Blizzard is open to outsourcing the Warcraft IP to another studio to create games in different genres

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
blizzardia-estaria-aberta-em-terceirizar-a-ip-warcraft-para-outro-estudio-105846.jpg

John Hight, general manager of the Warcraft franchise, recently commented to IGN that "it would certainly be interesting" to make new Warcraft films. However, he says that Blizzard has no interest in becoming a film production company, which means that it would need to find the right studio to handle the project.

Commenting on partnering with other studios to produce new games in the Wacraft franchise, the director also doesn't rule out the idea, but it would take someone who really understood the IP's proposal and was capable of creating a genre that Blizzard doesn't specialize in:

“Certainly open to people who really get it and have a cool idea about how to express Warcraft and if we feel like aesthetically they're going to be able to hit the bar,” he said. “…I think if we found the right partner, found the right situation, I think especially if they have a proficiency in a game genre that we really don't, I think that'd be the ideal partner for us to work with and we're open to that, but that's relatively new. I'm open to it because I want to have Warcraft out there a little more than it is now, and I also don't want to have us grow so fast that we're no longer able to serve the audiences we have. But I think there's some benefit in leveraging other companies that share our love for it, have a really cool idea, share our belief in quality and have the ability to execute on it. But now that's probably a pretty small list, right?”

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
This translates to "We know that we can't make a good warcraft game and don't want to be crucified" so they let others get shitcanned. Bloober and Konami are examples of this, If SH2 is trash when it releases, Bloober will get eviscerated while Konami can slink away into the shadows taking whatever money is made

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
lol outsourcing already. This purchase is a mess. Already prepping to offload work and pay cheaper labour. This purchase man oh man.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
allow me to translate:

"please make our games for us because all our talent already left/got laid off, turns out people don't appreciate being paid way less than industry standard when you're on a losing streak and the aura of invincibility is gone"