Bungie apparently has over 1500 employees now, grew their employee count by 28% last year.

D

Deleted member 223

These GAAS games are an industry time bomb. People bitch about AAA studios of the 400 - 500 size and how it's "not sustainable" yet that's baby numbers. GAAS says, hold me beer.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think this number is wrong, seems way too high. As far as we know they have these teams:
  • Destiny 2 post launch support until (at least) next year
  • Marathon
  • At least another new IP planned planned to be released by 2025
  • Rumored mobile game / partnership with I think it was Netmarble
  • Cinema/tv adaptations of Bungie IPs with Sony
Mobile and movie/series adaptations must have smaller teams, and the AAA ones should be around 150-250 people each.

Yes, thats what takes. Activision have like 4k-5k people working on CoD franchise.
Normally AAA games only have around 10% of the people involved in a game working in the lead studio.

The typical case is a team of around 150-250 people in the lead studio out of a total of 2000-3000 people when adding people from teams who codeveloped it, outsourcing, people from other studios of the publisher/headquarters of the corporation regarting testing, marketing, publising, finances, legal, PR, localization, editorial team etc. plus more external teams regarding OST, voice over, etc.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I think this number is wrong, seems way too high. As far as we know they have these teams:
  • Destiny 2 post launch support until (at least) next year
  • Marathon
  • At least another new IP planned planned to be released by 2025
  • Rumored mobile game / partnership with I think it was Netmarble
  • Cinema/tv adaptations of Bungie IPs with Sony
Mobile and movie/series adaptations must have smaller teams, and the AAA ones should be around 150-250 people each.

Normally AAA games only have around 10% of the people involved in a game working in the lead studio.

The typical case is a team of around 150-250 people in the lead studio out of a total of 2000-3000 people when adding people from teams who codeveloped it, outsourcing, people from other studios of the publisher/headquarters of the corporation regarting testing, marketing, publising, finances, legal, PR, localization, editorial team etc. plus more external teams regarding OST, voice over, etc.

You’re making the assumption that Destiny content will end which is 100% incorrect. First story arc ends and new one will launch immediately. There are some leaks but they will be confirmed at the event in August. The current assumption is to have a rebuild and relaunch following the next expansion. This is also following the news both games will share engine and improvements. Much of current D2 is expected to be shelved in the cloud in some form (campaigns most likely).

Matter is often still being mentioned as a different game from Marathon. Marathon is the “new IP” they were planning to release by 2024. Those Microsoft document leaks don’t even mention marathon in there. So internally at the time of fielding the purchase, which was way before the Sony purchase and actual reveal, it was probably still being called by its codename.

They have quite a number of game concepts in incubation and I would imagine post launch support for Marathon will require to double their team size now just to support two games concurrently with three-month content drops and more…

The mobile partnership is with NetEase for Destiny Mobile and been in development across both companies for almost 4 years now I think.

Is there a third game? Yeah I think there is but there hasn’t been any info on it. I think it’s what they’re hiring Unreal Engine experience for. Probably the Valorant devteam that jumped ship I’d guess. Seems ways off.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
1500+ employees for a boring crappy live service game ? I really hope Marathon is good.
Hence why I am worried about ND doing GaaS crap. You need that much employees to support big GaaS. Thus, the studio doesn't make single player games anymore.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
The idea that Bungie stopped making single-player games is kinda off since Destiny is just Forever Halo sequel content. Same shit, different universe.

They didn’t have to change what they were and just build on what they’ve always been doing.

This is different from let’s say BioWare tho. BioWare was an rpg dev that took a swing way out of bounds from what they’re familiar with by making online and action driven gameplay system type of game. That was a huge risk expecting them to pull it off. I DO NOT agree with a dev stepping out of their comfort zone unless that’s what they actually want.

Like Monster Hunter World didn’t happen overnight. Numerous iterations and refining of core gameplay and interface over decades. Networking ideas having been tested and prepared for a big online game.

No one will bat an eye when Monster Hunter World 2 is essentially a GaaS or that Diablo 4 is. It works when it works.

I hate the bandwagon chasing so seeing stuff like suicide squad and Redfall are instantly recognizable as trash.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You’re making the assumption that Destiny content will end which is 100% incorrect. First story arc ends and new one will launch immediately. There are some leaks but they will be confirmed at the event in August. The current assumption is to have a rebuild and relaunch following the next expansion. This is also following the news both games will share engine and improvements. Much of current D2 is expected to be shelved in the cloud in some form (campaigns most likely).
I thought that the idea was that Final Shape was going to be a reshape of the game to focus it on the end game considering they'd move on to other games and wouldn't release any other major Destiny 2 update/expansion, and that was the reason of that name.

And also thought that thier original idea was that Destiny IP was designed as a 10 years project split across 3 games with a few expansions each but they ended reducing it to two games and added to Destiny 2 the stuff they planned for Destiny 3.

