Breaking: Concord is shutting down on September 6, full refunds. (Update: Servers Now Closed)

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Right. I saw something that indicated PM had money issues. And what they decided to sell off was Concord and Firewalk.

If there’s other games PM is holding onto… why did they let Concord be the one? It’s why I assumed PM was designed to incubate startups but if they’re trying to be a pub themselves? I dunno — you wouldn’t give up a golden goose egg.

This is also why the rumors of production costs for Concord are interesting tbh.
Without the Sony Buyout FireWalk themselves might have suffered layoffs and whatever else. I'm just gonna assume Sony saw what was happening financially and decided they would take the game under their wings given they were already invested for the last two years. I mean subjective opinions about the game aside, the game is exceptional well made... So I guess that's what Hermen and Co... Saw and decided buy that talent

Having played Concord it's easy to tell this game did not have a budget close to God of War / The Last of Us 2. The devs themselves said most of the content was made in the last 4 years and that in 2019 they were still working in a friend's attic with then 20 devs on the team.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Without the Sony Buyout FireWalk themselves might have suffered layoffs and whatever else. I'm just gonna assume Sony saw what was happening financially and decided they would take the game under their wings given they were already invested for the last two years. I mean subjective opinions about the game aside, the game is exceptional well made... So I guess that's what Hermen and Co... Saw and decided buy that talent

Having played Concord it's easy to tell this game did not have a budget close to God of War / The Last of Us 2. The devs themselves said most of the content was made in the last 4 years and that in 2019 they were still working in a friend's attic with then 20 devs on the team.
How did they fit 250 people into a friend's attic? 😂

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
You cannot compare how a PvP game looks vs a dedicated single player game. What black ops 6 really looks like is its pvp - not its 2 hour campaign. PvP side modes have always looked noticeably less detailed w/ a ton of other compromises.

Concord definitely looks expensive. Cinematics and face animations alone.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
How did they fit 250 people into a friend's attic? 😂
They had a 250 million budget, the most expansive / expensive attic ever 😎

You cannot compare how a PvP game looks vs a dedicated single player game. What black ops 6 really looks like is its pvp - not its 2 hour campaign. PvP side modes have always looked noticeably less detailed w/ a ton of other compromises.

Except I'm not comparing I am saying after having played the game it's clear the game devs did not have this elusive budget people keep mentioning 200 - 300 million.

The weekly cutscenes are literally like 1 - 3 minutes long at most... In total each season cutscenes probably would have amounted to around 20 minutes of cutscenes. Y'all keep acting the game was heavy on cinematics lol and these guys spent Naughty Dog levels of time in a mocap studio... Also Sony built a Mocap studio in Washington after Ghost of Tsushima... So I'm sure FireWalk got access to that which kept costs down too.

The game launched very light on content, again, it's clear the devs did not have the expansive budget that's all. They kept their scope very small.

Even the roadmap eluded to them not having a big post launch budget

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024

It's way too hard for any of us to gauge.

The anti - GAAS types want the game to cost 200 million because it's a bigger blow to PlayStations long term strategy.

The Finals was made by 75 employees at Embark. I have no idea if The Finals is in the same budgetary ballpark as Cocnord. Very few people actually do.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It's way too hard for any of us to gauge.

The anti - GAAS types want the game to cost 200 million because it's a bigger blow to PlayStations long term strategy.

The Finals was made by 75 employees at Embark. I have no idea if The Finals is in the same budgetary ballpark as Cocnord. Very few people actually do.

I don’t know if the budget is a total of what both probably monsters and Sony put into it, if it includes buying the dev, etc… I am assuming it’s just the game’s cost for Sony.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I don’t know if the budget is a total of what both probably monsters and Sony put into it, if it includes buying the dev, etc… I am assuming it’s just the game’s cost for Sony.
Yeah, but we have no idea about any of the details. Jason Shchreier says "reported 9 figure budget" in his tweet but where is the report? He doesn't link us to anything credible, he just states it and moves on.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yeah, but we have no idea about any of the details. Jason Shchreier says "reported 9 figure budget" in his tweet but where is the report? He doesn't link us to anything credible, he just states it and moves on.
Because he doesn't know either 😬, just sensationalism at this point

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
the man is not going to give you a bibliography for a tweet

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
can we stop with the Concord hate already? the game is not even out yet

I'll take a permaban if this game comes out and the criticism isn't justified.
Tv Show Lol GIF

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Today I removed the album from Concord 😭😭😭

Some really great videos there.
I really wanted to play it waiting Astro download.
Gaming life is not fair.

• Heart
Reactions: Dick Jones

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Today I removed the album from Concord 😭😭😭

Some really great videos there.
I really wanted to play it waiting Astro download.
Gaming life is not fair.
I had to back up some videos to my Google drive today as I forgot the PS app will delete everything after 2 weeks 🫠

Also I'm surprised Sony hasn't deleted the amazing OST off streaming, at least I can still hear the brilliant start screen music and reminisce 😂

Reactions: Kokoloko