Business Segment Meeting 2024

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
i totally missed all the meeting talking and etc, but im glad to see that the gow and horizon adaptations to prime video and netflix still a thing, the expansion of playstation IPs to cinema and tv is something im very much into, does anyone know what was talked about them?

Reactions: arvfab

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Because Tony Vinciquerra is an old media guy who has a narrow view of where media is going and as is typical sony is short sighted and small visioned.

It'll be great selling to Amazon, Netflix, HBO, Disney, and Peacock for the next 10 years, but in 15-20 years, they'll all have substantially cut down on external costs and moved to create and prioritize their own content.

Meanwhile, Sony will be left holding the bag on diminished film and tv studios and while the IP may diminish in value as a result of the times.

P+ has 71 million subscribers and fueled by Sony content could easily rise to be one of the top 3 streamers in the long run and compete directly with Netflix and Amazon.

Sony's positioning themselves to be bought out at this point. Always the small fish.
Yes, but aren't people cooling on sub services since there isn't enough profit in the industry? I'm sure they've run the numbers before making the offer.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Yes, but aren't people cooling on sub services since there isn't enough profit in the industry? I'm sure they've run the numbers before making the offer.

That's why I say it is shortsighted. You can't make that determination just for the next few years. They should have the vision to see how media is consumed 10-15+ years from now.

They're ushering themselves into a corner.

As for whatever offer they eventually make for Paramount, it looks at least from the outside that they're having an issue paying for it, which is why they're trying to narrow the focus to the studios.

As for P+ they'll probably try to sell it off to WBD, who can use it to boost Max. WBD could also be a potential buyer for CBS, giving them a broadcast channel. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the rest of the linear media, but overall, just super shortsighted.

It's why they've seen companies like Apple, Netflix, and Samsung completely eat their lunch.

Same with how they could have owned the media rights to all of marvel for small money but didn't want anything but spider-man.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
i totally missed all the meeting talking and etc, but im glad to see that the gow and horizon adaptations to prime video and netflix still a thing, the expansion of playstation IPs to cinema and tv is something im very much into, does anyone know what was talked about them?

They were only mentioned, but I don't think they're far enough into development for anyone to really discuss.

PlayStation Productions came out of the gate hot, but maybe the writer strike has really slowed them down.

It doesn't look like they'll produce anything new to release for this year. We don't even have any cast for any of the new/confirmed productions... that's not the best sign that anything is actually close to production.

We're probably 2-3 years out from seeing any of these things, which is kind of staggering. I thought they would be dropping a new movie and a new tv show per year...

Reactions: Ico

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Concerning that they were asked directly about pc sales cannibalizing console sales and they both only gave handwaving responses.

Would've liked a response along the lines of "yes, we are aware and closely monitoring the situation"
Yes Hermen essentially ignored the investor question & reinstated the PC strategy.

If he answer the question he would acknowledge how PC ports due harm & cannibalize PS platform & storefront & harm the maximization of PS hardware sells, PS games sells, PS subscription, PS competitiveness & more. Which would scare investor & further question Sony why there following Xbox strategy/route which resulted in Xbox imploding instead of following leaders like Nintendo, Steam, Apple, Netflix etc who continue to grow. Seems Sony doesn’t want PS to grow naturally, smoothly, slower? & seek rampant & fast growth even if it cost PS own platform & storefront the short term profit & growth seems to outweigh a more logical & slower/safer trajectory of growth.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
It
It’s pretty easy to understand that streaming service are just black holes that burn cash.

Why would Sony keep Paramount+ which is by far the weakest subscription mainly due to weak ip & exclusive content. It would take billions to turn around Paramount+ I would say near 5-10 years of burning cash to turn around a subscription that at the bare minimum can compete with MAX & that’s a 80/20 ratio of it not going anywhere so might aswell dissolve it or sell it & get back some of the billions back.

Seems the Paramount acquisition is solely for TMNT, SpongeBob/Nickelodeon, Tom Cruise/MIP & the movie rights of Sonic & Transformer & some other minimal ip. Still for 26 billion I feel like all of those ip aren’t worth 26 maybe at 13 billion you can do some finessing selling asset Sony doesn’t need to recoup.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
P+ has 71 million subscribers and fueled by Sony content could easily rise to be one of the top 3 streamers in the long run and compete directly with Netflix and Amazon.
P+ had 70+ million subscribers? I’m guessing most are coming from NFL or sports?

I can see Sony wanting to sell P+ & maybe in the future buying WB considering MAX holds TLOU & holds better shows & stronger ip then Paramount & P+.

I could see Peacock buying P+

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Same with how they could have owned the media rights to all of marvel for small money but didn't want anything but spider-man.
Biggest fumble. I would kill myself, literally.

Imagine Sony owning Marvel & having the rights to Marvel Movies, Marvel animation & Marvel games exclusive to Sony own subscription or PS gaming console.

It’s interesting that they would skip Marvel entirely when it wasn’t that much more to have Marvel as a whole

Fortinbras

6 May 2024
It’s pretty easy to understand that streaming service are just black holes that burn cash.

Yep

UCC6grc.jpeg

Yes Hermen essentially ignored the investor question & reinstated the PC strategy.

If he answer the question he would acknowledge how PC ports due harm & cannibalize PS platform & storefront & harm the maximization of PS hardware sells, PS games sells, PS subscription, PS competitiveness & more. Which would scare investor & further question Sony why there following Xbox strategy/route which resulted in Xbox imploding instead of following leaders like Nintendo, Steam, Apple, Netflix etc who continue to grow. Seems Sony doesn’t want PS to grow naturally, smoothly, slower? & seek rampant & fast growth even if it cost PS own platform & storefront the short term profit & growth seems to outweigh a more logical & slower/safer trajectory of growth.

Nintendo a leader? Nintendo growing? Nintendo safer?

Only a fool would follow a declining company whose leaders have wasted 20 years trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

m5F3cNe.jpeg

Hermen ignored the question because PC Gaming will always be a niche market in the West.

EA

7RmoXRU.jpeg

Take Two

cO6o3lW.jpeg

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yep

UCC6grc.jpeg

Only a fool would follow a declining company whose leaders have wasted 20 years trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

m5F3cNe.jpeg

Hermen ignored the question because PC Gaming will always be a niche market in the West.

EA

7RmoXRU.jpeg

Take Two

cO6o3lW.jpeg

EA and Take Two are not platform holders

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yep

UCC6grc.jpeg

m5F3cNe.jpeg

EA

7RmoXRU.jpeg

Take Two

cO6o3lW.jpeg
You wanna know why game sales on pc are low?

Big hint, starts with a p and ends with an -iracy

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Concerning that they were asked directly about pc sales cannibalizing console sales and they both only gave handwaving responses.

Would've liked a response along the lines of "yes, we are aware and closely monitoring the situation"
They didn't ignore it. 35:15 of the video:

Nishino replied when asked about possible cannibalization: "SIE's strategy is grow their userbase in all platforms... of course some customers we'll move from PC to console. If customers focused on PC find value on console they move to console. So rather than cannibalization I think it is an opportunity for growth."

Hermen continued: "Indeed we're bring our titles to the PC platform and we have a dual approach: live services titles get released day and date on PS5 and PC. But for our tentpole titles, the single player narrative driven titles, that are the backbone of our what PS Studios has delivered in recent years and in our history, we take a more strategic approach: we introduce our great franchises to new audiences, and we're finding new audiences that are potentially going to be very interested for example sequels on the PS platform.

We have high hopes that we're actually able to bring new players into PlayStation at large but also to PS platforms specifically. Actually, the same goals apply for the work that we do with extending our properties into other media such as movies or tv shows: that brings in new players into our franchises as well."

TLDR: They did say it's something that grows their userbase, and also the console one in particular, instead of canibalizing sales. Something that matches with great hardware sales with a big percent of new users and seeing the sequels of the ported games selling the same or even better when released only on PS5. To the point some of them like Spider-Man 2 or GoWR broke sales records.

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Microsoft put's AAA games on Gamepass day 1
"Sony is going to get left behind, they have an outdated video game distribution system, $70 game bad, arrogant Sony, MS will close the gap'

Microsoft goes 3rd party & gives up on exclusivity
'Sony literally cannot sustain exclusives, they have razor thin margins, they NEED other platforms because they are running an unsustainable business, consoles will soon die by the hands of Steam, which is why they should go day and date with PC!"

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Dragon's Dogma was multiplatform. There is no way Rise of the Ronin is anywhere close to 3 million units.
It's real simple to calculate sales these days. Xbox people flat out dont buy any games, we have the Steam numbers, and DD2 is being outsold on PS5 by Rise of the Ronin, ot will probably catch DD2 in total sales eventually. I think it has already outsold DD2 on PS5 in total sales.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yep

UCC6grc.jpeg

m5F3cNe.jpeg

EA

7RmoXRU.jpeg

Take Two

cO6o3lW.jpeg

Excellent stuff, love seeing the facts laid out in figures everyone can understand.

Without console, gaming would collapse.