Matter is often still being mentioned as a different game from Marathon. Marathon is the “new IP” they were planning to release by 2024. Those Microsoft document leaks don’t even mention marathon in there. So internally at the time of fielding the purchase, which was way before the Sony purchase and actual reveal, it was probably still being called by its codename.
They said they planned to release "at least one" new IP before 2025, meaning that they were working in multiple (2 or more) new IPs that could be released before 2025.

I assume that the other 'new IPs' may have been kept for 2025 or later because of covid + extra work needed to integrate Bungie into Sony. Plus also now having more resources inside Sony they may want to put extra work in these IPs.

Also, now at Sony they have confirmed that will adapt their IPs to movies/tv shows, so this means that pretty likely will be Destiny the main one. So, if they don't continue working in Destiny 2 beyond the final shape I assume that they'll work on Destiny 3 because they -specially Sony- will want to continue milking the Destiny cash cow.

They have quite a number of game concepts in incubation and I would imagine post launch support for Marathon will require to double their team size now just to support two games concurrently with three-month content drops and more…

The mobile partnership is with NetEase for Destiny Mobile and been in development across both companies for almost 4 years now I think.
Some website said they have 1500 employees, a good growth after joining Sony. Considering AAA games typically use 150-250 devs from their lead studios to develop their games, the number is insane.

If the number is real they could be with at least 4 AAA games in full production + supporting Destiny 2 + making in-game the mobile game and CG movie/tv show in-house. But doesn't sound realistic to me.

I'd say they are working full production in 3 games (Destiny 2, Marathon and a new IP) plus that may have at 2 or 3 more in preproduction and that they will only overview th mobile game and movie / tv show adaptations.

Is there a third game? Yeah I think there is but there hasn’t been any info on it. I think it’s what they’re hiring Unreal Engine experience for. Probably the Valorant devteam that jumped ship I’d guess. Seems ways off.
They are working in minimum 3 IPs: Destiny 2, Marathon and another new IP (maybe Matter was a placeholder name for Marathon and this third game is another one, maybe Matter was a new IP since the start).

They said that planned to release "at least one new IP before 2025 / by 2025", meaning that they were working in minimum 2 new IPs and that minimum 2 of them (one being Marathon) not long ago had a temptative 2024/2025 potential release window.

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I thought that the idea was that Final Shape was going to be a reshape of the game to focus it on the end game considering they'd move on to other games and wouldn't release any other major Destiny 2 update/expansion, and that was the reason of that name.

And also thought that thier original idea was that Destiny IP was designed as a 10 years project split across 3 games with a few expansions each but they ended reducing it to two games and added to Destiny 2 the stuff they planned for Destiny 3.

So the original Activision plan as heard by Paul Tassi and last rumors was actually 5 boxed releases across 10 years. D2 was delayed and Rise of Iron thrown together as a rush job. That also changed entirely the moment they left the Activision partnership and there’s a reason to believe some Activision D3 concepts became Marathon/Matter after being carved out to be its own thing. Bungie’s official comment on Destiny is keeping it on-going for decades.

Final Shape has direct story meanings when it comes to its title. And they’ve already begun teasing the next story arc officially

They will talk about what’s coming after the next expansion. There is rumor there may NOT be a major expansion for the next year in order to pursue engine upgrades and a soft reboot. Luke Smith (now brand producer) hinted at such when he said he doesn’t expect player growth for the series until their next “jumping on” point after final Shape. But I doubt they’re skipping a year … development slides show their next destiny project to be bigger or as big as final shape.

There’s a massive technical hurdle ahead of them even with an engine upgrade. They’re not gonna remake every asset or keep everything active. I think they’re gonna cut massive chunks out of D2 again and put retired campaign content in cloud . I only expect raids, dungeons and pvp to stay to be honest. There’s no other way IMO.

Wholesale reworks aren’t unheard of. I hear FF14 is pursuing this path as well. Hell, they probably made FF16 just for that purpose 🤣

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So the original Activision plan as heard by Paul Tassi and last rumors was actually 5 boxed releases across 10 years.
The document of the Bungie + Activision contract for Destiny was leaked. I can't remember the exact amount of releases but it was mentioned there Destiny 1, 2 and 3 plus the amount of expansions (can't remember but were like a couple per game).

They will talk about what’s coming after the next expansion. There is rumor there may NOT be a major expansion for the next year in order to pursue engine upgrades and a soft reboot. Luke Smith (now brand producer) hinted at such when he said he doesn’t expect player growth for the series until their next “jumping on” point after final Shape. But I doubt they’re skipping a year … development slides show their next destiny project to be bigger or as big as final shape.
I don't know what they plan to do, but after The Final Shape I'd do Destiny 3.

I listed there the things I saw them mentioning or in the original Destiny roadmap. Things obviously may have changed since then, like the ones you mention and I didn't know or simply at some point changed their mind -specially when acquired by Sony- like continuing beyond with Destiny 2, or to make Destiny 3 or to have more unannounced stuff that they don't even hinted.

Last edited: