Bungie was the worst possible acquisition for Sony, Square Enix would be WAY better

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
A studio like this is just 1 game away from greatness again. But Destiny is tired, time for new IP, with management oversight.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's the way y'all are writing off Bungie when they haven't released a single new game in almost as a decade.

If Marathom and project Gummy Bear flops then absolutely they were horrible purchase. But it's a bit unfair to say so? Currently

And Square ain't a good purchase...
I think it was a bad purchase because their corporate values aren't aligned. Bungie has become a company dedicated to squeezing their userbase for all they're worth. I don't want Sony to take any lessons from that.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
So this is the new M$ astroturfing campaign, suggesting Sony bought the wrong studios, a new Sony too movement where it isn't just M$ that have acquired duds and mismanaged them to ground. Fuck this narrative.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I think it was a bad purchase because their corporate values aren't aligned. Bungie has become a company dedicated to squeezing their userbase for all they're worth. I don't want Sony to take any lessons from that.
Sony has been doing that under Jim Ryan but even so we should allow Bungie to at least release their games beforr we write them off.

A month ago nobody was vouging for ArrowHead now everyone wants them acquired. Bungie has bad business practices sure, but if they deliver they stand to make PlayStation a lot of money too.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sony has been doing that under Jim Ryan but even so we should allow Bungie to at least release their games beforr we write them off.

A month ago nobody was vouging for ArrowHead now everyone wants them acquired. Bungie has bad business practices sure, but if they deliver they stand to make PlayStation a lot of money too.
No they haven't.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's never been more expensive to game on PlayStation. Both companies are money hungry in different ways.
Sony has been getting greedier does not mean "squeezing you for all you're worth". They are very different degrees of awful. All companies want your money. The gap between Sony's practices and Bungie's is large and I don't want that gap shortening. Why is this difficult to comprehend?

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Sony has been getting greedier does not mean "squeezing you for all you're worth". They are very different degrees of awful. All companies want your money. The gap between Sony's practices and Bungie's is large and I don't want that gap shortening. Why is this difficult to comprehend?
It's the fact you think Bungie will somehow influence Sony's money scheming ambitions that is difficult to comprehend.

If Bungie hit it out the park they'll reward Sony handsomely. And the forced hate train on them is ridiculous. End of the day ifba company is predatory then simply don't support

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Bungie has zero respect for the people that enjoy their games, one of the worst and most toxic studios in the game industry. Shameful that Sony paid so much for them.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Im sure Bungie will bring in the dollars with Destiny 3, Marathon and other IPs. And Desiny 2 is still probably bringing in money so Im happy we have another big studio.

Sony does need a JRPG machine though, Square would be great and they also add to the multiplayer/online games with FF14 and the next online FF.
But as far as talent, outside of the team that made FF7 and FF16/FF14 they havent got alot going.

Especially since losing Acquire to FromSoft. But it would be totally worth it.
Id rather FromSoft but Square would be a smart choice too

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Other than Housemarque I didn't like any of their acquisitions since Insomniac. Blue Point hasn't done anything besides remakes and seems like Sony bet on them moving on to their own game when they bought them, since then we got nothing from them.

I like Bluepoint, but Sony should keep them making remakes or a least a part of the studio doing that. They made Demons Souls in 2 years after SOTC.
Made profit despite being a full PS5 exclusive with the smallest instal base. So it didnt take 5+ years to make, it took 2 years to make.
Why not make more games that dont take so long.

They could have easily remade 2 games in these 4 years. A CastleVania SOTN, MGS, DMC, Jak&Daxters, Ico, Killzone, Resistance etc etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Square doesn’t want to sell (or merge, which would be most likely) so this discussion is pointless.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I like Bluepoint, but Sony should keep them making remakes or a least a part of the studio doing that. They made Demons Souls in 2 years after SOTC.

They could have easily remade 2 games in these 4 years. A CastleVania SOTN, MGS, DMC, Jak&Daxters, Ico, Killzone, Resistance etc etc
They should be given the chance to flex their muscles at making an original game like they actually want to. If they fail then they can go back to that route

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They should be given the chance to flex their muscles at making an original game like they actually want to. If they fail then they can go back to that route
They should, but they should of let some of the team make another remake in the meantime. They could of made 2 games in 4 years. I have no idea about there abilities to make a new ip, but they have some of the best ability to remake games.

Plenty of classics from PS1-PS3 they could go through