BREAKING: Xbox is shutting down Arkane Austin, Tango Gameworks, and two other studios.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
yeah, they killed like 90%+ playstation fans in 2019-2021
yeah, Ms definitely astroturfed forums in the wake of a new gen. I remember it, Sony/Nintendo were killing shit(as usual), but then suddenly the video game Netflix would make it all irrelevant. I must say, it took a few years for people to realize the truth, but it's satisfying seeing people finally agree with what i've been saying for YEARS

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
There's a lot of soul searching going on out there with people apparently reaching that tipping point. There was one post on ERA a few hours ago that had a few moments and a few points I thought would be worth sharing. Not linking directly or sharing their username, not what this is about, just sharing the bulk of one of the lengthier and less reactionary responses to the news that seemed to resonate with people there:

I've really regretted the idea of making a post like this, but he we are.

If you had to ask me a simple question about what the lowest point of being an Xbox fan was, it's sad to think that you would have think of several different instances. Nintendo and Sony are not infallible on this front, but look how quickly both of those companies were able to turn around their tailspins.

{Sony early ps3 & Nintendo WiiU stuff removed}

I almost feel like I've been in a cult for the last eleven years that's just now seeing the light.

{History lesson removed}

Then we get the news from yesterday. Three studios being closed. Alpha Dog, Arkane Austin, and FUCKING Tango Gameworks. I had to hear Phil and company state for fucking years on how important of a market Japan was for them. How much they would LOVE to have a studio in Japan. You finally get one, have a studio release a game of the year contender and your response is to shutter them. It's just fucking spineless.

It's been a huge relief to see all the knives come out for Xbox, from journalists, fans, and most importantly the workers and creators that give us these beautiful games in the first place.

It's been eleven years since the Xbox One debacle. Look how quick Sony and Nintendo were able to turn around their errors. How the hell is it that I feel worse about the console than ever before?

I fear that Microsoft is going to shutter more studios after leadership made these acquisitions and parroted lines that they believed in the creativity of games.

I'm uncertain in Microsoft's ability to manage anything related to Xbox at this point.

And I doubt the leadership of Xbox in being able to regain any of our trust.

FUD is being flung at us directly from Xbox's actions.

I'm beginning to believe that maybe they just never really gave a shit about any of us. I don't think they care about the creators at these studios. I don't think they care about how these decisions are affecting the fanbase.

Maybe I was more naive than I thought. They say fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I think we're well past being fooled twice. I'm realizing that Xbox leadership is Lucy, and I'm the fucking moron that keeps trying to kick that stupid pigskin.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
GAF has honesty been on the Sony side since the multiplat rumblings. era, while more resistant, are finally realizing Xbox has been trash all gen and they've been gaslit. even famiboards and their odd xbox alliance is fizzling out.
Good but it's too late. The damage is done and all the best posters left months and years ago. I don't recognize any of the new faces there.

More studios are closing with offers to go independent. The shitshow is not done.

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
I mean that's a no brainer. Xbox console owners/Xbox PC users won't buy it because it's on gamepass. And currently pre-orders are in the 200s on Steam's top seller list. Ninja Theory's best hope for staying alive is PS5 sales.

Damn, they are desperate over there. If they added CoD to Gamepass they'd have to raise the monthly price to like $25-$30 per month at least. 💀☠️

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
And none of us saw that coming, right... lol.

Xbox is now so large that they attracted the Eye of Sauron(Nadella).

Microsoft is looking at the ABK books during the acquisition and turned around and asked Xbox: Why are you not making as much profit as the CoD/WoW/Candy Crush guys?

Bethesda, you're now making as many Fallout/Elder Scrolls games as humanly possible.
Also, get some more people working at Zenimax Online Studios, you guys are making money.

Xbox Game Studios, when are your games coming out?
What year did you say? No, it's time to cancel some stuff. Also, some of y'all are going to be turned into support studios.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Considering how dead quiet the marketing behind Hell Blade 2. I'm thinking Ninja Theory are done.
Yea. I think somw others ll be canceled soon. Contraband, everwilde, perfect dark, state of decay. Studios also.

Might be reach but i think fable s also on thin ice.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
The gaming media and Xbox fanboys are shocked.

People who didn't fall for the Microsoft PR bullshit saw this coming.
shocked philip j fry GIF

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
There's a lot of soul searching going on out there with people apparently reaching that tipping point. There was one post on ERA a few hours ago that had a few moments and a few points I thought would be worth sharing. Not linking directly or sharing their username, not what this is about, just sharing the bulk of one of the lengthier and less reactionary responses to the news that seemed to resonate with people there:
lmao well this poster was right about one thing: the Xbox "fans" are welllllllllllllllllllllllllll past being fooled twice

timdog's motto should be "fool me 935 times? you can't get fooled again!"