Bungie project code name payback cancelled

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yurinka has ALWAYS spread speculation that D2 was ending and Bungie moving to D3. Strongly… The reality is you don’t kmow. Live service is reactionary.

🤣

Payback was rumored to be D3 since the leaker who nailed the TFS leaks on prismatic mentioned it at such. In addition to revealing the now confirmed codename.

Some people still at bungie have made posts tonight on X saying “don’t believe everything you read” and the future of Destiny is promising etc…

But more than likely in a few weeks time we’ll have more official news now since the leaks will be uncontrollable. And of course Jason’s article everyone is thirsty to read.

Godspeed to Luke Smith and Mark Noseworthy. It’s also nice to finally see Luke Smith not demonized as some kinda of villain… because up until today he was shit on undeservingly for stuff he has nothing to do with probably lol .

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
Do not take Jason Schreier as gospel yes he has contacts in the industry but the thing is if D3 was in development at some point everybody involved on the project would be under a monster non disclosure agreement. Leaking anything would result in dismissal,lawsuits and a blacklisting from ever working in the industry again.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
All layoff plans were in the works for some time.

Payback cancelled in June. D2 Sunspot expansion project axed in 2023.

Two free seasons a year. Two paid (story) DLC a year. Launch concurrently. Bigger than episodes, smaller than typical expansion each. No more live seasonal narrative week to week. These changes have been in the works. RAIDs of course coming.

We are going from 4 story dlcs (1 expansion, 3 episodes a year to two). Considering how I don’t think that worked out with linear storytelling, each season feeling disjointed from the next and over arching plot and the FOMO of the love narrative… I don’t hate this at all. Also, way cleaner way to deal with the game than what’s actually 4 different items to purchase a year now down to 2.

Only way they can lean off Destiny revenue if Marathon launches. You would think it has a ballpark launch alongside Ps5 pro.

Sony still rumored to have taken over operations. Bungie was meant to manage live service for PlayStation in general. Future of Destiny has everything to do with Marathon launch and the new Destiny service model working out.

For Honor crossover happening … most likely armor etc

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Marathon delayed 2 years with a new director that is an extraction game,
When did this happen?

Destiny 2 has remained flat at best.
I mean the last game reviewed pretty well. It has kept a decent amount of fans for such a long game

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
When did this happen?

I mean the last game reviewed pretty well. It has kept a decent amount of fans for such a long game

Shortly after the reveal Marathon’s director was replaced with Joe Ziegler of Valorant fame along with a bunch of Valorant vets now at Bungie.

It happened like the week of the official reveal trailer. Don’t assume drama. Creator and director Christopher Barret was still at Bungie since unless he was part of these last layoffs. I’m under the assumption he’s now leading something else or helming that new Bungie spin-off studio.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Man enough with the hostility

This destiny 3 story is everywhere Vertigo isnt the only reporting this
It's everywhere because everybody parroted Jez's claim.

Yurinka has ALWAYS spread speculation that D2 was ending and Bungie moving to D3.
Bungie are the ones who said that The Final Shape is the last big expansion, the end of their 10 years Destiny roadmap and that will continue forward with a new format of smaller updates. Not me.

It's something understandable because the game is 7 years old, so players need something fresh. In Steam Lightfall underperformed and TFS was a big success but now after the TFS bump they are back to almost sub 50K daily Steam CCU peaks, which is the activity they had post Lightfall.

It's normal that during these 7 years they tried new ideas and soon start releasing new games, where they gamedev focus should be. The release of Marathon and the incubated game (Matter?) some time after it.

Regarding the next steps of Destiny, who knows. The common thing to do in GaaS with Destiny 2 is to reduce the investment on post launch content proportionally to its revenue reduction until at some point to replace it for another game. Which could be Marathon until they release the next Destiny. Which could use the same game SKU, being a game update instead of a separate SKU as they did with other GaaS.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Bungie are the ones who said that The Final Shape is the last big expansion, the end of their 10 years Destiny roadmap and that will continue forward with a new format of smaller updates. Not me.
Thats what I remember seeing.

I do wonder what the plans are next. Obviously release Marathon.
But eventually are they gonna do Destiny 3?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Thats what I remember seeing.

I do wonder what the plans are next. Obviously release Marathon.
But eventually are they gonna do Destiny 3?
I don't know.

When the acquisition they announced that they were working on movie/tv show adaptations of the Bungie IPs (in plural) and that the acquisition was going to help them in that from because of the obvious synergy with PlayStation Productions / Sony Pictures.

This leads to think that, maybe if in early stages, they may be working on adaptations of Destiny and Marathon. Meaning that they plan to keep working in the long term with both IPs. Sony spent 3.6B on them and the only big IP they had, a very important one, is Destiny. So they will want to milk it in the long term, not only with Destiny 2.

A couple years ago they knew the age of Destiny 2 and how long successful GaaS normally last, and that it was approaching its sunseting stage. So they must plan to release more Destiny games somewhere in the future.

Bungie also had a deal with Netease, but still haven't announced and published anything. It's fair to assume it's going to be something for mobile or PC. Some speculated that would be a Destiny mobile game, but were just rumors.

Sure, they may release some spinoffs or related mobile game. But what their fans will expect will be a Destiny 3, with updated visuals and with the changes and improvents that they knew were needed but were too big to be included in Destiny 2 updates.

So I bet that at some point they'll release Destiny 3. And that it's pretty likely that they already have it under development. Or at least should have it, it's what I'd do.