California law to force digital storefronts to say people aren't buying games there, only the license to play them.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This is a step in the right direction but it should really be like the European Union where you own the digital purchases you make.
You don't own it no matter how European Union says.
You own the license to play the game.

What California is doing is correct because at any time the publisher could choose to shutdown the server and you lose the license to play the game.
So you really don't own it.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
You didn't own it no matter how European Union says.
You own the license to play the game.

What California is doing is correct because at any time the publisher could choose to shutdown the server and you lose the license to play the game.
So you really don't own it.
Yes but anyone in a country part of the European Union can take a company to court if they take away their digital game purchases

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yes but anyone in a country part of the European Union can take a company to court if they take away their digital game purchases
But they will do nothing if they take the servers off from a game...
And even that part of "can" take them to court is indeed "can"... no company can maintain a digital store forever... it is more critical for old platforms.
You can't maintain PS3 store forever... in 10 years we will be talking about PS4 Store going down... after PS5 Store going down.
On Steam old games are removed all the time by publishers... when you got lucky the publisher release a newer version of the game (that you have to buy again) others time they just remove and do nothing.

Having to support a digital game server forever is utopian.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Laws should hold them accountable to taking content down. They should be compelled to guarantee a minimum availability time.
That I agree.

But not everything is set on stone... there are lot of options.

Following your logic Concord servers should not be shutdown with two weeks...

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
If you're paying 80 euro or even 40-50 Ina sale... That should always be owned by you. Nobody should ever be able to take it away.

The language needs to make it clear, so I agree with the principles.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Can I have a link? Is this an actual law or just a bill or referendum (most of which fail?)

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
What's the difference? Even buying physical it's a license.

People are acting like something changed. How gullible.

• haha
Reactions: Nym