Bloomberg: CD Projekt Aims to Redeem Cyberpunk 2077 With Major Expansion

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
CD Projekt is looking for a redemption story with Cyberpunk 2077's big expansion, Phantom Liberty. I spoke to director Gabe Amatangelo about overhauling the game, getting as much time as they need, and improving CD Projekt's work-life balance issues:

• Also a little scoop in here: Amatangelo, who started in 2020 and became director of Phantom Liberty a year later, told Bloomberg that after this he will direct the sequel to Cyberpunk 2077

Phantom Liberty features an ambitious storyline that involves rescuing and protecting the president of the game’s fictional “New United States of America.” Based on a recent hour of playing time, the new extension appears to challenge players with lots of interesting decisions, such as whether to trust a pair of drifters who show up at the safe house in which the president is hiding.

Following the blueprint of the company’s previous hit game, The Witcher 3, CD Projekt had originally planned to release at least two expansions for Cyberpunk 2077. But after its poor reception, the company scrapped the original strategy, pivoted to free content updates and eventually decided to focus on Phantom Liberty.

In May 2021, top director Konrad Tomaszkiewicz left the studio following an internal investigation into accusations of bullying, which he denied. Shortly afterward, his brother Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz, who was leading Phantom Liberty, stepped down too and was replaced by Amatangelo, an industry veteran who had joined CD Projekt the previous year.

Amatangelo went on to lead the development of Cyberpunk 2077’s well received patch 1.5, which was released in February 2022. He and his team are now finishing the new expansion. CD Projekt’s board of directors, he said, has given them carte blanche to “make it right,” including all the time and resources he requested.

Whereas the expansions of The Witcher 3 were released within a year of the game’s arrival, Cyberpunk 2077’s Phantom Liberty has been in development for more than two years. “The commitment to it from a board level is something else, really,” Amatangelo said. “I was struck by the humility and willingness to change.”

By contrast, people who worked on the initial release of Cyberpunk 2077 said that they had expected to keep improving the game for at least two more years of development. Instead, the rushed release has become a cautionary tale for the industry and a reference point when other companies delay games.

Despite its problems, Cyberpunk 2077 has been commercially successful, selling more than 20 million copies. But it was also marred by so many glitches that Sony Group Corp. ended up pulling it from the PlayStation digital store for more than six months.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
If Cyberpunk launched with no bugs and the amazing visual presentation it has today, it would still be a high-7s/low-8s kind of game. The story, especially the ending has a lot of weak, nonsensical writing. There are many iffy examples of racial stereotypes and nihilistic sexual objectification that read as The Devs Think It's Cool as opposed to some kind of social satire. Shooting feels bad. Driving feels bad. Weapon variety and the overall loot system is not rewarding. The open world doesn't have crazy surprises like Witcher 3. etc.

I wound up finishing the game, so it had something to keep me coming back more than most games. I'm down for the DLC. I just hope the team hasn't bought into the narrative that Cyberpunk was a great game mired by tech issues. It has a lot of room for improvement on the game design and artistic sides as well.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom