Bungie Teases Future Destiny plans … [REDACTED]

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

“And while our friendship with Joe continues on, so does the closing and polish process for The Final Shape, our Episodes, and our future [REDACTED] plans. And we could not be more excited to announce that these future efforts are already being Game Directed by the Halo, Myth, and Destiny veteran Tyson Green.”

This is the first mention of anything happening other than Episodes after The Final Shape expansion rolls out. Episodes will kick off shortly after The Final Shape, not alongside it, and replaces the seasonal model.

[REDACTED] implies a larger content release. No word on an expansion the year following Final Shape but this might indicate just that. Don’t expect Bungie to address speculation on such any time soon — unless it leaks.

Here are the first words of Tyson Green as new D2 director. Tyson will replace Joe Blackburn once The Final Shape end-to-end playtest concludes at the end of the month:

My time working with Bungie started with Myth II back in 1998 and has carried through almost every product we’ve released since. I’ve been pleased to be a part of Destiny from essentially the beginning, from early days introducing loot to our shooter culture, to more recent days guiding the brilliant teams responsible for the breadth of Destiny’s core systems: reward, combat, activity, social, and commerce systems.

Joe has always brought a lot of energy and creative vigor to the team, and it has been a pleasure to work on Destiny with him as a teammate and a friend. I expect we’re going to miss him terribly. To step into his role is humbling, but also energizing, and I look forward to carrying on his work in service to our players and our team.

My passion as a developer has always been to build the supports around which a community can grow. I came to Bungie from the fan community and aspire to build things that players can share as common interests. From Halo 3’s Forge and File Share systems to Destiny’s Buildcrafting and Fireteam Finder, I am proudest of the things that bring our community together in collaboration. I look forward to more such opportunities in The Final Shape and the years of Destiny beyond

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'd say "redacted" refers to an upcoming game: Marathon, Matter or more specifically, Destiny 3.

Notice he says "the years of Destiny beyond", not "years of Destiny 2 beyond".

The Final Shape concludes the 10 years of Destiny original plan. Once completed, the director moved away.

But now that Sony bought it, they'll want more Destiny games and adaptations to cinema, tv shows or anime. Bungie already wanted to make such adaptations, and such help was one of the reason of why sold to Sony. And such adaptations won't make sense without fresh games to also get nice profits from the gaming side.

Destiny 2 is 7 years old, and needs important changes to be up to date to the modern days. Stuff that can't be added with a normal game update or expansion. And well, they need to move from Destiny 2 to Destiny 3 before it's too late.

I think that after The FINAL Shape they'll have only minor updates and additions for Destiny 2 while they work in Destiny 3, which I bet it has been already in the works minimum since they agreed the acquisition.

Last edited:

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Just make the game harder and less fun to play for 99% of player and we good.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Why would they need to redact Marathon? It’s already announced

Yup. Why would Tyson Green take over directing Marathon which already has a director named Christopher Barrett? The language used here is to very specially talk about Destiny content. They only talk about Destiny in these blog posts. It could be D3 but it’s more likely d3 will launch in D2. To drop the number.

Marathon and Destiny will have the same engine. This is to the benefit of Destiny. They will vault stuff again. It sorta needs the quality control as well. Older assets look older etc..

Gummy Bears is Unreal Engine. Joe Ziegler is rumored to be director. Joe Ziegler and others came to Bungie from Riot and are key devs involved in creating Valorant. HOWEVER, directors could also be expansion content or seasonal team leads. We don’t know too much…

Add that to list of nonsense Yurinka spreads as fact. Like the assumption Joe Blackburn was destiny director for 10 years… 3 maybe 4? There have been many directors.

Matter is last heard to be canned and scrapped a few years ago. There are four active game directors at Bungie.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I would love a Destiny 3.

But I was also imagining a traditional shooter based on the Destiny universe.

With a multiplayer mode too.

Just like shooters used to do.

I think Marathon looks amazing.

I'm kinda enticed to go back to D1 and see how it is looking back.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Seems like they’re doing some rounds thru games press.

Gamespot dropped an article a few days ago with some words from bungie on what narrative changes we will see with the change to episodes.

Senior narrative designer Nikko Stevens explained that part of the problem with the predictability of recent seasons is due to dealing with live-game development. A repeated structure gives Bungie a baseline to follow, allowing the studio to create content more efficiently over time and get it out to players at a consistent clip. You get better at a pattern the more often you do it. But that can have unintended side effects, like making the content feel predictable.

"When you create a framework for how content should be made, it makes it easier to produce that content quickly because everyone's on the same page, but it can also be predictable because everyone's on the same page," he explained. "So injecting more variability into those frameworks is something that we've been talking about and learning about."

Aztecross’ video offering some more insight on the article