California law to force digital storefronts to say people aren't buying games there, only the license to play them.

OP
OP
T

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
If you're paying 80 euro or even 40-50 Ina sale... That should always be owned by you. Nobody should ever be able to take it away.

The language needs to make it clear, so I agree with the principles.

PSN and Xbox's terms are much more aggressive and asinine than Steam's, though.

In the instance of you saying the wrong thing in a group chat or forum, during in-game chat or even a comment in the official blog (i.e. getting a ban from community guidelines):

On Steam, you can have your account banned and still access your games and buy new ones. You only lose access to community features.
On Xbox and PSN, Sony and Microsoft say fuck you and your money and your games because you just lose access to everything.
On the Xbox you can still access your previously downloaded single player games so I guess if you have all your games backed up on an external drive you can still play them forever.

Can I have a link? Is this an actual law or just a bill or referendum (most of which fail?)
It has passed already.

What's the difference? Even buying physical it's a license.

People are acting like something changed. How gullible.

Even banned devices (e.g. tampered with piracy chips, etc.) are allowed to play physical games. Microsoft and Sony can't do shit to you if you only use physical single-player games. They can't remote kill consoles.

The gullibles are the ones believing it's the same thing between paying for owning a disc with the game and paying the same amount for the license to play a game as long as Microsoft and Sony let you.
The difference is actually huge in what concerns your right to play the game.

OP
OP
T

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Good. Digital is a poor distribution method and it should be known.

They're poor because Sony and Microsoft swept predatory and authoritarian terms of service without proper coverage from access media (because they're corrupt sellouts).

All they have to do is get community managers that behave like reddit admins who do permabans for stuff like "men aren't women", and a lot of people will lose access to all their games.

They can even get as predatory as they want, like banning accounts who are critical of their games within their communities. They can call "harassment" to anything they want, really.