not.